Macro / Calorie counting and Diet soda..

Options
Sawjer
Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
Hey guys.

So I am macro counting, and my trainer says as long as I stick the macro's he has set and keep working hard in the gym my results will come and they have.. Lost nearly 2 stone so far in my "comeback" Macro's mean's I can drink zero drinks (fanta especially) and I loose.. Anyone else do this? People's thoughts? Just to clarify though, I dont drink Zero drinks as part of my lifestyle. Water, Coffee, Protein shakes, Amino's and Herbal tea's only!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has zero calories and therefore doesn't count towards any macros.
    Weight loss is about calories, so there is no reason why diet soda would stop you from losing weight.
  • Kiahz
    Kiahz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Diet soda isn't calorie free....as long as it fits into ur macros u can eat and drink whatever u want. Flexible dieting/counting macros....hitting a target daily
  • maxxeckert
    maxxeckert Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kiahz wrote: »
    Diet soda isn't calorie free....as long as it fits into ur macros u can eat and drink whatever u want. Flexible dieting/counting macros....hitting a target daily

All diet soda I have ever come across is definitely calorie free... Keep in mind other artificial sweeteners have been added to compensate for lost sugars, but you will not gain weight (calories) inherently from drinking diet soda.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Yes it is...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

It's "calorie free" enough that it will make zero difference.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

It's "calorie free" enough that it will make zero difference.

Zero difference will the "calorie free" make. LOL
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking it's not calorie free, but you shouldn't worry about it
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Well get technical? Because all diet sodas I've seen have said "Calories: 0" usually just have sodium. Unless you get, I think, Sunkist 10? Where it has a few grams of sugar and ten calories.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Well get technical? Because all diet sodas I've seen have said "Calories: 0" usually just have sodium. Unless you get, I think, Sunkist 10? Where it has a few grams of sugar and ten calories.

The Diet Dew I usually drink advertises 10 kcal per 22 ounce bottle. Even a few bottles is in the noise.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    The Diet Dew I usually drink advertises 10 kcal per 22 ounce bottle. Even a few bottles is in the noise.

I'll stay away from diet dew then, lol. I'm not a fan of Mountain Dew so no worries there. But sounded like he was referring to all diet sodas since the main topic didn't give a specific soda.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is unhealthy by any standard. Don't drink it.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The only diet soda I drink is Diet Dew and I don't count them and it has had zero effect on my efforts.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have alcohol mixed with it, why bother?
  • Sawjer
    Options
    I think there is minimal calories but you'd have to drink about 13 litres to get a calorie! Interesting topic, thanks for the replies guys.

I just think whatever they replace the sugar with can't be good for your body and although I'm macro counting and can by the calorie law have them, I choose not too.
    LazSommer wrote: »
    If it doesn't have alcohol mixed with it, why bother?

I don't drink my friend.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

All diet drinks have a minimal amount of calories. If it's less than 5 calories per serving, it can say 0 on it. It won't make a difference as long as you don't drink it by gallons.
  • Sawjer
    Options
    So you reckon / you're all saying if I drank 2 litres of diet soda a day but stuck to my macros I could get a six pack still?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Who said anything about 2 liters?

If you drink 2 liters of carbonation a day, you will probably be bloated and uncomfortable.

What we're saying is having some diet soda will not keep you from losing weight. Consuming too much of anything (even healthy foods and drinks) can have negative effects.