Ridiculous...!!! A month in and nothing has moved

Replies

• MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    The nutritional report will show 'over' for fat and sugar levels yet overall I am within 1200 daily caloric total... Not sure about setting proper goals percentage breakdown for protein, carb and fat. I went for higher protein (90 gm) too hard to reach

Unless you're diabetic/insulin resistant/have specific health issues going over on sugar isn't a problem.

Since you're a beginner, I recommend you mainly focus on your calorie goal. At the end of the day, weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. A lot of people on here get caught up with counting carbs, fats, etc. but tbh your macronutrient (carb/protein/fat) percentage split doesn't make much of a difference for the average person looking to lose weight.

That being said protein does help with satiety and preserving muscle during weight loss, so I'd try and aim for higher protein. But unless you're doing a lot of strength training and exercises like that, super high protein really isn't necessary. As long as you are hitting the minimum of your macronutrient and micronutrient goals (you can easily google those online), then you can allocate your breakdown for protein, carb, and fat to what's comfortable and sustainable for you.
  • MichelleLea122
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    First of all, everyone is different genetically. Secondly, if you don't consume enough calories, your body will not burn fat. That also depends on your activity level. Lastly, success does not happen over night.

No. That's not how it works.

https://www.healthstatus.com/health_blog/body-fat-calculator-2/caloric-intake-affects-health-2/

OP is 5'2'', female, and 65 years old. Unless she's extremely active, 1200 is a perfectly reasonable goal for her.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    First of all, everyone is different genetically. Secondly, if you don't consume enough calories, your body will not burn fat. That also depends on your activity level. Lastly, success does not happen over night.

https://www.healthstatus.com/health_blog/body-fat-calculator-2/caloric-intake-affects-health-2/

That doesn't say anything about not losing fat from eating too few calories. You lose fat, muscle and fluid. 1200 for the op isn't unreasonable
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member

That doesn't say anything about not losing fat from eating too few calories. You lose fat, muscle and fluid. 1200 for the op isn't unreasonable

Your metabolic rate will drop dramatically if you eat too little calories and after three days of low calorie intake this will compound your muscle mass loss.

What do you think burns fat? If your metabolic rate drops significantly, your body will attack muscle as a source of energy. Instead of attacking fat cells. It seems you did not take the time to read the article.
  • singingflutelady

Your metabolic rate will drop dramatically if you eat too little calories and after three days of low calorie intake this will compound your muscle mass loss.

What do you think burns fat? If your metabolic rate drops significantly, your body will attack muscle as a source of energy. Instead of attacking fat cells. It seems you did not take the time to read the article.

The article isn't about eating 1200 calories though. That article is about starvation.
  • cgvet37

OP is 5'2'', female, and 65 years old. Unless she's extremely active, 1200 is a perfectly reasonable goal for her.

So, you automatically know what is ideal for her? I'm not saying her caloric intake is the issue. However, if she's not seeing any progress, it should be considered. When there is an issue, you try and remove all variables.
  • singingflutelady
    If 1200 was too low she'd be losing tons of weight.
  • cgvet37

Not necessarily. I have seen first hand, people who did not consume enough calories, and lost no significant amout of fat. Again, I'm not saying her caloric intake is the issue, but it's one variable.
  • cgvet37

The article is correct, you will loose weight. If it's do to a drop in metabolic rate, the body will attack muscle first.
  • MichelleLea122
    edited March 2016

So, you automatically know what is ideal for her? I'm not saying her caloric intake is the issue. However, if she's not seeing any progress, it should be considered. When there is an issue, you try and remove all variables.

Yes, but you try and remove the most optimal variables first like inaccurate logging, incorrect TDEE calculation, incorrect exercise calories burned, water weight etc. Even if starvation mode is a thing (it's not though), it shouldn't be the first thing we consider.

But according to a quote from the OP:

"Thanks all... I weighed a few things to get the gist of the size... Have eyeballed others but mostly locate the food item or close facsimile and enter that as the daily item under snack ...ie 1/2 cup of Astro 2% yogurt".

Her static weight is probably due to inaccurate logging.

Starvation mode is mathematically and physically impossible, for reasons I don't really feel like enumerating at this moment. The laws of thermodynamics do not simply change because someone wants an excuse to "eat more to lose weight".
  • janiceh2016
    janiceh2016 Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks so much to everyone for great info and links.... I appreciate it and feel more inspired to figure this thing out!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    I'm 67 and 5ft and have lost 38lbs to date on 1200 calories - WEIGH everything and do whatever exercise you can and the weight will start to come off, unless there are any medical reasons for it not to. Good luck :)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    OK, disregard the arguments about not eating enough. You are eating more than you think because you're not accurately measuring your food. Eyeballing it is not working for you. Use a food scale for ALL solids and measuring cups/spoons for ALL liquids.
  • janiceh2016
    janiceh2016 Posts: 15 Member
    Where do I enter my own measured foods if I am choosing and selecting entries from the database for example ... 1 scrambled egg??
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited March 2016
    Where do I enter my own measured foods if I am choosing and selecting entries from the database for example ... 1 scrambled egg??

I weigh before cooking, and then search for egg, whole, raw. The weight will be different after, so if you weigh after cooking, then look for egg, whole, scrambled.

They should both have a drop down to change to grams, if not, find a different entry.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited March 2016
    You can find all kinds of nonsense on the Internet, and the whole "if you don't eat enough, you won't lose weight" is nonsense. It just is; I'm sorry. It takes many months on a drastically low-calorie diet (in the range of 500 kcal a day) to wreck your metabolism. I've done the research in peer-reviewed, scientific articles.

I would say that the problem is inaccurate logging, plus nibbles, tastes, and sips that you don't log because it's impossible to find out how many calories are in one nibble, but those nibbles and tastes add up. I once read about a woman who tossed all the nibbles and tastes she would have normally eaten while cooking meals into a cereal bowl, and the bowl was nearly half full at the end of the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

I use "egg, whole, raw" plus whatever oil and vegetables I add.
  • kshama2001

Not necessarily. I have seen first hand, people who did not consume enough calories, and lost no significant amout of fat. Again, I'm not saying her caloric intake is the issue, but it's one variable.

They weren't creating a calorie deficit. They could have been overestimating exercise burns or underestimating their food. In no cases can not eating enough cause one to not lose weight. (Sometimes not eating enough can trigger a binge and wipe out the calorie deficit, but overall, they are still not not eating enough.)

• kshama2001
    Thanks... 65 at 5'2" and over 140lbs... Lots of middle stuff. I am a good walker and given up the white stuff, treats and wine!

I love walking. How much of your calories that you earn from walking are you eating back? MFP is overly generous with exercise calories and many people say to only eat a percentage, like 50%, back.

I have a fitbit which is much stingier with walking calories. I can safely eat all of those calories back.