Third week. Why is this getting so much harder?

Options
I was set at 2 pounds a week and went through it like a breeze for the first two weeks, losing six pounds at once (and yes I know some of it was water weight).

This past week, I really struggled, consistently eating well over my allotted calories. Yesterday I caved and set it to one pound a week, and it was a lot easier. Today, I stayed under my calorie goal for one pound week - just made it by a smidgen, and I'm sitting here just thinking about how much I want to put food in my mouth.

The only thing I can think of is that I should exercise more and eat more - I exercised less this week.

Other than that, any ideas? Shared experiences? My diary is open.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to .5 pound per week and add back in some exercise.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Any specific reason why?
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so not totally sure what "calories" you are eating. However if you tend to eat empty calories I.e. Chips you may be under your calories but not getting full. Try some more dense foods that have lower calories but keep you full. Also don't forget to hydrate yourself, sometimes when I'm "hungry" I find that a glass of water is all I really needed. Good luck you've got this.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Because you are hungry, you will reach your goal but it will take a little longer. No sense in being miserable.
  • augustremulous
    Options
    @queenliz aha gotcha.

@AtmaKing hmm, I'm not sure why. My food diary is set to public. Is anyone else having that problem? Maybe it's an MFP bug. Though other users have commented on my food.

Also not sure why you are putting "calories" in quotes. I am logging my food very closely.
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone and not the web so maybe that has something to do with it. I didn't mean anything by the quotes. Also the closer you get to your maintenance weight the slower the process will be and Liz is right by having you back down your deficit.
  • augustremulous
    Options
    lol ok but I've only lost 6 pounds out of 90. Still 84 more to go!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? Just curious. I was looking through your diary and some of your entries are wrong. Not that this is a problem yet, but you say you are hungry. Your diary has errors.
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request & will look at your food diary. My diary is open if you want to view it.
  • augustremulous
    Options
    What are the errors?

So far I'm using a food scale for oils, grains, sugars, meat, etc. I use measuring cups and measuring spoons for vegetables and spices, because the margin of error is so slight anyway.

• DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Protein and fiber, in that order, will keep you satiated longer then other foods. Make sure you are getting plenty of both.
    Try drinking two 8 oz. or more glasses of water about twenty to thirty minutes before a meal. This seems to make me less hungry when it's mealtime. Good luck.
  • augustremulous
    Options
    @DoneWorking Thanks! I've definitely noticed better satiety when I've had a lot of protein.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Yesterday, You have half of an egg, dry measure of oatmeal(oatmeal needs to be weighed), you used quick add calories, homemade popcorn(is this your recipe)?
  • augustremulous
    Options
    The recipe I used had one egg in it, and I measured half of the pot of food on the scale - I ate half and put the other half in the fridge.

Yes, the homemade popcorn is my standard recipe for whenever I have popcorn. It's in my recipes. Exactly one tablespoon of grapeseed oil and 30 grams of uncooked popcorn, which I weigh.

The oatmeal is also weighed at 40 grams. Since that company is in the MFP system, it comes out to one serving = 40 grams = 1/4 cup

Like I said above, I weigh grains and fat. The quick add calories were an estimate (probably an overestimation if anything) of the fresh basil, sliced jalepeno, and bean sprouts I put in my pho.

I don't mean to sound defensive, but I don't think these are examples of errors unless you think I could have been off with the garnish of raw veggies.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I'm sorry, I was just checking. Now back to your dilemma. You could up your exercise a little to give you some more calories per day and up your protein and fat a little.
  • augustremulous
    Options
    :) yeah, I guess that's what I have to do. It just seemed so easy the first two weeks! I ended the first week and was like "yes! I can totally do this 50 more times!"
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I know, I'm sorry it sucks. Try to eat foods that are lower in calories but fill you up. Hang in there :)
  • angel7073
    angel7073 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks the weight tends to fall off, according to my trainer at the gym. I lost 6 or 7 pounds the first week. I've been back at the weight loss game for about a month now. I've noticed this last week that it's getting slower. Of course, I also missed going to the gym for a few days, too.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Do you think that eating less throughout the day but eating a smaller but more calorie-rich meal suits you or do you like eating a lot of food, but the items in it are various low calorie items? Such as a protein dinner with a small potato vs a large zucchini-noodle dish with tons of veg and protein?