Balance

Options
Hello,
I'm looking for help in figuring out the ratio I need for protein, carbs and fat. Also how many calories I should be having in a day.
I currently lift twice a week and try to run 1-2 times a week. I'm a nurse so I'm on my feet a lot and always take the stairs.

Any links or sites that could help would be great!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just use the numbers MFP gives you. Is there some reason why you feel it should be changed? The ratios are generally accepted health guidelines as I'm sure you know, being in healthcare. Unless you have some medical or fitness competition reason why you need to change them, they work.

The larger issue is your complete and accurate logging procedures. Once you've established a baseline of numbers you can experiment, but that will be months away.

Some people who are trying to gain muscle will swear by higher protein. What is your reasoning for wanting to change the defaults? That will help people target their answers.
  • tlehde13
    tlehde13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My trainer was saying I needed to have 170g protein, <100g carb , & 70g fat. I thought it seemed extreme with the protein
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Has your trainer given you a rationale for those amounts?

Why such high protein and lower carb?

Does that way of eating suit you, is it something you can adhere to long term?

As for calories, how many does MFP give you?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    tski13 wrote: »
    My trainer was saying I needed to have 170g protein, <100g carb , & 70g fat. I thought it seemed extreme with the protein

Yeah that does seem a tad excessive for protein. How much do you weigh? I think the general recommendation is 0.8-1g protein per lb of body weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm looking for help in figuring out the ratio I need for protein, carbs and fat. Also how many calories I should be having in a day.
    I currently lift twice a week and try to run 1-2 times a week. I'm a nurse so I'm on my feet a lot and always take the stairs.

Any links or sites that could help would be great!

170g protein, 100g carb and 70g fat will give you 1710 calories. The ratio is 40% protein, 23% carb, 37% fat.
    I think that is way too much protein. If you think this is extreme, you could a) discuss that with your trainer, ask why he/she gave you that advice and/or help setting up a meal plan and try it out, or b) disregard the instructions your trainer gave you, and figure out your needs yourself. You could start with the MFP default, 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat, and change it if it doesn't work. But first determine calories. Calories trumps everything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Something like 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein is a good place to start