late night eating

Options
Hi, this is Joyce, I have a problem of late night eating. It seems that I do not get hungry until about 10am. then i eat fruit , lunch at 11:30 when i working. At 3 i'm straving and we eat dinner around 5-5:30. I'm full but if i eat anything i continue to eat until i go to bed which is around 10. any suggestion to help break this habit. Do i need to eat more carbs in the early part of the day or what?
Any help appreciated.

Replies

• shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't have the answer but i'd like to keep an eye on this thread!
    I have a terrible habit of waking in the night, around 3am, starving....NOT a good time to snack lol
    I don't know if my body wakes up because it's just used to it, or if I really am waking up because of hunger. I feel fine when I go to bed. I think some of your responses may be helpful to me :)
  • LeslieReagan
    Options
    i do the SAME THING! it's always around 2 or 3 and i am completely famished!
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I had that problem too before, not the 3 am thing but the eating until i go to bed. I started eating more during the day and then at night i work out. after wokring out you really dont want to eat a bunch of crap and undo all your hard work. Also, instead of sitting watching TV last night i did some squats while i watched. then you dont get bored and wander over to the kitchen!
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Guilty! After 9 is my quiet time and I often like to watch a tv show with Dh before bed. LET THE SNACKING COMMENCE! I've found to avoid that I have to keep my hands busy and/or chew gum. Those seem to help a lot. Especially if I spend time doing my nails or get tangled up in a ball of yarn.
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    Options
    I had the same problem with snacking in the evenings and I found that it was not from hunger so much it was from bordem.
    I have to make sure I have a book near by in the evenings to read or work on my cross stitch to keep from snacking.

I also use to have the problem of being very hungry around 3:00 pm. I found that if I eat a little more for breakfast and a little more for lunch than about 2:30-3:00pm I am fine some string cheese or some fruit.

Drinking a glass of water first before you actually go and get something to eat can help, because your body may be thirsty actually instead of hungry.

The bottom line is trying to find the right foods and the right amount of calories that your body requires.

Good luck.
  • dinma
    dinma Posts: 2
    Options
    hi, i just joined and need to loose weight badly.i have a 7month old baby and i am open to advice from anyone
    thanks
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat the same way but I make sure I have the numbers left in my goals to cover it. I have not had any trouble losing weight.
    I do eat healthy.
  • zlosnica15pl
    zlosnica15pl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well what are you snacking on? Are you snacking on healthy things such as nuts, or veggies or are you s nacking on crackers?
    I find sunflower seeds a good snack, or hummus with a little bit of celery.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    hi, i just joined and need to loose weight badly.i have a 7month old baby and i am open to advice from anyone
    thanks
    Go to the home page and click on introduce yourself. Then on the right it will have a green button that say's new topic. Click on that and you can start your own topic and get more replys. In the top box put Help losing baby weight> and then post your question in the bottom box. Click post reply> and your done. Good luck.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    definitely guilty of this. eating late before going to bed.
    DH does it too, and he's been gaining weight but still in good shape.
    I find drinking water helps and doing exercise while watching tv sounds like a good idea too.
  • kashia09
    kashia09 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi, I used to be really bad about late night eating. The way I've broken myself of that vicious cycle was to start packing my lunch box the night before and making sure that I had everything packed and ready for the next day...here's my eating routine: a good breakfast (I generally opt for 2 eggs scrambled and a slice of whole wheat toast) at about 8:30-9, a morning snack (something light, like fruit, veggies, or a light yogurt) around 11ish, the snack lets me take a later lunch around 2-2:30ish, and then I have an afternoon snack (again, something light) around 3:30-4ish, and that normally holds me over until dinner, which for me is normally around 6. I also try to go to sleep at a decent time now so I'm not just up and bored and looking for something to do bc I found that generally ends in something to eat. If I am having a later night I will normally do a snack of either another light yogurt or a big glass of skim milk. So far this has really helped me and eating every few hours has also helped me with my portion control. I also make sure that when I do eat, it is the only thing that I do so I can pay attention to what I'm putting in my body and my body's signals telling me when it's sated bc I found that when I was doing other things while eating I was over eating bc I wasn't paying attention to my body telling me I was full and there i'd go plowing through the calories and carbs with reckless abandon until oops, I've eaten everything infront of me and then some and felt miserable. Well, I hope this helps...good luck! :)
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm a night eater myself.. so I just plan most of my calories for later. I have a breakfast and lunch and try to keep them at 300 calories or less each.. then I have a lot left for my evenings.

This way of eating just has you stay within your net calories daily (day or night). Make it fit YOUR schedule.

If your just eating for cravings sake though (not hunger) try a protein snack (deli meat, chicken, hard boiled egg) which at least helps ME curb cravings.
  • SimplyMrsBlue
    Options
    GO girl!