Affraid to eat more

Options
I have been working out and eating 2 low-carb and 2 high carb meals a day totaling 14 to 1500 cal and I'm losing weight 2 to 3 pounds a week but I'm hungry and I'm dizzy and I'm afraid to eat more because I don't want to stop losing the weight any thoughts or things I should add or do different?

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Um yes, please eat more.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Your loss is much too fast. Your body needs energy to function and this is why you are feeling dizzy and hungry. You have to fuel your muscles, your brain and your other systems. Eat more. Yes your loss will be slower, that is healthier for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can almost certainly eat more and still lose weight
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Losing 2 to 3 pounds per week is great, provided it's not affecting your health, which, considering the dizziness, it obviously is.

Upping your food intake to lose 1lb per week still means you'll lose 52lbs in a year. This is not only reasonable but also sustainable. Trying to lose too much too fast will only lead you to burning yourself out and binge eating, or worse, more serious health consequences.

There is a reason the minimum recommended calories for a man is 1500cals per day. Your body needs energy to function and it's currently screaming at you that it's not getting enough.

Please please please do yourself a favor and eat more. Losing weight at the cost of your health is NOT a good plan.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you're losing 2 to 3 lbs per week you can easily eat 500 cal more per day and still lose 1 lb or so per week (a much more sustainable rate). Ir you're working out and only eating 1500 cal or so you're way too low.......exercise needs fuel (I eat a 1500 cal brunch on my long run days.....only slight exaggeration.)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yes, add more calories. Unless you are morbidly obese losing at that rate is not good. Also you are probably losing more muscle than needed. Adjust your goal to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week. Your goal should be to lose fat, while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. When you adjust your calories up, expect an upward weight fluctuation. Don't panic, this is payback for under-eating, give a few weeks and you'll start to trend downward again.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The fast weight loss is very important to you, obviously, but being dizzy is not good! You might try keeping the best of both worlds by adding some calories but not a whole lot, and tinkering with your loss rate so it's slower but still satisfying. Try to avoid that "all-or-nothing" thought process we all tend to fall into. Increase your calories gradually until you feel better, and you'll still be reassuringly in control. You'll also have proved to yourself that you're the one who decides how much you should eat, and it's not a stark choice between "unreasonably strict" and "completely random."
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated you need to eat more. The fact that you have stated you are afraid to eat more because of weight gain is a bit alarming. Men can suffer from eating disorders as well as women. Often times we overlook men because we think they don't have the same body issues as women do. If this is something that is starting to become obsessive I urge you to seek some sort of therapy for this issue. Letting thoughts or feelings like that go unchecked can set you up for some dangerous habits which can blow up into a more serious situation. I don't want to come off as rude or anything and I hope you don't get upset if I'm overstepping boundaries. I just have experience with this sort of mind set and thinking pattern and it took me a very long time to heal from it.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you had a diabetes screening? Eat more and schedule a check up with your doctor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    betzd189 wrote: »
    I have been working out and eating 2 low-carb and 2 high carb meals a day totaling 14 to 1500 cal and I'm losing weight 2 to 3 pounds a week but I'm hungry and I'm dizzy and I'm afraid to eat more because I don't want to stop losing the weight any thoughts or things I should add or do different?
    Losing weight doesn't trump going to the hospital for a health issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• betzd189
    betzd189 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome , thanks for all the replies Tips and info , I will up it a bit 3 to 500 more per day and go from there see how that is.
  • betzd189
    betzd189 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    Like others have stated you need to eat more. The fact that you have stated you are afraid to eat more because of weight gain is a bit alarming. Men can suffer from eating disorders as well as women. Often times we overlook men because we think they don't have the same body issues as women do. If this is something that is starting to become obsessive I urge you to seek some sort of therapy for this issue. Letting thoughts or feelings like that go unchecked can set you up for some dangerous habits which can blow up into a more serious situation. I don't want to come off as rude or anything and I hope you don't get upset if I'm overstepping boundaries. I just have experience with this sort of mind set and thinking pattern and it took me a very long time to heal from it.

Thanks for the concern that's great I've only been at this a few weeks and I'm just excited to see results and don't want to jeopardize that but mentally I'm good and don't have any kind of disorder.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    betzd189 wrote: »
    Thanks for the concern that's great I've only been at this a few weeks and I'm just excited to see results and don't want to jeopardize that but mentally I'm good and don't have any kind of disorder.

Sounds good :smile: It's very easy to get discouraged when we want to see the scale go down. Try not to worry about the number too much. Especially if you reach a standstill. It happens! The body just needs to adjust at its own pace.