Gastric Sleeve Pt

Does anybody have problems on here with this app thinking we're starving ourselves? It said I didn't eat enough today

Replies

• Kolvera82
    Kolvera82 Posts: 3 Member
    I had gastric sleeve surgery about 2 yrs ago
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    That's probably because if you're not hitting your minimum calories, you are effectively starving yourself, just with the aid of a surgical procedure.
  • CindyLou331
    CindyLou331 Posts: 5 Member
    I spoke w/my Nutritionist at my Weight Loss Center as I'm not able to "complete entry" each day. It's because we don't require as many calories as someone that hasn't been through weight loss surgery. I have it set up according to the protein and calorie intake I need to meet each day and don't worry about completing the entry. I just had gastric sleeve surgery on 3/28/16.
  • ScarletRoses88
    ScarletRoses88 Posts: 1 Member
    I just had gastric sleeve surgery on 3/28/16.

How are you finding it now? I'm almost 3 years post op and recently gained some weight (excessive alcohol consumption, currently working on it). I'm finding that if I'm not having the alcohol, I'm not reaching my daily minimum calories :(
  • pdxman
    pdxman Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm 6 years VGS post-op. I am also a card carrying alcoholic (almost 13 years sober, not continuous). Please don't construe this as judging because that is my last intent and I can only speak for myself.

When I was running and gunning, I could find any excuse to have a drink. Argument with girlfriend, boss, neighbor ... A sick parent, friend, sibling ... The last letter of the weekday ended with a "y". :smiley: It didn't matter. I abused alcohol and I abused food. In 2000, I went to rehab and had almost 8 years continuous sobriety. Problem was, one of my emotional coping mechanisms, alcohol, being missing, I turned to my other coping mechanism, food. I ballooned up over 320 pounds. LSS, I got the sleeve gastrectomy. Sure enough, 1 year post surgery, I was drinking again. As always happens, the hurricane of alcoholism ravaged my personal life and I got back into a program. Coming up on 5 years continuous sobriety and I find the scale reading 20 pounds above my preferred weight. That is why I am back to being active in MFP.

I guess what I am saying from my own experience is, I have to be mindful of my mind and body and the motivation behind what I put into my mouth. Alcohol leads me down a dark, desolate road and eating the wrong things or quantities puts my health at risk. Either way, there is an emotional hole I am trying to fill instead of doing the hard work to figure out why I have that hole in the first place. It is a lot of uncomfortable work, but I find myself a better person when I successfully go through these moments in life.

And no, I am not doing it alone. I have a therapist and regularly go to meetings. This is what works for me.

I hope we all find our way

* Forgot to add that gaining the 20 pounds occurred over the past two years. It is not the sleeve's fault, but rather my own poor choices. I was eating at least one candy bar a day, many Twizzlers, Mt Dew, Monster, Cheetos ... the list goes on. But, I am back on my original plan I adopted after I hit my goal weight and my jeans are already looser. The app also tells me I am starving myself, as it did all the while I was initially starting to lose weight post surgery. I just ignore it. Love the suggestions and what-nots from the app, but I also have to measure it with some sanity as my stomach is not like 99% of the people using MFP.

Good luck!
  • schughes48
    schughes48 Posts: 112 Member
    I am also a card carrying alcoholic (almost 13 years sober, not continuous). Please don't construe this as judging because that is my last intent and I can only speak for myself.

When I was running and gunning, I could find any excuse to have a drink. Argument with girlfriend, boss, neighbor ... A sick parent, friend, sibling ... The last letter of the weekday ended with a "y". :smiley: It didn't matter. I abused alcohol and I abused food. In 2000, I went to rehab and had almost 8 years continuous sobriety. Problem was, one of my emotional coping mechanisms, alcohol, being missing, I turned to my other coping mechanism, food. I ballooned up over 320 pounds. LSS, I got the sleeve gastrectomy. Sure enough, 1 year post surgery, I was drinking again. As always happens, the hurricane of alcoholism ravaged my personal life and I got back into a program. Coming up on 5 years continuous sobriety and I find the scale reading 20 pounds above my preferred weight. That is why I am back to being active in MFP.

I guess what I am saying from my own experience is, I have to be mindful of my mind and body and the motivation behind what I put into my mouth. Alcohol leads me down a dark, desolate road and eating the wrong things or quantities puts my health at risk. Either way, there is an emotional hole I am trying to fill instead of doing the hard work to figure out why I have that hole in the first place. It is a lot of uncomfortable work, but I find myself a better person when I successfully go through these moments in life.

And no, I am not doing it alone. I have a therapist and regularly go to meetings. This is what works for me.

I hope we all find our way

* Forgot to add that gaining the 20 pounds occurred over the past two years. It is not the sleeve's fault, but rather my own poor choices. I was eating at least one candy bar a day, many Twizzlers, Mt Dew, Monster, Cheetos ... the list goes on. But, I am back on my original plan I adopted after I hit my goal weight and my jeans are already looser. The app also tells me I am starving myself, as it did all the while I was initially starting to lose weight post surgery. I just ignore it. Love the suggestions and what-nots from the app, but I also have to measure it with some sanity as my stomach is not like 99% of the people using MFP.

• pdxman
    pdxman Posts: 3 Member
    schughes48 wrote: »
    I am also a card

?