Yogurt- suggestions

Options
Can anyone recommend a brand of yogurt that does NOT contain sucralose or aspartame? I have been working really hard over the last few months to overcome a very unhealthy 'addiction' to aspartame (diet sodas, etc) and I've felt a million times better since doing so- I don't want to introduce it back into my diet through yogurt!! I'd much rather deal with the natural sugars than processed :) Thanks!

Replies

• advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why not buy plain yogurt and mix in your own fruit + sweetener? That's what I do.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making it yourself? It is quite easy and there are a lot of recipes on the internet. You have total control over what is, or is not added.
  • DVWeil
    DVWeil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making it yourself? It is quite easy and there are a lot of recipes on the internet. You have total control over what is, or is not added.

I hadn't even thought of that- never heard of making your own yogurt! I will give that a look, thanks!
  • Jamiempang
    Jamiempang Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would get a regular greek yogurt and add your own fruit and berries to it. It is a much healthier option. If you prefer a blended yogurt, blend it all together first. If you like "fruit on the bottom" you can always do a quick microwave of them to soften it up and blend it and pour over top. Try a few different ones and see what works for your taste buds.
  • linds_1395
    linds_1395 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to give up diet soda as well. It's only been a couple of days and water just tastes soooo much better now! Haha. I eat Greek yogurt with fruit, it's really tasty and filling. You have to check the ingredients though because some still have sucralose. I eat Chobani.
  • DVWeil
    DVWeil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What about Stevia, is that a healthier option than sucralose? I see that Activia has a product that uses Stevia instead, so that may be an option...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    +! to all the "get plain yogurt" idea. If you want portable flavored yogurt, just get some of those 1-cup containers with a tight snap-on lid, or one of the insulated food containers if you want to be fancy. (I've made my own in the past, too - it is easy.)

Different people prefer different things, but I like to buy plain non-fat Greek yogurt in a large tub. I put it in my oatmeal (with mixed berries & a spoonful of all-fruit spread for extra sweetening), use it to make savory 'creamy' salad dressings, use it in baking sometimes, eat it with fruit & PB2 peanut-butter powder for a protein-y snack, and more. I've seen, but haven't tried, recipes where you use it to adhere a panko or bread-crumb coating to something you're "oven frying", or make a sauce to apply before roasting a vegetable like cauliflower. If you want a result more like a commercial blended yogurt, consider all-fruit spread as a sweetening.

Plain yogurt is delicious & versatile.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt options: (1) honey and sliced almonds, (2) frozen blueberries slightly defrosted in the fridge, (3) a smashed banana, (4) applesauce, (5) peanut butter, (6) canned pineapple, (7) coconut flakes, (8) strawberry jelly.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get plain yoghurt, add whatever you like: fruit, honey, nuts, jam, cereal
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    DVWeil wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a brand of yogurt that does NOT contain sucralose or aspartame? I have been working really hard over the last few months to overcome a very unhealthy 'addiction' to aspartame (diet sodas, etc) and I've felt a million times better since doing so- I don't want to introduce it back into my diet through yogurt!! I'd much rather deal with the natural sugars than processed :) Thanks!

Cabot and Stonyfield do not use artificial sweeteners. Where I live they come in full lines - regular, Greek, fat free to full fat, 6 ounces to 32 ounces.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Try plain Skyr, Icelandic yoghurt. Really good, thick, high protein.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Dead easy to make your own for about $1.50/litre and I think is better than shop yogurt.
    Ingredients-
    1 x litre of UHT full cream milk
    4 x tablespoons of full fat milk powder
    1 x pinch of yogurt culture

Put all into a plastic container and hand whisk until mixed.
    Put lid on container and keep at 35 to 45 degrees Celsius (95 to 115 F) for 8 to 12 hours (overnight)
    .....Voilà! thick and smooth great tasting Greek yogurt.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Try plain Skyr, Icelandic yoghurt. Really good, thick, high protein.

if I could find this stuff in a store I would bathe in it. it is the stuff of legends. the nectar of the gods. the knees of the bee. the pajamas of the cat. it is the bomb-diggity.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    DVWeil wrote: »
    What about Stevia, is that a healthier option than sucralose? I see that Activia has a product that uses Stevia instead, so that may be an option...

Why do you think sucralose is "unhealthy"?

Anyway, I like yogurt that doesn't have added AS because of taste - not imagined health concerns - so I do agree with you that these should be searched out for.

In the US, try Noosa, Stonyfield, Organic Nancy, Organic Meadow, Pavel, Wallaby, Siggi Skyr, Smari, Fage.... lots of yogurts without added AS.

In Europe? Sooooo many choices.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am going to suggest something totally nuts, and something that has worked for me. Stop Eating Sweet Yogurt and Enjoy it as a Savory treat. I learned about this after my spouse was diagnosed diabetic and we tried to cut sugar.
    We no longer eat Yogurt sweet, but rather we make dressings and sauces. we still get all the benefits of probiotics, without all of the sugar and mystery ingredients.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought sweetened yoghurt for years, the artifically sweetened ones have a nasty aftertaste to me, and the sweet ones are just too sweet and not nice (and I have a sweet tooth).
    If I want fruity yoghurt, I add the fruit (fresh or frozen) myself. And if I want it sweeter, I add a little drizzle of honey for taste and sweetness and only a few more calories.
    Like the poster above, I also use it in savoury dressings, and as a topping for curries or lentil dishes - delicious!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am going to suggest something totally nuts, and something that has worked for me. Stop Eating Sweet Yogurt and Enjoy it as a Savory treat. I learned about this after my spouse was diagnosed diabetic and we tried to cut sugar.
    We no longer eat Yogurt sweet, but rather we make dressings and sauces. we still get all the benefits of probiotics, without all of the sugar and mystery ingredients.

I still like mine sweet sometimes, but I'm totally in agreement with this. It makes a great substitute for sour cream on baked potatoes, good dressing and dips, and even sandwich spreads. I also use plain Greek yogurt in place of mayo for making chicken salad since I don't really like mayo anyway. The best part: you get more yogurt per serving with 32oz plain Greek yogurt containers than you do the premixed individual containers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't stand apartame and sucralose but I'm fine with Stevia.

I eat Fage, Oikos (mostly triple zero or the crunch ones if I want a bit of nuts), Chobani occasionally, love siggi's too. I buy a mix of flavored and plain, typically.

My treat is Oh My Yog! from Stonyfield when it's on sale. Seriously love that stuff (and La Petite Creme but my store stopped carrying it, sadly).
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Stevia is kind of like cilantro, some people like it, some think it tastes bad. So if you haven't tried it do that before buying a large container.

I'm one of stevia tastes bad people. Aspartame too.
  • B00kw0rm09
    B00kw0rm09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I adore Siggi's vanilla yogurt! 9g sugar, 14g protein, 100 calories. Ingredients are pasteurized skim milk, organic agave nectar, Madagascar bourbon vanilla, and live active cultures.