How many eggs should you consume daily

Options
I love eggs however have been told more than 3 are not good for you.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The current medical recommendation is one per day : http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I eat hard-boiled eggs almost every day - I take two to work and have one with the yolk and one without. Three yolks a week as mentioned in the article above seems reasonable to me. I love the whites.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    British Medical Journal --- "Higher consumption of eggs (up to one egg per day) is not associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease or stroke."

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8539

And a bit more on the whole cholesterol myth debate:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/2/333.full
  • glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat two per day. It's the only thing I can think of for breakfast.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs and then add in egg whites to my breakfast.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think 2 a day is fine. They've debunked that dietary cholesterol (in eggs) has a strong link to total cholesterol in the body, especially if you exercise a lot so that the plaque can't build up in your arteries.

Since my family is plagued by cholesterol issues, I take a "better safe than sorry" approach and eat a 3-egg omelette (with the yolks) with cheese twice every week. My total cholesterol was down 60 points since last year and my HDL was up 20 points, so clearly eggs aren't giving me any trouble. :)
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 daily usually. Some call me egghead. Boiled, fried, sunny side, omelette, poached. Eggs are awesome
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs every day (rarely eat any breakfast), but I can easily eat 4 (omelette style) in one sitting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have 3 chickens so it depends on on many they lay that day :)
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I only like the whites not the yoke, not a calorie or health thing just my wonky taste buds. I eat 100g ( or about 3 egg whites) 3-5 times a week. It's a good sorce of protien and I like them.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just ate three. I'm still alive.

If you have problems with high cholesterol or diabetes, then you may want to limit. The topic of eggs is about as controversial as diet soda, though. One egg has a little under 200 mg of cholesterol. For a healthy adult, no more than 300 mg of cholesterol should be eaten daily. For one with chol. problems, limit to 200 mg per day (AHA).

I think a lot of studies have shown that 1: It is more about what you are eating with the eggs (bacon, sausage, etc.) 2: You should make sure the rest of your diet is balanced and 3: Genetics play a factor. I didn't do a literature review, though.

In other words, I probably wouldn't eat a dozen a day. But eggs are beneficial for phytochemicals (caroteniods), folate, and choline... And of course protein and fat.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 2-3 / 4-5 days a week. Last cholesterol test had my total cholesterol at 136.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i eat 2-4 daily.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 5 dozen per week in the ratio of 2 whole to 4 whites (for calorie reasons). Sometimes that means 2 whole eggs per day and sometimes it's 6. My blood work has remained excellent.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I ate 4 this morning and sickened myself. I'm normally eat 2 every other day.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast except on weekends and then I'll eat 4-6 at a time in an omlette. I'm a bit fed up with US government recommendations. They jumped up and down about eggs and cholestoral for so long, and then when they backed off they couldn't quite back away completely so we are now still supposed to limit them. Now, WHO is linking bacon to cancer, but I come no where near the daily consumption that they're looking at.

I follow my macros, basic micros, limit alochol consumption, and avoid eating massive amounts of nitrates. That and exercise. I'm sure something will eventually kill me anyway . . . Perhaps a giant meterorite made of bacon. A guy can dream . . .
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    When I eat them I either eat 2-3 eggwhites scrambled or I will eat a boiled egg. The yellow tends to be high in calories so I prefer eggwhites.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    The current medical recommendation is one per day : http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

Heh.

My average is 6-8. I had a dozen the other day. 3 hard boiled and 6 whole and 3 whites as an scrambled mess.