Hello all :)

Options
Hi, I'm a veteran of the weight wars, and I've finally surrendered to the reality that gimmicks don't work. This is the first time I've done just a plain old, logical, CICO method of losing the extra pounds. I started on MFP right before Christmas when I got my Garmin vivosmart, and I'm 21 lbs down since then. I still have about 45 to go, but I'm not denying myself anything besides the unreasonable portions.

No more get-thin-quick schemes, just good slow, steady weight loss that I can maintain. My progress has inspired my wife to join me in getting healthy, which makes it so much easier and more fun. Looking forward to gabbing with you in the forums!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Awesome! When I finally surrendered to the idea that I wasn't going to lose weight and keep it off unless I stopped trying gimmicks, I lost the weight and have kept it off for years. I love that your wife is doing this with you. :)

Welcome to MFP!
  • CraigontheCoast
    CraigontheCoast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love the common sense and the not-taking-themselves-too-seriously that I've seen in this community.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Figlupop wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a veteran of the weight wars, and I've finally surrendered to the reality that gimmicks don't work. This is the first time I've done just a plain old, logical, CICO method of losing the extra pounds. I started on MFP right before Christmas when I got my Garmin vivosmart, and I'm 21 lbs down since then. I still have about 45 to go, but I'm not denying myself anything besides the unreasonable portions.

No more get-thin-quick schemes, just good slow, steady weight loss that I can maintain. My progress has inspired my wife to join me in getting healthy, which makes it so much easier and more fun. Looking forward to gabbing with you in the forums!

It took me a long time to realize the same thing you realized. It's hard work at first, counting calories and all, but you do need to know what you are putting in your body. And, if it is not nourishing, why are we doing it? Life isn't all about ruining what we're blessed with but to take good care of it and give it what it needs to function well. I didn't ever think I would do this either. But nothing else worked (or should I say, nothing worked cause I didn't work it very well). But this time in my life, I am finally ready and I've been on MFP since last June. I'm down 25 and seem to be kind of stalled since late January so a bit discouraged but I'm keeping on keeping on, as they say. You have been doing really well....and all since right before Christmas! Remarkable! You should be proud of your efforts. Don't think about the "45 to go". Just one pound at a time is easier to think about. Just like AA or smoking. Just get through today the best you can. And if we falter...and we will. That is okay. You have a brand new day to begin again (smile)!
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    lthur714 wrote: »
    Figlupop wrote: »

It took me a long time to realize the same thing you realized. It's hard work at first, counting calories and all, but you do need to know what you are putting in your body. And, if it is not nourishing, why are we doing it? Life isn't all about ruining what we're blessed with but to take good care of it and give it what it needs to function well. I didn't ever think I would do this either. But nothing else worked (or should I say, nothing worked cause I didn't work it very well). But this time in my life, I am finally ready and I've been on MFP since last June. I'm down 25 and seem to be kind of stalled since late January so a bit discouraged but I'm keeping on keeping on, as they say. You have been doing really well....and all since right before Christmas! Remarkable! You should be proud of your efforts. Don't think about the "45 to go". Just one pound at a time is easier to think about. Just like AA or smoking. Just get through today the best you can. And if we falter...and we will. That is okay. You have a brand new day to begin again (smile)! You and your wife will be able to encourage one another. That can make all the difference.

• CraigontheCoast
    CraigontheCoast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great perspective Ithur714!