I am so hungry

Options
jonnucke
jonnucke Posts: 62 Member
im starving, not literally. i am currently limiting to 1750 calories. i have had lunch and then an orange for a snack. i just drank 24 oz of water. i am about to tear up my keyboard. Any advice on powering through hunger?

Replies

• auntv77
    auntv77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Add lots more veggies. Broccoli fills me up for a long time.
    I am at approx1800 calories. Here is my planned day (and I never feel hungry). I will also get in 1 hour of weightlifting with hiit cardio mixed in...

breakfast:
    2 eggs
    1 cup red pepper
    3 breakfast sausages

snack:
    1 oz nuts (yes really weigh them)
    1 cup carrots

lunch:
    2.5 oz lean pork loin
    2 cups steamed broccoli with a TINY bit of butter
    1 lean protein shake

snack:
    1 hard boiled egg (or another oz of nuts)
    1 cup cherry tomatoes

dinner:
    2.5 oz grilled shirt steak
    2 cups fajita veggies
    (I should be adding a cup of legumes but I am not a fan so I will likely double my meat)

snack:
    3 tablesppons hummus
    1 cup cucumbers
    (I usually skip this snack in lieu of a super early bedtime)
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Is that the number that MFP gave you or are you setting too aggressive a goal for weight loss? Being able to see your stats and your food diary would help people give you better advice.

Generally, make sure you're eating foods that are high in protein and fiber, because they typically make you feel fuller. Make sure you keep some low-cal, but sating foods on hand, like roasted almonds, string cheese, hard-boiled eggs, etc.

The first couple of weeks can be rough, but just keep going.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you eating? Sometimes it's trial and error, you need to figure out how your body reacts to certain foods. Have you added more protein to your diet? vegetables?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Loading up on protein is a good way to get more bang for your buck as well, far more filling than an equivalent caloric amount of carbs.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Loading up on protein is a good way to get more bang for your buck as well, far more filling than an equivalent caloric amount of carbs.

This has helped me SO MUCH. I really try to have a certain amount of protein throughout the day to keep me full. And I really do love high protein food, so I feel HAPPY and full. String cheese, greek yogurt, nuts- really adding small snacks has helped!

Good luck!
  • jonnucke
    Options
    right now MFP gave me around 1,800. im trying to stick to it. I usually have some good snacks planned but i need to go to the grocery and have been unable to in the last few days. Sadly i cant eat hard boiled eggs, its a texture thing. i feel like i might loose my lunch just think in about it. I ran out of almonds at work two days ago and yesterday i was running around like crazy so i didnt have time to think about eating. Also very new to MFP so im trying to keep up diary
  • jonnucke
    Options
    auntv77 wrote: »
    Add lots more veggies. Broccoli fills me up for a long time.
    I am at approx1800 calories. Here is my planned day (and I never feel hungry). I will also get in 1 hour of weightlifting with hiit cardio mixed in...

breakfast:
    2 eggs
    1 cup red pepper
    3 breakfast sausages

snack:
    1 oz nuts (yes really weigh them)
    1 cup carrots

lunch:
    2.5 oz lean pork loin
    2 cups steamed broccoli with a TINY bit of butter
    1 lean protein shake

snack:
    1 hard boiled egg (or another oz of nuts)
    1 cup cherry tomatoes

dinner:
    2.5 oz grilled shirt steak
    2 cups fajita veggies
    (I should be adding a cup of legumes but I am not a fan so I will likely double my meat)

snack:
    3 tablesppons hummus
    1 cup cucumbers
    (I usually skip this snack in lieu of a super early bedtime)

thats a good day,
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pro-protein posters. Try to have a little with every meal, including snacks. I keep some turkey breast slices in the fridge for this purpose. Two or three slices ought to do the trick. Just make sure to read the nutrition label for sodium content. I like the kind that has no nitrates and low sodium. Sometimes I eat them plain, sometimes I slather them with mashed avocado and roll them up with red pepper strips.
  • Loricsr2016
    Loricsr2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of powerhouse foods that I rely on every single day. One of them is a high-fiber, low-carb tortilla. I'm talking like 12 grams of fiber per tortilla and only 80 calories. Wrap those babies around just about anything. We get them at WalMart. The other one is from Trader Joe's and they're individual fiber cakes. They have apple-cranberry and blueberry. They're the size of a small muffin and they have, I believe, 11 or 12 grams of fiber and 80 calories. They're a bit intense, so I put spreadable fruit on top or dunk them in coffee.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Protein at every meal and fruit throughout rhe day. Rarely feel hungry.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound like MFP police, but that doesn't sound like enough calories for a 31 year old man. Try putting numbers in this calculator as a double check.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

For me, nothing cures hunger like good fats such as an avocado, butter, or protein. I could eat a lb of veggies and still be hungry!! Also i agree with @cherylmurray83 what she said about the turkey/chicken slices...that totally works!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It took me a good month to figure out what meals kept me full the longest. I realized salads always made me super hungry so I stopped having them and had burrito bowls instead. I keep my fat on the high side and that seems to help my hunger along with protein
  • jonnucke
    Options
    It took me a good month to figure out what meals kept me full the longest. I realized salads always made me super hungry so I stopped having them and had burrito bowls instead. I keep my fat on the high side and that seems to help my hunger along with protein

a burrito bowl sounds good, care to elaborate?
  • jonnucke
    Options
    I hate to sound like MFP police, but that doesn't sound like enough calories for a 31 year old man. Try putting numbers in this calculator as a double check.

For me, nothing cures hunger like good fats such as an avocado, butter, or protein. I could eat a lb of veggies and still be hungry!! Also i agree with @cherylmurray83 what she said about the turkey/chicken slices...that totally works!

Interesting you should say that, I was using my Samsung SHealth to track, and the calorie intake was bout 2200. i came across the MFP app and site and i like this it allot better because i dont have to type things in on my phone. ALSO i cannot carry my phone where i work, or fit bit (wearable) due to nature of work.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    jonnucke wrote: »

a burrito bowl sounds good, care to elaborate?

Well It's basically chicken breast seasoned with paprika, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. 1/2 cup or 130 grams of Chili beans,30 grams of Spinach, Some green Onion and 2 tbsp of sour cream and 20 grams of shredded cheese. Obviously you can add other things like rice and other veggies this is just what I like in mine and you can make them super fast.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

This is telling me to have 300 more cals a day than MFP - any suggestions??
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I also try a glass of water when I'm hungry and, failing that, doing something that distracts me until the next meal. I find I am hungriest on the days when I've eaten (salty / sugary) processed food eg cake/ biscuits / crisps or ready-made food.
  • DHLFITNESS25
    DHLFITNESS25 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely add more veggies for volume and also zero calorie carbonated drinks like diet coke or sparkling water. They will help curb your appetite. Coffee also serves as an appetizer suppressant. Good Luck!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? I try hard to eat as many low calories foods as possible and one ingredient items such as apple, bananas, grapes, carrots, broccoli, etc. If you drink diet soda that can help as well. They do tend to bloat you so not a lot per day but they may help you feel fuller. Try to eat a veggie with each meal. For breakfast I will eat like 2-3 eggwhites scrambled with sliced tomato and peppers/onions sauteed in avacado or olive oil. Some days I may eat tuna for breakfast and carrot sticks on the side. Tuna is very low in calories (any fish is pretty much). Just change it all up a bit.