Consistent effort but still NO WT LOSS!

Options
2»

Replies

• dianabelle75
    dianabelle75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, and treadmills and other fitness calculators are notoriously inaccurate without a heart rate monitor. Could she be overestimating calories burned? More info here: http://www.active.com/running/articles/how-many-calories-does-running-burn?cmp=17N-PB4-S31-T6-D7-03132016-1162
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    She does keep the weigh in conditions as close to the same as possible. How much more specific can you be when portioning your food? I know what she eats and I check her data she puts in. You could be right about the water retention but idk it just seems odd. But if she went from a 6 to a 4 I just don't get why there is no change in weight. She's frustrated and I want her to be encouraged not discouraged. I'd feel the same way If I had the same problem

Tone honest, this seems a bit overbearing. I know if it were me and one of my significant others were double checking everything, I would quickly get pissed off and rebel.

It's her that's asking me to help her track I don't do it unless she asks me! Yea obviously anyone would be pissed if it was like that. Your response was both not helpful and judgemental in a way. If you have nothing to say that's helpful or positive don't bother. Thanks!

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hko718 wrote: »
    Height, age, weight, type of work. And how many calories is she eating a day

5'4", 149 lb, 28 yrs old, 1450 or so a day

At her height the proper weight range for her would be 111-146. She is barely at the top end of the healthy weight range and that may be why it's so much harder for her to show a loss. That happens to a lot of people when they get so close to the ideal weight for their height. She also may be retaining water after all the exercising. The main thing is she is losing inches. I wish I could get in a size 6, let alone a size 4, LOL. I'm 4'11 and only 131 lbs and wear a size 9/10.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    She does keep the weigh in conditions as close to the same as possible. How much more specific can you be when portioning your food? I know what she eats and I check her data she puts in. You could be right about the water retention but idk it just seems odd. But if she went from a 6 to a 4 I just don't get why there is no change in weight. She's frustrated and I want her to be encouraged not discouraged. I'd feel the same way If I had the same problem

Tone honest, this seems a bit overbearing. I know if it were me and one of my significant others were double checking everything, I would quickly get pissed off and rebel.

I mean....it really sounds like she's trying to figure out what's wrong so she's using him as a double-checker for her food. It's a really weird and mean assumption to jump to that he's doing it without her asking or wanting help.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    hko718 wrote: »
    Height, age, weight, type of work. And how many calories is she eating a day

5'4", 149 lb, 28 yrs old, 1450 or so a day

At her height the proper weight range for her would be 111-146. She is barely at the top end of the healthy weight range and that may be why it's so much harder for her to show a loss. That happens to a lot of people when they get so close to the ideal weight for their height. She also may be retaining water after all the exercising. The main thing is she is losing inches. I wish I could get in a size 6, let alone a size 4, LOL. I'm 4'11 and only 131 lbs and wear a size 9/10.

I wouldn't call his girlfriend obese obviously, but being at the top end of a healthy weight range is not really cause for a stall. If she's truly eating 1450, she should be losing weight. I'm 5'3" and I started at 139 which was already in a healthy weight range and lost steadily without a hitch on more calories than that until I hit 109 and then I started my bulk. I'm not an outlier either; a lot of people have similar stories. I'm thinking something is amiss.
  • Savannahmiamaddie
    Savannahmiamaddie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Has she talked to her doctor and had any blood work done? I think everyone should check in with their healthcare provider before dieting. For example, I have hypothyroidism. Without the medications to manage the hypothyroidism, I wouldn't be able to lose any weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options

What does it matter. I know we live in a culture obsessed with weight, but if she really went down two sizes who cares what the scale says. NO ONE, absolutely no one she doesn't tell will know what her weight is, all they see is that she is smaller. If she is getting smaller, she is losing something, and the weight will show up eventually. This might be helpful to read, http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

Weight is probably the most unhelpful way to measure progress. Pictures, body measurement, and how clothing fits is far more useful, and it is how a person looks that people see, not the weight the scale gives.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I would say going down 2 sizes is great progress.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    MamaMc3 wrote: »
    If she is not eating enough (at least 1,200 calories - probably more!), her body could be holding onto the weight, too.

No. Just NO.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would be happy to go from size 6 to size 4 no matter what my weight did. Who cares about the number on the scale? She's 5'4" & size 4 FTLOG.

This. Who cares what your number is in relation to gravity?
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey guys, so my gf doesn't feel like going on these message boards so I thought I'd help her out by asking you guys myself. She is consistently eating under her calories that MFP sets up for her based on her current weight and what her goal weight is. She has noticed a small difference in her size, specifically her pants size have basically gone down a size. She has lost zero lbs though! Her bf% has stayed the same too! She runs on treadmill for an hour about 4 days a week. Does she need to increase the cardio? There are some days that she barely eats enough and I told her I think that if you calorie restrict too much you might not lose any weight. So yea what do you guys think?

well there are many factors that can cause this. I will go into a few obvious ones then hit on a couple key points you may want to tell her to look into. First the obvious: is she in fact eating at a deficit by properly weighing and measuring her foods? Is she actually "running" on the treadmill the entire 60 minutes when she works out? When she runs, is she doing interval training with inclines or is she running through normally and on a consistent speed? (interval training gets you a better and more effective workout) Is she sure that she isn't losing inches and not weight while her body readjusts intself to muscle index, et? And is her goal realistic for her height and age? Now those are the obvious culprits. Here are some key points she may want to look into: First you both need to understand that MFP has it set up so the calories you are allowed to eat in order to get a deficit are a base and does not factor in the exercise or activity you do. It may seem counterproductive but you do need to eat all the calories that MFP allows plus any exercise calories you earn for that day. I reccomend you look into BMR information and check other sites to compare with what MFP allows you. Why do I say this: because I had the same problem once I got down close to my goal size and had increased my activity (exercise) I hit a plateu with what MFP said I could eat. I then looked into my BMR reccomendations and what I should eat as far as calories in a day and discovered that MFP was actually saying I should eat way less. ONce I upped those calories by 500.. I was back to losing weight again. Also I had to change up my exercise routine by adding in weight resistance training and doing interval training when I ran/walked. I ended up getting in a better sweat and also it helped with the losing weight again as well. She may also want to make sure the calories she eats are good calories and not empty ones. Carbs are hidden everywhere. I hope all this long long answer helps. Just try to make a change at least for a few weeks and see how that goes.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    An hours cardio 4 days a week works out to be around 2400 calories burnt. If she'd also eating in a deficit at 100 calories a day that'd 700 calories. That's a lbs a week weightloss assuming the figures tally, CICO.

There's only three possibities...

1. She's not measuring her food or is eating extra calories and not counting them.
    2. She is eating beyond her bodies ability to burn fat, lower calorie consumption.
    3. She has an medical condition such as an under active thyroid, unlikely.

• Patrice120
    Patrice120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm about her same size and I maintain at 1500 to 1700 calories per day. My goal is 1200 per day and I lose on average 1 pound per week. Bodies don't lose evenly though each week. Sometimes I lose a little nothing or very little in a week and sometimes over 2 pounds. Women's bodies especially hold water weight at times. How lon has she been trying?

A few thoughts...

Does she eat a lot of processed food? If so, try cutting back and eat more fresh foods because there is a lot of sodium in processed food that will make her retain water. Also, labels are not exactly accurate. I once heard that they are allowed to be up to 30% off on calories. If there is something she eats quite often and the calories are off then it could add up.

Is her exercise routine new? If so her body could be holding a lot of water. Tell her to just keep with it and it will eventually come off and she'll see a big drop at all at once.

But I do think if she goes down to 1200 she will see a difference. Although if her pants size is going down then that is a good sign that something is working.
  • Patrice120
    Patrice120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One more thought but not for you to answer here. Is she on any medication? Certain medicine can really impact weight.