I finally lost some weight but

Options
I was going to get bariatric surgery but now since my body is starting to finally lose this weight from the diet the nutritionist gave me, I'm not sure if I should go through with it. I lost 14 pounds so far since October. I had a awful time losing weight before and tried lots of other things and that's why I signed up for the surgery. I wish I knew that a certain diet would do the trick.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep going. You can do this!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's not about a certain diet. It's about creating a calorie deficit, day in/day out or weekly, and doing it for weeks and weeks at a time. What does your Dr. think?
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. One issue I've noticed with surgery is that eventually you can stretch your stomach back out and go back to overeating and gaining the weight back. If you can learn how to permanently eat smaller portions you'd have a better shot at keeping the weight off.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The surgery is another tool. You still have to learn to manage your diet and lifestyle for it to be successful in the long run. I personally would be hesitant to permanently change my body through the surgery. Some people are really successful with it. If you are having success now, why not postpone the surgery for a while and keep working your diet plan? The surgery is certainly not an easy way out. There is a lot to consider with it. Whatever you decide, best of luck!
  • FamedSuperPanda
    FamedSuperPanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was up to about 500 lbs and felt the same way until I went cold turkey on no flour - no added sugar. I'm down about 140 so far, eat lots of good food, and super glad I didn't have the surgery. I love listening to this podcast for some educational bites and inspiration, lots of good guests talking about nutrition and weight loss. http://fatburningman.com/
  • kyuui13
    kyuui13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

nutmegoreo wrote: »
    The surgery is another tool. You still have to learn to manage your diet and lifestyle for it to be successful in the long run. I personally would be hesitant to permanently change my body through the surgery. Some people are really successful with it. If you are having success now, why not postpone the surgery for a while and keep working your diet plan? The surgery is certainly not an easy way out. There is a lot to consider with it. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

Yea that's what I'm hesitant about too is changing my body.. Since I'm finally now losing weight I'm not sure. Thank you for your input.
  • kyuui13
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor. One issue I've noticed with surgery is that eventually you can stretch your stomach back out and go back to overeating and gaining the weight back. If you can learn how to permanently eat smaller portions you'd have a better shot at keeping the weight off.

I've been doing smaller portions and protein drinks just in the morning. It's been helping a lot.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Why not postpone a decision for six months and see how you feel then?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kyuui13 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yea that's what I'm hesitant about too is changing my body.. Since I'm finally now losing weight I'm not sure. Thank you for your input.

I understand. It's a scary thing. Like I said, if you are losing, postpone it for a few more months. You don't need to make the decision right now. :flowerforyou:
  • kyuui13
    Options
    I was up to about 500 lbs and felt the same way until I went cold turkey on no flour - no added sugar. I'm down about 140 so far, eat lots of good food, and super glad I didn't have the surgery. I love listening to this podcast for some educational bites and inspiration, lots of good guests talking about nutrition and weight loss. http://fatburningman.com/

Wow that's amazing. Good job on the weight loss.

jgnatca wrote: »

I wasn't sure I could do that but I could ask the clinic , thank you.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I'm certain they can't make you have a surgery. If you are progressing on your weight loss putting it off would be a good thing. Good job!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Postponing for a bit is SUCH good advice! Make sure you'll stay with the same insurance, and talk to your clinic, and see what they say.

I lost 125 lbs purely by diet and exercise. I learned so so so much about my body, my abilities, food, and cooking along the way.

Congratulations on the 14 lbs lost. Friend me if you would like!
  • kyuui13
    Options

Postponing for a bit is SUCH good advice! Make sure you'll stay with the same insurance, and talk to your clinic, and see what they say.

I lost 125 lbs purely by diet and exercise. I learned so so so much about my body, my abilities, food, and cooking along the way.

Congratulations on the 14 lbs lost. Friend me if you would like!

I've had the same insurance for a good while. And thank you