How often do you allow yourself "healthy" desserts?

Options
My biggest weakness in this whole diet/lifestyle change is I have an awful sweet tooth! What are everyone's thoughts on healthier desserts? Things around 100 calories such as healthy choice bars, homemade frozen yogurt, etc? Also, I'm not going over my daily allotment of calories. Thanks guys!

Replies

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The answers here are going to be predictable, and tell you to just eat anything you want w/in your calorie goals. Which is true to an extent, as long as you find it physically/psychologically satisfying. I need lots of protein and fiber and fat to stay full, which dictates my diet more than "healthy" does. But it ends up being pretty "healthy." What's your idea of an "unhealthy dessert?" Do you mean quantity? Or richness?

That being said...

I eat dark chocolate every day because I love it.

I eat fro yo probably once a month, because that's about as often as I want it.

I had maple custard w/ cookies yesterday.

I eat brownie bites about once a week.

And I stay w/in my calorie count, when I want to.

Healthy choice fudge bars are fine...but so are most fudge bars, just check the calorie label.

The struggle is knowing how much is in what foods. It's hard if you buy yourself a slice of cake then you're like DANG this thing has 600 calories in it...what are you going to do, throw half away? Nah. I'm lucky to have a partner who can eat anything and stay skinny, so he orders stuff and I get one beautiful perfect bite.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm answering your first question. I have dessert when they fit into my daily calories.
  • raiden4055
    raiden4055 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a beginner here, so it's been a struggle for me as well. The way I see it, this entire process should be a happy one right? So I can stay motivated and keep at it!

As for how often I treat myself. About 2/3 days a week. I do log everything though and stay under the daily limits. I'll eat lighter etc during the day if I'm getting something nice later on etc..

As for specifics, I mostly struggle with the overall sugar and sodium intake (Depending on what I get. Desserts or otherwise). Just a lot of sodium in processed foods so trying to shift away from that. Sugar from fruits I just tend to not factor into the overall number.

Still tweaking it as I go though xD. As I said, having these days when I treat myself definitely helps me push on.

• mandietippets
    mandietippets Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The answers here are going to be predictable, and tell you to just eat anything you want w/in your calorie goals. Which is true to an extent, as long as you find it physically/psychologically satisfying. I need lots of protein and fiber and fat to stay full, which dictates my diet more than "healthy" does. But it ends up being pretty "healthy." What's your idea of an "unhealthy dessert?" Do you mean quantity? Or richness?

That being said...

Healthy choice fudge bars are fine...but so are most fudge bars, just check the calorie label.

The struggle is knowing how much is in what foods. It's hard if you buy yourself a slice of cake then you're like DANG this thing has 600 calories in it...what are you going to do, throw half away? Nah. I'm lucky to have a partner who can eat anything and stay skinny, so he orders stuff and I get one beautiful perfect bite.

By healthy I mean I'm not eating ice cream, cake, and brownies every night. (Though I wish I could!) I have been steadily losing and just don't want to do anything to stop that. I have a partner that's the exact same. I would kill to be able to have that slice of cake and not have it effect me at all. We all have our vices to deal with I guess. :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Most 'healthier' desserts aren't worth my calorie count. I'd rather save up my calories and have a splurge on a dessert I'm really craving. I do generally have a bit of dark chocolate here and there during the week, but once a month or so I'll make a small cake or batch of cookies or something. (I bake my own stuff so I don't have to rely on random grocery calorie counts. Home-made is tastier anyway. :) )
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I always have something sweeter after a meal personally but I factor that in with my meal and I end up with two larger meals for the day in my calorie budget :) so uh, yeah after every meal I usually have some chocolate, Greek yogurt parfait, banana cookies, halo top etc
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

That being said...

By healthy I mean I'm not eating ice cream, cake, and brownies every night. (Though I wish I could!) I have been steadily losing and just don't want to do anything to stop that. I have a partner that's the exact same. I would kill to be able to have that slice of cake and not have it effect me at all. We all have our vices to deal with I guess. :)

I have ice cream almost every night. I make sure to save enough calories, weigh it out, and enjoy it.

Edy's (or Dreyer's, depending on your location) makes a line of lower calorie/sugar ice creams called Slow Churned. They range around 100-130 calories for half a cup (roughly 60 grams).
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    For me fruit is a dessert...I usually try and have at least one per day....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm answering your first question. I have dessert when they fit into my daily calories.

This.

We go out for ice cream once a week and I budget my calories for that. Other than that, if I get to the end of the day and have calories left for a treat, I'll have one but if I don't, I don't.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Everyday.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Every day, often twice. Healthy is subjective. If it fits I eats. :)

Sometimes if it don't fits I still eats.

• frankiem1207
    frankiem1207 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Set your calorie intake and stick to it. To reply to your question, in order to have dessert that you really want its simple earn it. You can walk in place and burn calories . Whatever the calories in the dessert are= calories you need to burn during exercise. I'm maintain a 500 calories a day diet and before all the (its not healthy) people start in.I had salmon with steamed carrots, steamed lite broccoli and cheese for dinner.
  • mandietippets
    mandietippets Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone glad to know I'm not alone!! I definitely have a splurge with a real dessert every week or so or at special occasions (birthday parties, etc.) but for the most part try to satisfy it with my healthier stuff. Yum!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have figured out a few things about myself. One, I don't do well with deprivation, two, continuing doing something keeps the habit alive. How to juggle those two and stay healthy and normal weight? I had to think outside the box a bit. "Healthy food" is so elusive. A good diet is easier to define - it's sustainable and suited to my personal needs and preferences.

I have dessert with low cal dinners (vegetable soups). It can't be done for 100 calories, but I'll have 1 or 2 Weetabix with whole milk, or tapioca or rice pudding (made with whole milk and topped with sugar and butter), or a fruit yogurt (readymade). Sometimes I'll make a banana/milk(/berries/lime) smoothie or hot cocoa as part of my lunch or evening meal. Sometimes yogurt with nuts/nut butter and honey/maple syrup. Or some delicious cheese. Almost always nuts or nut butter in the evening, either in the smoothie (with cocoa), or with fruit (grapes, mandarins, pear), or as nut butter (green apple/orange+peanut butter, pear+almond/cashew butter). Fruit for all meals except dinner. Every other Saturday (today, yay!) pancakes with sweet fillings (today probably honey, jam, hazelnut butter/date syrup).

The rest of my diet consists of more grains, lots of them whole (crispbread, bread, pasta, porridges, brown and white rice, even the pancakes are half whole wheat), potatoes and sweet potatoes, corn, vegetables at every meal, fatty cuts of meat, oily fish, more butter and plenty of oil, seeds, more dairy and eggs, seafood. Nothing is off limits, but some things are eaten more often and other things less often, and I still do portion control, 18 months into maintenance. (No big difference from my loss phase, but I think I should mention it.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat desert pretty much every night.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For weight loss if you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. You can do that eating any combination of foods including cake every day. If you find it easier and satisfying to fit a low calorie version of desserts in your goal that is fine.
    For health you should probably eat most of your calories from things like protein foods, vegetables, fruits, whole grains and then have a slice of cake.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    We have Edy's slow churned almost every night. I just weigh out a serving and fit it in my daily goal. I also top it with whip cream and a few chocolate chips. yum!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Since I have eliminated sugar and wheat from my diet, traditional desserts are off the table for me. But I like to have a bit of plain Greek yogurt mixed with fruit purée (I toss berries and a bit of stevia in a blender, freeze in small serving bags and mix with tubs of yogurts), sometimes I add a bit of nuts or Lily choc chips too. I currently use 2% as the fat helps make it a meal and keeps hunger down. I have this most days.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Never, eat real desserts less frequently and enjoy them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Most days. But it means not having bread or other not very filling/higher calorie things that day.