Body fat percentage of 37%, but my weight is 138 at 5'5". Seriously???

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    12by311 wrote: »
    I would incorporate good quality foods, body fat is where the calories in calories out thing is debunked.

:|

Hey its true, stay under your calories and eat twinkies all day and see if your waist size goes down.

Hate to shatter your beliefs, but that experiment has already been done. He lost 27 pounds in 2 months:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Lol you find the one study in the corner of the world that fits your argument, so do you really think that if 500 people ate Twinkie diets, the majority of those people will lose a substantial amount of body fat sir?

Whether the fat loss was substantial would depend on how long they ate this way. Do you believe that people can eat only 500 calories per day and not lose fat?
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would incorporate good quality foods, body fat is where the calories in calories out thing is debunked.

Hey its true, stay under your calories and eat twinkies all day and see if your waist size goes down.

Hate to shatter your beliefs, but that experiment has already been done. He lost 27 pounds in 2 months:

Lol you find the one study in the corner of the world that fits your argument, so do you really think that if 500 people ate Twinkie diets, the majority of those people will lose a substantial amount of body fat sir?

Whether the fat loss was substantial would depend on how long they ate this way. Do you believe that people can eat only 500 calories per day and not lose fat?

Its just that boards like this where people have a PhD in Google give others that need information bad information, and champion eating bad foods when in reality people need good nutritious food. Most people that want to lose weight, if they lose weight on a Twinkie diet will have severe body composition issues and will need to essentially start their diet again to lose the body fat. If you sit with a nutritionist or people at the gym who are healthy and have a good proportioned body will never tell you " yes go on a Twinkie diet and you will lose fat " because it's not the truth. I just don't want to see people go down a path of failure because some random person did this I'll advised one sided study on twinkies and now people think you can have more twinkies than vegetables.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Its just that boards like this where people have a PhD in Google give others that need information bad information, and champion eating bad foods when in reality people need good nutritious food. Most people that want to lose weight, if they lose weight on a Twinkie diet will have severe body composition issues and will need to essentially start their diet again to lose the body fat. If you sit with a nutritionist or people at the gym who are healthy and have a good proportioned body will never tell you " yes go on a Twinkie diet and you will lose fat " because it's not the truth. I just don't want to see people go down a path of failure because some random person did this I'll advised one sided study on twinkies and now people think you can have more twinkies than vegetables.

I think you are misunderstanding the message. It's not "you should only eat Twinkies" It's "you don't have to 100% "healthy foods" to lose weight"

No one is advocating eating a poor diet. Bad information is giving people the notion that they can't ever eat a Twinkie while losing weight.
  • gataman3000
    Options

I think you are misunderstanding the message. It's not "you should only eat Twinkies" It's "you don't have to 100% "healthy foods" to lose weight"

No one is advocating eating a poor diet. Bad information is giving people the notion that they can't ever eat a Twinkie while losing weight.
    Maybe I am because that's what I am getting, It seems people (not you) are advocating eat whatever you want and you will become just as healthy as the person that has been primarily eating clean nutritious foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Maybe I am because that's what I am getting, It seems people (not you) are advocating eat whatever you want and you will become just as healthy as the person that has been primarily eating clean nutritious foods.

Why do you assume "eat whatever you want" means an unhealthy diet? For me, eat whatever I want means a nice mix of foods that meet my nutrient needs plus some extra stuff like cheese or chocolate (or for someone else, perhaps bacon) that happens to be higher cal/less nutrient dense but adds to my overall dietary pleasure.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Most of what I see is that all that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. What you eat, however, impacts your health. So yes you can still have pizza, a twinkie, chocolate, or a burger from time to time and still lose weight. If you want to be healthy though, you should make sure to eat plenty of nutritious foods as well. That and it's easier to stick to a deficit if your day is filled with mostly high nutrient low cal foods with only a small treat than it would be to try and eat mostly high calorie/ low nutrient foods.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Eating whatever I wanted is what helped me do this long term. Applying arbitrary rules and restrictions was always my sure path to failure.
  • gataman3000
    Options

Most of what I see is that all that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. What you eat, however, impacts your health. So yes you can still have pizza, a twinkie, chocolate, or a burger from time to time and still lose weight. If you want to be healthy though, you should make sure to eat plenty of nutritious foods as well. That and it's easier to stick to a deficit if your day is filled with mostly high nutrient low cal foods with only a small treat than it would be to try and eat mostly high calorie/ low nutrient foods.

I 100 percent agree you can eat whatever you want to lose weight, but body composition is where quality foods come in. You can stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight but you will have the same amount of body fat that you started with. People lose weight because they want to look and feel good along with being healthy. Will the number on the scale go down yes will you look and feel good, probably not.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I 100 percent agree you can eat whatever you want to lose weight, but body composition is where quality foods come in. You can stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight but you will have the same amount of body fat that you started with. People lose weight because they want to look and feel good along with being healthy. Will the number on the scale go down yes will you look and feel good, probably not.

So, you're saying that people eating what you're calling an unhealthy diet would only lose lean body mass and no fat?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I can't recall ever seeing anywhere where someone has said "eat only ice cream every day as long as you stay under your calorie goal! It's great and you can still lose weight!!"

I've been on these boards for almost 4 years and I don't remember anyone ever advocating that sort of diet. Ever.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit aria says mine is 40%. I know that is way off because I'm 5'3 and weigh 172. I actually find that funny that it says that when I know my body fat is around 27 to 29%.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

If they are in a calorie deficit, everyone one of the 500 will lose fat. The biggest problem will be reasonably establish the amount in they could have and still be in a deficit.

Are you saying that if two people want to lose 30 pounds, one person eats a 2k calorie diet of twinkles, and the others eats a 2k diet of boneless skinless chicken, brown rice and broccoli they will lose the same amount of weight and body fat at the end?

Yes, I am absolutely saying the ridiculous strawman that two entirely separate human beings, with unknown variables in starting weight, activity levels, resistance training status - that knowing none of that, and comparing them on two different diets will result in the same composition changes.
    I'm also saying all people are only left handed, everyone is the same sex and gender, have the same hair and eye color, same height, and bathrooms get crazy crowded because everyone goes at the same time too. That's exactly what I'm saying. I must only have ludicruous contentions because that's the only possible reason someone would disagree with you.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    OP:
    body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

I use my scale to see the trend in my BF%. One of these days I need to go get a scan and see how it compares.
    Current Avg % according to scale: 21.8%

US Navy measurement method: 23.53%
    Covert Bailey measurement method: 21.55%

I think I'm probably closer to 25-26%, but until I actually go somewhere to get a scan done I won't really know.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Instead of arguing further, I'll just let Lyle McDonald sort you out.

Edit: my link didn't post?
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

^ Yes, that's exactly what I think. Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter.

As others have said, I don't advocate eating an unbalanced diet (for various other reasons), but weight loss is driven entirely by caloric deficit.

To echo the question posed above: Is it your contention that a person who eats what you consider an "unhealthy" diet will lose purely lean body mass and no adipose tissue?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    OP:
    body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

I use my scale to see the trend in my BF%. One of these days I need to go get a scan and see how it compares.
    Current Avg % according to scale: 21.8%

US Navy measurement method: 23.53%
    Covert Bailey measurement method: 21.55%

I think I'm probably closer to 25-26%, but until I actually go somewhere to get a scan done I won't really know.

It's important to remember that these are single examples. Not every woman at these BF% will look like these women.
  • hopefuldreamfairy
    hopefuldreamfairy Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That doesn't sound right. That's close to my range and I know I'm obese :/
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I can't recall ever seeing anywhere where someone has said "eat only ice cream every day as long as you stay under your calorie goal! It's great and you can still lose weight!!"

I've been on these boards for almost 4 years and I don't remember anyone ever advocating that sort of diet. Ever.

Well let me introduce you to IIFYM.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

?
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

?

OK let me google that for you http://blog.imprettyfit.com/nutrition/iifym-explained/