Calorie intake?

Options
Mine says 1200 calories a day.
I thought at first this would be so little, but now that I'm trying to get up to 1200 calories a day, its actually a lot to eat. I either go over carbs, and have not enough fat.

What does your calorie intake say? I had two friends join the site today, and it told them 1200 too.
One works out for 30 minutes everyday.
I chose 30 min work outs 3-4 times a week.

She chose lose a pound a week, I chose lose 2 a week.

So, what's everyone's calorie intake? How do you fulfill those last few calories you are supposed to have? I have 88 left today, over 3 on my carbs and 3 on my protein, so what do I even eat?! It keeps telling me I'm eating too little and my body is gonna go into starvation mode!

Replies

• justsalad
    justsalad Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mine says 1200 calories a day.
    I thought at first this would be so little, but now that I'm trying to get up to 1200 calories a day, its actually a lot to eat. I either go over carbs, and have not enough fat.

What does your calorie intake say? I had two friends join the site today, and it told them 1200 too.
    One works out for 30 minutes everyday.
    I chose 30 min work outs 3-4 times a week.

She chose lose a pound a week, I chose lose 2 a week.

So, what's everyone's calorie intake? How do you fulfill those last few calories you are supposed to have? I have 88 left today, over 3 on my carbs and 3 on my protein, so what do I even eat?! It keeps telling me I'm eating too little and my body is gonna go into starvation mode!
  • cwalbrj
    cwalbrj Posts: 61
    Options
    Mine said 1200 also - I think it's "set" like that (because no one should eat less than 1200 per day).
    Once you do your BMI, it will calculate what your resting calorie intake is (if you did nothing all day, how many calories you burn just to breathe and live). Mine was 1600 something - so I manually set my calorie intake to be 1350 calories per day. Somedays I eat all my calories (I try to workout each day) and sometimes I fall below. Except yesterday... :happy: went over my cals by about 200.. does that help ?
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day, and I'm with you I thought I would be starving, but it was the opposite. I'm trying to figure out how to eat all these calories.
    Also, I didn't realize if you workout you need to eat the calories you burn?
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oh and my calorie intake is 1200 also. I chose to lose 2lbs a week, and it calculated 1.9 lbs a week.
    But it goes up when you enter your exercise for the day.
  • nursemeg21
    Options
    I find I have the opposite problem. I find 1200 is not enough and I am hungry. I guess the foods I eat are more high calorie. I find it hard to have a filling enough supper. Most days I only have about 350 left for supper.
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I calculated my BMR, it was about 1800. With daily activity, I burn about 2,250 calories a day. So I set my intake at 1900 just to stay healthy. I eat healthy snacks throughout the day (A cup of Cheerios dry is a favorite) and slowly chip away at that number. These past few days, I've felt the best I've ever felt, but that might be all in my head :laugh:
  • michelleisfit
    michelleisfit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have mine at 1200 too but with my daily exercise and with walking to work it puts me at over 2000 calories a day, sometimes as high as 2300 depending on what I did that day. I usually eat around 1800 or 1900.
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I set mine manually to 1500. I work out and I am okay with losing the weight slowly so even though the site "recommended" 1200 initially, I changed it. I thought I would be too hungry only eating 1200. I'm still losing weight.
    The first few weeks I was right around the right amount of calories per day. The last few days I have noticed that I have calories leftover. I think it's mainly because I've been eating a lighter breakfast and lunch (lower calorie soup, etc).
    Tonight I had 25 almonds to get in another 150 calories. Easy to eat and good for me. :)
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Mine also says 1200 but I rarely eat that little. I don't think it is enough. I have had thyroid issues in the past so I zig zag my calories between 1200 and 1400 or so and also have once a week where I eat maintanece ( or..maybe a little more :blushing: ) to help keep my thryroid from getting sluggish. I am losing weight doing this so I really think that 1200 would be too low to eat everyday.
  • harlequsngirl
    Options
    I struggle with this. I have yet to be able to eat all the calories I am supposed to eat. My calorie intake is set at 1350 but with my exercise every day it jumps up to 1600-1800 or more. I average about 900 a day.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. I have yet to be able to eat all the calories I am supposed to eat. My calorie intake is set at 1350 but with my exercise every day it jumps up to 1600-1800 or more. I average about 900 a day.

You need to throw in more than that. Anything under 1000 puts you in starvation mode. Eat veggies or a bowl of cerial or a 100 calorie pack...you need to be eating more. This is not healthy! I'm just worrying about you, is all, not criticizing. I'm no expert, but I do know that you need to eat at the VERY least 1200.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    1200 is the standard that the program will not allow you to go below, it is the default number. The program isn't perfect, if you notice some poeple have 100 pounds to lose some have 25, but each are given 1200 if they want to lose 2 pounds per week. To calculate more accurately how many you should be eating, based on your height, weight and age, go to the tools section and calculate your BMR, that is the number you should be eating so your metabolism doesn't slow down. You have to then adjust your goals manually to enter this amount of calories. Check out some sites regarding BMR on the internet and starvation mode. I hope this helps, I hope no one takes offence, just some of the stuff I have discovered since being here.

read the posts entitled, "posts you should read over and over" (something like that) a lot of useful information on how many calories you should eat.