Low carb, low cal, no noodle "healthy" lasagna?

Options
woja9640
woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
Hi everyone, I know it's been a while since I have posted. However, I have to share this excellent recipe for a "healthy" low cal and low carb lasagna with no lasagna noodles.

Here it is:

First, the sauce...

1 small, medium chopped onion
3 chopped cloves of fresh garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
3 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 chopped red bell pepper

1. In sauté pan drizzle olive oil around pan and "sweat" or sauté the onion and garlic with 1 tsp of the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Doing this let's the aromatics develop their flavor.

2. Now add in the tomatoes and red bell pepper and add another tsp of Italian seasoning. Let simmer on low for 30-45 min to reduce down.

3. When the rest of the "mis-en-place" is ready, cook the 1 lb of ground beef (or turkey if you prefer) in 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Once cooked add in 2/3 of the prepared sauce to the meat.

Second, the "noodles"...

5-8 good sized zucchini, peeled

1. Peel the zucchini and slice the zucchini using a mandolin slicer, if you have one.

2. Place on cookie sheet and sprinkle some salt, place in oven under the broiler for 10-15 min, helps to dry out the zucchini to give it the "al dente" noodle texture.

3. Pull out of the oven and place one layer in bottom of the lasagna pan.

Third, the cheese mixture...

1 container of low fat Ricotta Cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. In medium mixing bowl take the ricotta, egg and parmesan and mix till smooth.

Fourth, putting it all together...

1. Take the cheese mix and layer over the bottom layer of the zucchini.

2. Layer the meat/sauce mix on top of cheese layer.

3. Put on top the rest of the zucchini and top that with the remaining sauce and 1 and 1/2 lbs. of shredded low fat mozzarella cheese.

4. Bake in oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Cover with foil for first half of cooking time, make sure to fold the foil in half to create a small air pocket (helps prevent cheese from sticking to the foil).

5. Serve and enjoy!

Nurtitional info: Makes 9 servings. 310 Cals, 15 carbs, 500 mg sodium.

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    bookmarked! I love Italian food.
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    U should post a pic :)
  • woja9640
    Options
    *groans* I know, I should have taken one but I forgot. It was pretty tasty though, my dad even had seconds. You wouldn't know it was zucchini if you weren't looking for it. The meat, sauce and cheese hides the flavor.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I bet this works well with eggplant too!
  • lynnlove33
    lynnlove33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try it!
  • luvbodybuilding
    luvbodybuilding Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make something similar, but up the protein and reduce the fat by halving the ricotta and parmesan and substituting crumbled firm tofu. And yest, @MinmoInk, eggplant works great!
  • AmandajoyFair
    AmandajoyFair Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have to try this!!!!
  • denaallen1000
    denaallen1000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    woja9640 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I know it's been a while since I have posted. However, I have to share this excellent recipe for a "healthy" low cal and low carb lasagna with no lasagna noodles.

Here it is:

First, the sauce...

1 small, medium chopped onion
    3 chopped cloves of fresh garlic
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
    3 tsp Italian seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 chopped red bell pepper

1. In sauté pan drizzle olive oil around pan and "sweat" or sauté the onion and garlic with 1 tsp of the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Doing this let's the aromatics develop their flavor.

2. Now add in the tomatoes and red bell pepper and add another tsp of Italian seasoning. Let simmer on low for 30-45 min to reduce down.

3. When the rest of the "mis-en-place" is ready, cook the 1 lb of ground beef (or turkey if you prefer) in 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Once cooked add in 2/3 of the prepared sauce to the meat.

Second, the "noodles"...

5-8 good sized zucchini, peeled

1. Peel the zucchini and slice the zucchini using a mandolin slicer, if you have one.

2. Place on cookie sheet and sprinkle some salt, place in oven under the broiler for 10-15 min, helps to dry out the zucchini to give it the "al dente" noodle texture.

3. Pull out of the oven and place one layer in bottom of the lasagna pan.

Third, the cheese mixture...

1 container of low fat Ricotta Cheese
    1 egg
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. In medium mixing bowl take the ricotta, egg and parmesan and mix till smooth.

Fourth, putting it all together...

1. Take the cheese mix and layer over the bottom layer of the zucchini.

2. Layer the meat/sauce mix on top of cheese layer.

3. Put on top the rest of the zucchini and top that with the remaining sauce and 1 and 1/2 lbs. of shredded low fat mozzarella cheese.

4. Bake in oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Cover with foil for first half of cooking time, make sure to fold the foil in half to create a small air pocket (helps prevent cheese from sticking to the foil).

5. Serve and enjoy!

Nurtitional info: Makes 9 servings. 310 Cals, 15 carbs, 500 mg sodium.

This is a good recipe. If you want to skip the zucchini part and use a spaghetti squash instead just cut one in half length wise put in dish with water at the bottom and bake for about an hour depending on how big it is. It's done when fork gracefully goes through. Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning or these seasonings sound great and use a fork to scrap the spaghetti squash from shell. Enjoy
  • dlm110860
    dlm110860 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you know how much protein is on this recipe
  • woja9640
    Options
    Here is the nutritional facts on for this lasagna....

Servings 9.0

Amount Per Serving
    calories 310
    % = total daily value

Total Fat 16 g 25 %
    Saturated Fat 9 g 45 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g

Cholesterol 98 mg 33 %

Sodium 500 mg 21 %

Potassium 647 mg 18 %