Yogurt- suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try plain Skyr, Icelandic yoghurt. Really good, thick, high protein.

I've just recently bought Siggi yogurt for the first time and I have officially turned to it now. It is wonderful, and much lower in sugar than many of the other brands I was considering. No sucralose, no aspartame... I personally prefer the whole milk option, but they have a 2% option too. My favorite flavor is the strawberry and rhubarb.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I haven't bought sweetened yoghurt for years, the artifically sweetened ones have a nasty aftertaste to me, and the sweet ones are just too sweet and not nice (and I have a sweet tooth).
    If I want fruity yoghurt, I add the fruit (fresh or frozen) myself. And if I want it sweeter, I add a little drizzle of honey for taste and sweetness and only a few more calories.
    Like the poster above, I also use it in savoury dressings, and as a topping for curries or lentil dishes - delicious!

Better to add fruit than honey for sweetness-comes with extra nutrients and metabolize more slowly.
    Savory fav is Tzatziki home made of course
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making it yourself? It is quite easy and there are a lot of recipes on the internet. You have total control over what is, or is not added.

I use Easiyo, tastes great and very straightforward to make. It's from New Zealand, and widely available in the UK, not sure if you can get it in other countries.

• 6pkdreamer
    Options
    Lydilod wrote: »
    Have you tried making it yourself? It is quite easy and there are a lot of recipes on the internet. You have total control over what is, or is not added.

I use Easiyo, tastes great and very straightforward to make. It's from New Zealand, and widely available in the UK, not sure if you can get it in other countries.

Was using Easiyo and similar. Was OK but a bit grainy and only 1/2 to 2/3 the price of shop yogurt. Then my wife did a cheese making course that covered yogurt also. Most of Easiyo is milk power with a tiny bit of culture. The yogurt we make now is cheaper and way superior. Easiyo is a good ready available in Australia anyway and is a good half way point. And you can have a few packets at home to make on demand when needed so less wastage.
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat Siggi's whole milk yogurt. Only 8g sugar (5g fat, 10g protein). So rich and filling! Had the fig and lemon zest flavor today.
  • karlazimmers2008
    karlazimmers2008 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try NF Zoi Greek plain
  • 6pkdreamer
    Options
    Skyr (Icelandic) yogurt is actually made with rennet and is more like a soft cheese than a yogurt. similiar to Skyr is Labneh made from yogurt which is then strain to remove more whey. Labneh can be made balls and rolled in Dukar (herbs) a must try!
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I swear by Fage 2%. For me, I love Greek yogurt but I also love that it gives me 20g of protein per 6oz container. I usually eat it either before I hop on my treadmill or after. It's great for the days that I don't intake enough protein. They also have fruit ones, but I tend to stay away from those as they have more sugar than I care to eat.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    khearron26 wrote: »
    Try plain Skyr, Icelandic yoghurt. Really good, thick, high protein.

I've just recently bought Siggi yogurt for the first time and I have officially turned to it now. It is wonderful, and much lower in sugar than many of the other brands I was considering. No sucralose, no aspartame... I personally prefer the whole milk option, but they have a 2% option too. My favorite flavor is the strawberry and rhubarb.

Ughhh so much this^^^^ I never knew how good yogurt could be until I tried Siggi's Icelandic style skyr and the strawberry rhubarb is the truth. I'm eating one now actually.
  • ssakcik
    ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who absolutely love Skyr! It's great with frozen raspberries and my own homemade granola.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    DVWeil wrote: »
    What about Stevia, is that a healthier option than sucralose? I see that Activia has a product that uses Stevia instead, so that may be an option...

Stevia is a plant, so yes it is better than artificial sweeteners. Oikos triple zero yogurt uses stevia in it. I like a couple of their flavors. Good for you for staying away from artificial sweeteners!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Skyr boat as well... I love Siggi's! My favorite flavor is the Pumpkin and Spice. :smile: