I have 165 calories left for the day~

Options
I have 165 calories left for the day! What would be the most value for those calories? something that would fill my stomach and have a lot of volume? celery?

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    what time is it? if it is the evening, then yes, find something filling and try to push through... but if it is still early it is going to be silly to torture yourself eating only celery! If you have accidentally blown all your calories early on, consider eating up to maintenance or something for today... forgive yourself for it, and make a new start tomorrow.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Celery with peanut butter would be better and more filling. One TBSP of peanut butter is about 100 calories. Try to get balance in your meals and snacks: if you have a bit of fat and protein along with your celery it makes this so much easier. Cream cheese and celery is yummy, too.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ew, celery!
    If you're hungry, go with some protein. I'd probably do some Greek yogurt with fresh fruit. Or if I just want to eat the calories to enjoy them, maybe a little ice cream, or some chocolate. Maybe popcorn.
  • wectmall
    wectmall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    thanks! when I make airpopped popcorn, I weigh it and half a bowl always comes out to be like 477 calories with nothing on it! I love it and do it here and there, but that eats up a good portion of my 1200 calories for the day. It's only 1;20 pm here, so I guess I will go with celery. Unless there is a lower calorie high volume food that I am forgetting about. I am trying to lose, so 1200 calories is what is set for me to lose .5 lb per week.
  • wectmall
    Options
    oh and I deduct the weight of the bowl!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    wectmall wrote: »
    thanks! when I make airpopped popcorn, I weigh it and half a bowl always comes out to be like 477 calories with nothing on it! I love it and do it here and there, but that eats up a good portion of my 1200 calories for the day. It's only 1;20 pm here, so I guess I will go with celery. Unless there is a lower calorie high volume food that I am forgetting about. I am trying to lose, so 1200 calories is what is set for me to lose .5 lb per week.

80 grams (1 cup) of air popped popcorn with nothing on it is 31 calories. 477 calories is 15 cups of popcorn. If you're really just air popping (no oil) I don't see how you're eating 15 cups/1200 grams of popcorn.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    expecting celery to tide you over for 8-10 hours is how people wind up failing at diets. You planned badly and you blew your calories early on, but deal with it and eat *healthy food* (food that will fill your stomach and not leave you starving at bedtime).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I personally would just accept being over and have a normal portion of chicken with some vegetables for dinner with fruit and vegetables as a snack.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

80 grams (1 cup) of air popped popcorn with nothing on it is 31 calories. 477 calories is 15 cups of popcorn. If you're really just air popping (no oil) I don't see how you're eating 15 cups/1200 grams of popcorn.

This! You're measuring something wrong. My stomach would burst before I could get 477 calories of plain air popped popcorn in there. Look at a 1 cup measuring cup, then picture fifteen of them. Unless the bowl you're filling is the size of a fish tank, a half a bowl of air popped popcorn is nowhere near 477 calories.

Having said that, losing weight and keeping it off is a long-term process. One "bad" day won't derail you unless you let it! Eat reasonably for the rest of the day, accept that you will be over your goal for the day, and do better tomorrow. There's no reason to be hungry, gnawing on celery for the rest of the day :wink:
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I personally would do 4oz of chicken which the varieties I use are 90-100 cals. Or just eat sensible the rest of the day and go over and move on. Plan better from now on.
  • wectmall
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys. And with the air popped popcorn calorie total----I hope you all are right, but according to my scale----minus the bowl weight, I was getting between 477 and 550 calories each time. I used presto popper that you put kernels in and then pop in the microwave----with nothing but popcorn kernels. The container fills to the brim----popping the lid off and then I transfer it into a plastic bowl. Does anyone use one of these? Do you make the full size container and if so how many calories is it?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys. And with the air popped popcorn calorie total----I hope you all are right, but according to my scale----minus the bowl weight, I was getting between 477 and 550 calories each time. I used presto popper that you put kernels in and then pop in the microwave----with nothing but popcorn kernels. The container fills to the brim----popping the lid off and then I transfer it into a plastic bowl. Does anyone use one of these? Do you make the full size container and if so how many calories is it?

Are you weighing the kernels before you put them in, or just afterwards?

~Lyssa
  • wectmall
    Options
    my scale has been accurate for everything. when I weigh a peeled grapefruit it's usually 20 calories more than what the bag says when you scan the upc. I would think I would be getting wrong caloric values for the rest of my stuff as well, not just the popcorn. I really am hoping you are right!
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Accept that today was not thought out as well as you usually do :) and have a nice meal without going completely overboard. Then, read a good book, have someone give you a nice foot massage and go to bed early. Tomorrow is another day and a new battle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

that's like 15 cups of popcorn...that's a *kitten* ton of popcorn...I think you'e measuring something wrong.

also, I'd just chalk it up to one of those days and eat my meals as I normally would...sucking on celery for the rest of the days sounds like a *kitten* time.
  • wectmall
    Options
    ok guys thanks a bunch. will do better tomorrow.

And I checked my presto popcorn popper---it makes 3 quarts which is 12 cups----it always overflows the lid by at least 2 more cups---so 15 cups times 31 is 451 calories. And I easily eat that much. It only fills up half of a bowl that you mix cake batter in. Sucks. I don't eat it that much anymore because that is a lot of calories.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i'd go for a walk.... 50 minutes earned me 199 cals today
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ok guys thanks a bunch. will do better tomorrow.

And I checked my presto popcorn popper---it makes 3 quarts which is 12 cups----it always overflows the lid by at least 2 more cups---so 15 cups times 31 is 451 calories. And I easily eat that much. It only fills up half of a bowl that you mix cake batter in. Sucks. I don't eat it that much anymore because that is a lot of calories.

You must be doing the calculation wrong.

Unless the popcorn is battered and fried, then topped with sugar, there is no way it is 450 calories.
  • wectmall
    Options
    nope it's right 31 calories per cup times 15 cups
  • wectmall
    Options
    i think that is what causes us to under estimate our calories. we think a cup is a lot more than it actually is