Weight loss plateau and food

Options
So I have done research here about it and every article says to reduce calories. I'm already at 1,100-1,200 calories daily so I don't feel like I could drop anymore out to lose weight. I've tried ramping up my exercise and that hasn't worked either. Any ideas?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How long have you plateaued?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You probably need to tighten up your logging, especially if it's been at least four weeks without loss. You should not be eating less than 1200 calories, but you have to make sure those are accurately counted.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jenghig, have you thought you may not be eating enough? I have had a winge about my weight going up since starting MFP. I got fed up of people telling me I MUST be eating more when I know I wasn't. I went to Fatsecret for a couple of weeks which said I should be eating 400 calories more than MFP says. Although I couldn't eat that many I did relax more about things and ate more than MFP stated and started to lose again. Overall though I have only lost 3 lbs in nearly as many months which is disappointing. Maybe up your food intake for a week to give your body a bit of a kickstart.
  • jenghig
    jenghig Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did try tightening up my calorie intake and made sure I logged everything and weighed everything on a food scale. No luck. I've been stuck at the same weight for almost 3 weeks. I tried upping my calories a little no luck their either.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    jenghig wrote: »
    I did try tightening up my calorie intake and made sure I logged everything and weighed everything on a food scale. No luck. I've been stuck at the same weight for almost 3 weeks. I tried upping my calories a little no luck their either.

If it's only been a few weeks, don't panic. Especially if you've increased your exercise in that time. Any time you change or increase your workout routine you want to give your body a little while to catch up. New exercise means increased water retention in the muscles to help cushion and repair them. It can cause a stall or even a slight gain on the scale but it's just masking the fat loss. It should even out after a few weeks.
  • jenghig
    Options
    I did increase my workout significantly so maybe that's it. I started at 3-4 miles per day and lifting 3 times a week. Now I walk close 5.5-6.5 miles a day and lift 4 times a week.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

May help. Sometimes I go a month w/o losing anything. Usually if it's more than 4 weeks I'll then take a week off and eat maintenance, then start again, and it drops again.
  • jenghig
    Options
    That's exactly what I did and it worked.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Just dont tell yourself its a plateau. This is a myth...