Waist Training???

Options
I would like to know more about people who actually tried it. Did you have any success?? Give me some of your own personal pros and cons and also ones from people you know!!!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There are no pros. Waist training is not a real thing. Just made up garbage promoted on IG to separate you from your money
  • 1ladybug88
    1ladybug88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    There are no pros. Waist training is not a real thing. Just made up garbage promoted on IG to separate you from your money

Lol great answer.....
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's a modern day incarnation of the corset. Akin in brutality to foot binding...just recently read a news story about a woman who died as a result of "aggressive waist training."
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Waist training is bogus. Embrace your natural curves.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    "waist training" should actually be called "organ training". It's about moving your guts around into places they aren't normally to make your waist thinner. Aka, a corset.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    If wearing something tight around your body actually made you smaller and shaped you, then why in do you still see people wearing clothes too small for, bulging out of them? Things that make you go HMMMM.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 1ladybug88
    Options
    lmhbuss wrote: »
    It's a modern day incarnation of the corset. Akin in brutality to foot binding...just recently read a news story about a woman who died as a result of "aggressive waist training."

ohhhh my!!!!
  • 1ladybug88
    edited March 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Waist training is bogus. Embrace your natural curves.[/quot
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If wearing something tight around your body actually made you smaller and shaped you, then why in do you still see people wearing clothes too small for, bulging out of them? Things that make you go HMMMM.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Hmmmmmm....
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Completely unnecessary (the product above, I won't quote it to give it extra attention). Waist trainers have a long list of possible risks as well. What is your purpose with them? If you are looking for spot reduction, it won't help. If you want less belly fat (that's my current trouble spot), losing weight all over will help you get there. Genetics will decide where it comes off, unfortunately. Unless you go for surgical intervention.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Unlike the majority I have one and love it. Not only does it bring in my waist but it helps with my terrible posture and occasional back pain as well. I wouldn't read the comments on here about waist trainers because the MFP motto is anything fad is bad (which is true in most cases, not all). Also I find it hard to believe the stories of women dying from wearing them, there are little to no reports of this happening. And the way waist trainers are made are much different than corsets, they don't squish your organs because they aren't strong enough to.

The only downside to them is having to wear them daily to keep your results, other than that I recommend them.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    From someone who actually has used one, I can tell you that, yes it will cinche your waist, but I didn't find it permenant. When you take it off you will go back to normal size. I only wear mine if I've got a little dress to wear for the night and want to 'tuck in' my excess skin. It's probably best used just for tight clothes occasions in my opinion.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    They also weaken your core and back muscles.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have not used one, but from what I can gather by the comments here and elsewhere, the pros aren't enough to invest in one.

Yes, it will bring in your waist as long as you wear it, but it's not permanent. Do you really want to be walking around wearing something that gives you a slim appearance but when you take it off everything is back to normal? Do you really want to wear one every single day to "keep the results"? It sounds uncomfortable and annoying. When I was heavier, I used to see the waist trainers on Instagram and was intrigued because I didn't know any better. The IG girls have something to sell and that's it. Couple that with the fact that many of them can afford, and have had, surgeries that most people can't to make them look slimmer. Now that I've actually lost weight, I have abs and my stomach is flat as hell and I don't need a waist trainer. No matter whether I'm naked or clothed, the effect is permanent.

For women who have had children, women who are older, or women who suffer from loose skin, maybe it's good for a night out like @gemmamummy has stated. That or some Spanx would do it. However, most people don't buy waist trainers for a night out; they buy them thinking that if they wear them all the time, they will magically have that "perfect" hourglass figure.
  • 1ladybug88
    Options
    Oh wow. Thank you so much guys for the information that you all have provided for me!!!
  • princesschanteee
    princesschanteee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1ladybug88 wrote: »
    I would like to know more about people who actually tried it. Did you have any success?? Give me some of your own personal pros and cons and also ones from people you know!!!

For me personally it's amazing defiantly works if you stick too it, eat right and work out. I was on the second hook just after 10 days lost about 4 inches of my waist and tummy after about a month. The cons are it can be uncomfortable but if you want fast results I'd definitely recommend it! Especially if you have a holiday coming up and want that bikini bod!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The fetish practice called "waist training" will, in its extreme form, reshape your lower ribs and move your
    organs to places they're not meant to be, and will not function as well.
    Ever wonder why women who wore corsets were frequently depicted as fainting?

If you want a healthy way to get a trimmer, fitter, stronger core:
    eat less than you need to maintain your current weight
    do core-strengthening exercises
    do cardio to burn fat (won't just be the waist)

For a one-night change in appearance for a special event, power mesh or wide elastic will squish you into
    a new shape, but long-term healthy change does not come from a garment.

51637601.png
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Unlike the majority I have one and love it. Not only does it bring in my waist but it helps with my terrible posture and occasional back pain as well. I wouldn't read the comments on here about waist trainers because the MFP motto is anything fad is bad (which is true in most cases, not all). Also I find it hard to believe the stories of women dying from wearing them, there are little to no reports of this happening. And the way waist trainers are made are much different than corsets, they don't squish your organs because they aren't strong enough to.

The only downside to them is having to wear them daily to keep your results, other than that I recommend them.

On the contrary, a simple google search will provide you with the evidence that this can be very harmful and dangerous. For starters...

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/waist-training
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/11/05/waist-whittlers-dangers/75225022/

You'll also find articles like "mother kills 3 year old daughter using waist trainer" or "woman dies from asphyxiation using waist trainer".

Tell me again why she shouldn't read our comments?