I'm recovering from a stroke and have a low thyroid. Now wha

Options
Hi Everyone. I've been on this for about three weeks and now weigh a half pound MORE than when I started. It's hard to follow an eating plan in the summer, but, then again, when IS there a right time?

I have a very low thyroid, which I'm taking medication for, but it just seems to make my efforts next to impossible. No problem gaining--that's really easy, but losing? Oh boy, no way!

I really got in this mess over the past year. I had a couple of strokes last fall. No one really knows why they happened -- I don't have high BP and my cholesteral is normal, plus I'm only 46years old! But once they happened I was off work for about five months. Spending a Canadian winter recouping is depressing and I found it getting to me. I ended up in this sad routine of really not doing much to fill my day: I slept in until noon and then sat around either watching TV or I spent time on the computer. Well, it became time to go back to work in February and guess what? I've GAINED MORE WEIGHT since I've started back at work! Now I know I'm gaining some lost muscle back but... really!

I've been trying to go for walks every day (I had my knee re-built last spring) and trying, trying, TRYING to eat right. But clearly I have to do more. I find I'm good for a day or two but then a glass of wine calls me or we go out for beer and nachos. How can I stay extra motivated? How does one keep saying "no" to beer and nachos?

Replies

• kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that! It sounds like a huge struggle. i am also from Canada so know how brutal a Canadian winter would be if you can't do anything.

I also hear the call of red wine frequently :-) (and dark chocolate!). I have to admit I indulge frequently but have tried to balance it with other heathier choices. Saying that - not sure i should be giving advice since I've only los 2 lbs so far!

I hope it all turns around for you! Luckily summer is on its way so it is a bit nicer.
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if you made your diary public so folks can take a look to see what you're eating, what kind of and how much exercise you're getting, and how much water you're drinking.
  • nanfisch
    nanfisch Posts: 5
    Options
    Well 2 pounds is a start! I used to be able to balance my wine "problem" with healthier choices too, but since the strokes I'm just not motivated. Fitness Pal is helping me focus every day, I'll admit, so hopefully motivation will kick in soon.

Good luck to ya, my fellow Canadian!
  • nanfisch
    Options
    Inifosynth, your idea is a good one. Posting my meals would show what the problem is, loud an clear.
    My problem is that I KNOW what I'm doing wrong-- The stroke has seemed to take away my motivation so I'm not saying "no" to temptation. I mean, yesterday, I golfed (which is GOOD) but then followed it up with 3 drinks and some nachos (which is BAD)

Sigghh
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What I seem to hear in you is blaming your stroke and state of health for your lack of motivation. That is easy to slip into, but the only way you are going to get on top of this is by getting angry, if you need to and move to take back control of your life.

Falling into a depressive pattern of eating and not doing anything is just going to make things worse. You have to want to be better, have a healthier life.

Take the reins, steer your life in the direction you want it. Don't let the randomness of the strokes ruin the rest of your life.

Fight back!! You have to care about yourself.
  • nanfisch
    Options
    Hi potluck965

Wow. That's exactly what I'm doing -- I'm blaming my lack of motivation on my recent woes.
    Thanks for your comment. You're right, I have to get back to the point where I care about myself.

I can do that.