Options
To stick to your calories?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nope.

I just give myself a treat every day as usual, keeping within my calorie limit.

It's going to make it easier for me in one way:

I'll receive gifts of chocolate, so no need to shop for it! More time for exercise!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Unless you cook, measure and weigh every single thing you are eating there is no way to know for sure if you are sticking within your calories. You can ballpark it but if you are eating a dish someone else prepared your calorie count is not going to be accurate. Who cares anyway, it's one day. Eat reasonably, don't go crazy, enjoy it and get back to weighing and measuring on Monday.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Nope im going to stay healthy
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There'll be a lot of opportunities to over eat, so possibly! I have a food scale, and am the one cooking, so I'll be weighing everything out. My plan is to stick to portions, but have whatever foods I want.
  • NA1979
    NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Unless you cook, measure and weigh every single thing you are eating there is no way to know for sure if you are sticking within your calories. You can ballpark it but if you are eating a dish someone else prepared your calorie count is not going to be accurate. Who cares anyway, it's one day. Eat reasonably, don't go crazy, enjoy it and get back to weighing and measuring on Monday.

I'm inclined to agree with this!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No. It's just another day for me, food-wise. My church has a breakfast that I've been assigned to take coffee cake for. I'm dropping it off and going home to eat and then will go back for church service later. Nobody in my family likes the breakfast foods there so I'm not wasting my calories on them.
  • mandlegrot
    mandlegrot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is the same as any other day for me. I don't know what other people do at Easter but I have a very small family in the UK and we are not religious so Easter is not a thing to us. I never get Easter eggs given to me so there's no extra choc in the house.

Either way though, you have two options - stay on track and make room for extras in your daily cals, or go off track for a day or two...I'm better at staying on track but eating up to maintenance when I really want something / am going out for a meal.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Nope. I get a little envious during holidays because I notice that a lot of other families go big on the celebrations. My family doesn't really celebrate much, so I feel like I kind of miss out on all the foods that are considered holiday staples. They have holiday desserts at the store, but I know they're not even close to authentic. Something about Entenmann's Hot Cross Buns for Easter doesn't seem all that appealing to me.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Not really hard no. I decided that for two days I could eat at mainenance and have some extra excersise the days before and after easter. Not a problem then at all
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    "Children aged 10-14 will indulge in an average of more than two-and-a-half kilograms of chocolate over the Easter holiday - taking in nearly 13,000 calories and 650 grams of fat, a survey revealed today."

:|

2.5 kilos of chocolate...... Is it really necessary??

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/children-to-gorge-on-13-easter-eggs-each-1933587.html
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    "Children aged 10-14 will indulge in an average of more than two-and-a-half kilograms of chocolate over the Easter holiday - taking in nearly 13,000 calories and 650 grams of fat, a survey revealed today."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/children-to-gorge-on-13-easter-eggs-each-1933587.html

Eh, not my daughter. She's like Charlie Bucket the way she nibbles on a piece of chocolate, stores it away for a few days, nibbles it again, lather/rinse/repeat until 3 weeks later she finally finishes it off. It's great because she's really good at self-regulating, but it still fascinates me.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Holy crap, that's a lot of extra calories.

As for me, I'm going to pass on sweets entirely this year. I just finished overdoing it at a family birthday. And between losing weight slowly the way I do, and my binging tendencies, it can take me 4 weeks to take off weight I put on in two days.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Not really. We will do an egg hunt for the kids, but I am lot a big chocolate eater anyway, so avoiding all but a social taste (to be logged) will not be too tough.

Other than that it is just a long weekend. No big meals or similar to worry about.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Eh, not my daughter. She's like Charlie Bucket the way she nibbles on a piece of chocolate, stores it away for a few days, nibbles it again, lather/rinse/repeat until 3 weeks later she finally finishes it off. It's great because she's really good at self-regulating, but it still fascinates me.

Same with my daughter. She is home from college for the weekend and will take all of her candy back with her, where I'm sure it'll be devoured by her friends.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha yeah it is. It's not going to be the chocolate (I have some of that whenever I want), it's going to be dessert. It's ALWAYS dessert during Holidays. I mean, the main dish is always relatively healthy and I have no problem with moderation with that stuff, but 2 pieces of dessert and I'm probably already looking at 800 calories right there (I'm making a pear frangipane tart that I've been craving for MONTHS and they're probably going to make something too). Then they always have tasty cheese and crackers too before the main meal too (I've had plenty of that lately so unless I'm really hungry, I'll try to pass on it)... and I'm making an Easter braid that's probably another 400 calories a serving... and I want to have a small piece (you know, for science, to make sure it's good enough to make next year again).

I'll try to minimize the damage though... It would be MUCH easier if we did it at home, but I really have no idea what the menu is going to be.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It might be challenging to stay within a persons daily calorie deficit if they haven't planned ahead.

With any holiday or special event, I try to bank cals during the days leading up to the event. I should have about 500 extra calories going into Easter Sunday. I also try to fit in a workout that day to make sure I have a few extra, and I'm in maintenance now but when I was losing I always just looked at holidays at a day to eat at maintenance. Even if I went over, it was likely still maintenance for the week.

Edited to add: I also prioritize the foods I really want to eat at family events rather than filling up my plate with every item available. At Easter that will be prosciutto wrapped shrimp, ham, spinach salad, and corn.

Things I will pass on: deviled eggs, the sandwich fixings for the ham, green bean casserole and pasta con broccoli.

We celebrate kid birthdays from late winter and spring at Easter so the desserts are usually whatever they pick but store bought things like cookie cake, ice cream cake, etc. that stuff isn't worth the calories to me so I will probably have wine and Easter candy.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    OH hell yeah! All those Easter bunnies that need slaughtering. All those chocolate eggs needing destruction...

But I decided to do what I do one week every month anyway (gotta love being a woman sometimes :neutral: ) and just eat at maintenance. I like Easter candies just too much to resist. So might as well enjoy it and get back to the deficit on Tuesday.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    It would be nearly impossible for me to try and figure out how many calories I will be consuming tomorrow. I have had many holidays, vacations and events since I started losing weight where I didn't care about calories and I still have been very successful, so I don't really care. Holidays around here are really for my kids, so that's what I focus on.