Topomax

Options

Replies

• Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was on this drug for migraines for a few months. I stopped because I was still having several headache days per month, and asked to try a different treatment. The pins and needles feeling in my feet became so severe at times I found myself stomping on the floor to try and 'wake my foot up.' It was in vain. Luckily, I never suffered the cognitive side effects of this drug. I also never experienced any change in appetite or rate of weight loss.

I also asked to be taken off of this drug shortly after my dose was increased, because my husband and I were discussing having children. Topamax is linked to some horrific birth defects, and I didn't want to risk any of that being in my system if the possibility of a pregnancy became a real thing.

I agree with the other posters. I don't think asking to take this for weight loss is a good idea.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Topamax was prescribed to me for irritability believe it or not. It helped a little bit, but I experienced confusion and blurry vision and had to stop taking it. The negatives far outweighed the benefits for me and a lot of other people on this thread too.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Years ago I took it for migraines for a month maybe 2. It wiped out the migraines but I had life threatening reactions to it. I list it as an allergy for all medical anything and everything to make sure it's never given to me.

I did lose weight (that I didn't need to lose at the time) but almost paid dearly.

A nickname for it is dope-a-Max because it can make you quite stupid as other posts have already mentioned.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that the drug can decrease appetite at the expense of brain function. It is an antipsychotic that is not to be messed with. took it for a few years for migraines and essential tremors. Decided the side effects were worse than the pain of migraines and tremors

It is not an antipsychotic, it's an anticonvulsant that was originally created for epilepsy, then remarketed for migraines. I know this because I worked for the company, and did public speaking for them (unpaid) because it helped me so much. I met the scientists and marketing team and it was so cool for them to meet someone that they had helped.

• emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had migraines. I was on Topamax for 2 months. Not only did everything taste like oil, I still have tingling in my fingers when my hands get cold, it's been 11 years since I last took it. Oh, and it also left me with cirrhosis of the liver. I was never a big drinker but there I was at 22/23 getting a cirrhosis diagnosis from a drug that was supposed to help me. It didn't, at all. Oh what fun a damaged liver is for the little things like digesting.
  • Scrappincarla
    Scrappincarla Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Years ago I took it for migraines for a month maybe 2. It wiped out the migraines but I had life threatening reactions to it. I list it as an allergy for all medical anything and everything to make sure it's never given to me.

I did lose weight (that I didn't need to lose at the time) but almost paid dearly.

A nickname for it is dope-a-Max because it can make you quite stupid as other posts have already mentioned.

"Dope-A-Max"! Thats the PERFECT NAME!
  • Scrappincarla
    Options
    Seems like a LOT of us are migraine sufferers! I'm sorry to hear that. Someone wanna start a thread? There seems to be threads on every other topic.
  • Shells918
    Options
    @Scrappincarla we should. Only people who have had migraines really understand them and how debilitating they are.
  • mindy013
    mindy013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've taken it awhile now. The side effects wore off after the first three weeks. Yes it was a difficult 3 weeks but no side effects since! Just have to weather the storm I guess. Everyone is diff.
  • mindy013
    mindy013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take mine with diet and exercise
  • CtCollector
    CtCollector Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've been on this for about 2 years. It curbed my appetite in the beginning, but not so much now. I take it for complex migraines and seizures. I couldn't tell you if my numbness is from the Topamax or my health complications. I can tell you I'm slower than I used to be, but I can't attribute that to the medicine entirely either. It's helped with both the headaches and seizures, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to just lose weight. There are much better options as far as medications go I'd assume. Definitely talk it over thoroughly with your doctor.
  • Scrappincarla
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    @Scrappincarla we should. Only people who have had migraines really understand them and how debilitating they are.

Yes!!! Well I'll do it if you'll do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    DON'T DO IT! Been there, done that, worst drug ever.

Just eat healthy and exercise...unless you want to feel like a dying space cadet every waking moment.

But she's bipolar, and it's a valid treatment option.

I had a friend take this for her bipolar disorder. She didn't lose weight on it, but she did develop a potassium issue and had to be hospital. Not sure if they're related. She also never could drink any carbonated beverage again and stopped smoking. So technically those helped her be healthier overall.

It's one of many treatment options for bipolar, not the only one.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    DON'T DO IT! Been there, done that, worst drug ever.

Just eat healthy and exercise...unless you want to feel like a dying space cadet every waking moment.

But she's bipolar, and it's a valid treatment option.

I had a friend take this for her bipolar disorder. She didn't lose weight on it, but she did develop a potassium issue and had to be hospital. Not sure if they're related. She also never could drink any carbonated beverage again and stopped smoking. So technically those helped her be healthier overall.

It's one of many treatment options for bipolar, not the only one.

The OP asked about it's effects for weight loss, nothing more. I recommended not taking it for specifically that. It's a waste of your time and your health.

I wouldn't even suggest this drug if you had any other conditions that it was prescribed for unless it was seriously absolutely your last possible option on the planet.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it to me for weight loss. I'm also bipolar and had gained a great deal of weight from antipsychotics. It made me lose my appetite for about a week. After that I continued to gain weight. I had the cognitive impairment for about a month, but it went away. My insomnia was worsened as well, which I understand is not a typical side effect. We increased the dose and it still didn't help me lose weight, so discontinued. The old fashioned logging calories in and calories out is the only thing that has ever helped me lose weight.
  • Shells918
    Options
    I would agree with not taking it for weight loss alone. I wouldn't have tolerated those side effects for any other type of treatment other than my migraines because I was pretty desperate.
  • deadchipmunk
    deadchipmunk Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, the Tope dosage, once you reach full titration is almost the same as a migraine dosage.

Topamax is one of the crazy meds.

Yes, is an anti-convulsant, but they don't really know how it works to help migraine patients, it just does and the side effect of significant weight loss in some of those patients led to a decision to market a weightloss drug. It ended up being too strong by itself. The majority of participants in the trials dropped out because the side effects were terrible.

So the manufacturers tried again by combining it with something to soften the blow. Phentermine. But if the Tope dosage is still at 100 ml, you still get all the nasty side effects.

And here's the kicker - you might be one of the ones who doesn't lose weight... And if you do lose, yay for you. But sooner or later you will want to stop taking the Tope and you will gain every single pound back. And then some. And you will be ravenous doing it.

Remember Topamax is a neuro drug (it helps block epileptic seizures) and it's doing something to your brain whether you lose weight or not, it's doing something to you. You really don't want that. Just saying.

TL;DR. Unless you have epilepsy or horrible migraines, etc., don't do it.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    coops170 wrote: »
    Yes to all these posts! I was on it for migraines as well. Yes I lost weight effortlessly but it made me stupid and gave me neuropathy in my fingers and toes. I was constantly struggling to find my words, they say it's like the word is always on the tip of your tongue but you can never get it out. It made me slow minded and God knows I don't need more of that. It came with a few other side effects like dry mouth and unbalance, not to mention it cost a fortune for me, even with my insurance. I finally made myself quit... Dr's shouldn't just be handing this med out like candy!

I also took this for extreme migraines. I had these exact same symptoms, it was horrible. I did lose about 20 pounds, but only because it made all food taste horrible. I remember only eating wheat thins. I couldn't concentrate, I felt high all the time, and could never find the words to say in a conversation. I remember pulling into the gas station and having no clue how to get my car to the pump. It was that day I stopped taking it. And I was on the smallest dose while cutting the pills in half.
    This drug should be taken off the market in my opinion.
    The side effects are not worth the weight loss!!
  • stephw262
    stephw262 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you google this drug you will find tons of horror stories like the ones above, but it you talk to Drs and pharmacists they will tell you that it is actually a relatively common medication for migraines that many people take with no major problems. I was prescribed it for severe migraines because I was taking potentially unsafe amounts of other painkillers and still not able to function, but after googling it was afraid to try it. When I researched actual medical studies I discovered that in trials approximately 25% of people stopped taking it because the side effects were not worth the benefit. I have been lucky enough to find a low enough dose that the side effects of tingling in fingers and toes and loss of appetite and a little joint pain are worth the decrease in migraines. I would not take it for weight loss though.