salad dressing

Options
pballer23
pballer23 Posts: 12 Member
Any1 have a recipe for a homade salad dressings that's healthy for you!??

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    - 1tbs olive oil
    - 3 or 4tbs vinegar (5tbs depending on your taste)
    - salt
    - Pepper
    - Onion powder
    - Garlic powder
    - Oregano (optional)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Poppyseed Dressing:
    1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp honey
    1 tablespoon poppyseeds
    1/4 tsp celery seed

Best to make a few hours before dinner and refrigerate so the flavors all meld together! This one is especially good for coleslaws or tossed-type salads.

Lemon Balsamic:
    1 part olive oil to 1 part Balsamic (The richer the better-I like Trader Joe's Aceto Balsamica with the gold label)
    dried basil and lemon zest to taste.
    Whip it with an eggbeater to get a nice emulsified texture instead of a globby oily texture. My husband likes lots of lemon and usually adds lemon juice to this, but I like it just a little lemony. (YOu can also make it with the TJ's lemon olive oil instead of adding lemon zest.)

We put this on EVERYHING! And you can make a jar of it and keep it in the fridge, just shake it up and serve.

Homemade Chunky Gorgonzola
    1/2 cup of TJ's Gorgonzola, crumbled
    1/2 cup of nonfat sour cream (I like the Lucerne. Penn Maid and a few dairies make it to, but check the ingredients because sometimes they use soy as a filler.)
    Celery salt- Just a dash!
    Black pepper & garlic powder- experiment until you get the flavor you like. I like just a hint so it kind of stays 'under the radar'.
    If it comes out too thick, you can use a little milk to thin it out. (We usually have it as more of a dip, rather than a dressing.)

I usually make this to use as a dip when I make fake chicken wings (buffalo-flavored chicken breast cutlets, really...) and it keeps well for salads the next day.
  • hollye44
    hollye44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This isn't "homemade," but mixing a package of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix with only water makes a good salad dressing. No oil or vinegar needed. Only 5 calories for the whole thing. ;)

Elizabeth, those dressings sound amazing!!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple: a nice EVOO and quality basalmic with a pinch of salt.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Not homemade but...low calorie? Hot sauce. Packs a punch and has almost no calories.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This isn't low calorie, but a little goes a long way and it's worth every calorie.

Four rolled anchovies with capers. Mash it with a tablespoon of whole grain mustard. Add half a teaspon of cane sugar and the juice of one large lemon. Add four tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and combine. Food processor not necessary, esp if you like tiny chunks of anchovy or mustard like I do. Since it's so acidic, it pairs well with fibrous chewy things.

This makes 6 servings, 88 calories each of salty goodness. For a light lunch, I toss this with a cup of micro kale, a medium boiled egg, and a few almonds. For a hearty dinner nicoise salad, I serve this with a four ounces of rare broiled salmon, three boiled baby potatoes, a bit of blanched green beans, a boiled egg, all over a bed of frisee.

Ps, I used to make loaded salads with lots of good stuff, and somehow they just wouldn't come together. Now I follow the rules in this article and it all works

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/how-to-dress-any-salad-green
  • calmsorroe
    calmsorroe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love this homemade ranch dressing. Use it on salads and for veggie dipping. Only 30 calories per 2 tbsp serving.

http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/the-best-skinny-ranch-dressing-3-ingredients

/
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is a bunch of lime lol srry i that didnt help but its tru i squees like 2 whole lime on my chicken and salad
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Straight balsamic. Adds no calories and tasty!
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    @fluffygo lime makes everything better!
  • rwm629
    rwm629 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do something that may seem a little goofy, but it works for me and I really like it. I buy a decent brand of light ranch dressing and mix it 50/50 with a good spicy store bought taco sauce. The ranch is 70 calories per two tablespoons and the taco sauce is 20 calories for two tablespoons. So the mixture ends up being only 45 calories for a 2 TBSP serving. It ends up tasting like a southwestern ranch dressing and I really like it.
  • lillisag
    lillisag Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rwm629 wrote: »
    I do something that may seem a little goofy, but it works for me and I really like it. I buy a decent brand of light ranch dressing and mix it 50/50 with a good spicy store bought taco sauce. The ranch is 70 calories per two tablespoons and the taco sauce is 20 calories for two tablespoons. So the mixture ends up being only 45 calories for a 2 TBSP serving. It ends up tasting like a southwestern ranch dressing and I really like it.

I do this too!!!!!

When I am serious about calories and Fat I substitute homemade or store bought Salsa for dressing.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    5 Tablespoons EVOO
    2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (not yellow mustard)
    1/2-1 Tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
  • rwm629
    rwm629 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lillisag wrote: »
    rwm629 wrote: »

I do this too!!!!!

When I am serious about calories and Fat I substitute homemade or store bought Salsa for dressing.

I have done that also, but like the dressing mixture better. But salsa alone is so calorie cheap!