How to gain weight healthily?

Options
Not for me, but for my boyfriend. I'm looking for some advice to help my boyfriend put on a little weight. He's about 5'11 and right now weighs around 67.5 kilos/148 pounds, which is right on the border of being underweight.

We're both super active with both sports and working out, so he's in good physical condition, but I don't think he's at a healthy weight. I think he probably needs to gain at least 5-10 pounds. I don't think he's eating enough or regularly or the right mix of things. He'll eat only a teeny tiny bit until dinner, but then eat a ton at dinner, plus snacks late into the night. He eats almost no breakfast or if he does it will only be some bread or something and then at work tends to eat out a lot for lunch. He also loves junk food and fast food a little bit too much. So basically he has terrible eating habits, but is still underweight.

He recognizes that this is a problem and wants to gain some weight in a healthy way, but isn't really sure how to do it. Anyone have any advice how he can start and how I can help him?

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I would start by getting him to have his own account and his own thread.... He needs to own this - not you. You can't force someone to be healthy - you can just give them the tools.

That said - A carb/protein bar to replace breakfast would be a quick and easy start.
  • Disinte_GratioN
    Options
    A gallon of milk a day plus protein protein protein......did i mention protein?
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    He's not really interested in having an account, but he does want this for himself. He asked me for some ideas and I thought I would ask everyone around here for some ideas how to get extra calories/nutrients.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    All he has to do is eat more, but healthy foods. If he has trouble eating in the morning, then a protein shake or bar would probably help him a lot.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    healthy foods --- meat, vegetables, potatoes, lots of protein and some carbs
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    A gallon of milk a day plus protein protein protein......did i mention protein?

This.

Here is link to a weight gain diet.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-gain-weight-for-skinny-guys/
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    So basically he has terrible eating habits, but is still underweight.

Lucky bugger! haha.

I have a friendd who is like that though. He wants to gain some weight, eats like a machine, and just can't. It's crazy.

As others have said, more protein is a good start, and I second the protein shake idea if he doesnt really enjoy "eating" breakfast.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Maybe he should go to a Dr. to have some blood work done. It sounds to me like he might have a hyperthyroid issue. Your body producing too much hormone will cause you to have a very active metabolism and be go-go-go all the time. It does sound like he should make more of an effort to eat a solid breakfast though.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! We're going bouldering in the morning tomorrow so I'm making him come over to my house earlier so we can have a good breakfast together. I think the protein shake is a good suggestion. Would probably help him a lot, especially since he really likes milkshakes.