Not losing :(

Options
Looking for tips or explanation.. I've been here for almost 2 weeks now which I know isn't a lot but within the first few days I lost 6 lbs (water weight) and this last week I didn't lose anything! I am always under my calorie goal and workout everyday and don't eat back the calories I burn. Why am I not losing and what will help?

Replies

• aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is just an observation...but have you watched the biggest loser? I notice that they always drop a ton of weight the first week, then little to nothing the second week, then it picks up again after that. I would imagine it's just your body adjusting. Don't be discouraged...keep going :)
  • rosgonz20
    rosgonz20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you checking your macros if they are adjusted for you? I kooked my numbers up online macronutrien calculator! I was the same like you where but also think you migh be losing inches instead of pounds
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Be patient.

What happens for many people is a big loss at first, then 1-2 weeks at least where the scale doesn't move a bit, then a change (possibly a gain) and from there they see change.

Stick with what you're doing for 4-6 weeks. Evaluate your weight 4 weeks from now compared to at the beginning and see how you're doing :)

~Lyssa
  • gl6h2
    gl6h2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wasn't losing weight either, I tried intermittent fasting and started losing again. It might work for you too give it a shot.
  • GiGiJam80
    GiGiJam80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agree w what everyone is saying. Also be mindful of the types of food you're eating (even if your meeting the calories).
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You have lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks, that is pretty good
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would keep doing what you're doing for another 4-5 weeks and if you still don't see a weight loss, then maybe try the intermittent fasting (although I don't think it's necessary at all to fast to lose weight).

Be sure you're measuring your food with a food scale. Accuracy is the key. CICO is all that matters for now.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Average your total loss instead of thinking a week at a time. 6 pounds in 2 weeks is really good, so keep doing what you're doing.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't start looking for problems or to change anything until your plateau stretches on for about two weeks. After that, start looking at what might be going wrong. Losing the water weight is a good sign, it means your body's glycogen stores were being depleted, which is normal at the start of calorie restriction.

If the plateau stretches out, consider whether you are really measuring everything that you put in your mouth. Solids should be weighed (as much as possible, anyway), liquids can be measured by volume with cups and spoons.

How did you choose your calorie goal?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Looking for tips or explanation.. I've been here for almost 2 weeks now which I know isn't a lot but within the first few days I lost 6 lbs (water weight) and this last week I didn't lose anything! I am always under my calorie goal and workout everyday and don't eat back the calories I burn. Why am I not losing and what will help?

It's only been two weeks, and during that time you have lost 6lbs. That's 3lb/week which is awesome. It should be slowing down. How many calories are you actually eating? Are you weighing your food, or are you using cups and spoons, or eyeballing? Are you choosing the right entry in the database? The database is mostly user entered, and therefore prone to inaccuracies due to either human error, or regional differences (there are differences between countries). Not logging accurately is probably the number one reason people have difficulties.

That being said, if you are logging accurately, and you are eating under your goal, plus working out and not eating that back, you are very likely to burn out quickly and give up. This is a long process. To stay in it for the long haul, you need to be realistic with your goals and expectations. Not to mention all of the health risks that one can be prone to when intentionally malnourishing yourself. Eat to fuel your life.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Give it time. If you're eating at a deficit you WILL eventually lose. I've been at this for two full years. The most important thing is to weigh your food correctly...you'd be surprised by how off you can be without doing that.

Don't get discouraged...I've only lost 5 pounds in the last three months, but I know that if I stick with this I will eventually reach my goal.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    gl6h2 wrote: »
    I wasn't losing weight either, I tried intermittent fasting and started losing again. It might work for you too give it a shot.

This works, but at a cost (at least for me): the days I fast I have a lot less energy.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    gl6h2 wrote: »

This works, but at a cost (at least for me): the days I fast I have a lot less energy.

IF doesn't always follow a 5:2 weekly protocol, actually. Daily IF has a fast/feed window. Much more manageable. I don't recommend this for the OP, though.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything for the first week including water loss. It happens. I just focused on following my plan and trusted that it would happen. It eventually did, but it wasn't a straight line. My weight loss graph looked like a saw at a slightly downward angle.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    1. You are losing. Weight loss isn't linear.
    2. What will help is patience and consistency.

You're not in a plateau or even a stall. It's one week. Are you weighing once a week? If so, you may have simply weighed on a high day. Or not. Again, weight loss isn't linear and weight fluctuates for all sorts of reasons.

Also, you really, really shouldn't be under your calorie goal and not eating exercise calories. If you're not weighing your food, you're probably eating more than you think you are, but regardless of that your approach of not meeting your initial goal and not eating back some of your exercise calories and being worried when you think you haven't lost for a week is a recipe for burnout.

Please approach this in a sustainable and healthy manner.
  • nikkii231
    nikkii231 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are checking your nutrition to make sure you are under those goals too but otherwise stick with it, totally normal to lose alot then your body adjusts, then you will start losing again, as long as you are being totally honest and putting every mouthful in you will lose, its all a numbers game.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nikkii231 wrote: »
    Make sure you are checking your nutrition to make sure you are under those goals too but otherwise stick with it, totally normal to lose alot then your body adjusts, then you will start losing again, as long as you are being totally honest and putting every mouthful in you will lose, its all a numbers game.

It's not necessary to be under all of those goals. I consider my fat and protein targets to be a minimum. In fact, when eating at a deficit and working out, one could argue that it's more important to make sure you are hitting minimum protein and fats to maintain optimal nutrition.
  • ashleyanne207
    ashleyanne207 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I know it's only the second week but honestly I've never lasted this long with a healthy lifestyle, so it's a little frustrating.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    oh my! i just wrote a post with the same problem~ glad I am not alone (although sorry you are not loosing weight) me too its 2 week and I am not loosing, i am feeling so desperate at this point but i will keep going on. Im going to read all the people replies in here maybe i find help too!