Beginning Strength Training Plan

Hello and Happy Easter to all! I'm in need of some advice.

Currently, I do cardio about 6-7 times/week (I typically walk 4-5 miles at a fast pace). I'm looking to increase my metabolism (I have gained weight, despite my exercise and healthy diet). I'm looking for a strength training regime for beginners. In my mind, I'm picturing alternating days between arms and abs- however, I would try anything. I just don't know where to start! My goal is about 30 minutes of strength training/day, combined with 2 miles of cardio. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• gerfbrady
    gerfbrady Posts: 14 Member
    Im very interested in this too. Any beginner lifting programs that i should look at?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Weights should be priority, followed by HIIT cardio once or twice a week. Full body workout, 30 mins ea.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited March 2016
    I haven't heard if any way to increase your metabolism. You said you have a "healthy diet" but does that mean your tracking your calories? Because maintaining or losing weight are all about how many calories you eat not what you eat.

As for strength training what equipment do you have? I'd start by looking at bodybuilding.com they have tons of workout programs. Look for a full body program.
  • wingwmn
    wingwmn Posts: 5 Member
    I'm actually studying to be a dietitian, so I'm very comfortable with what I'm eating! I've cut out virtually all junk food and track my calories, always under my target goal. I have 10 lb weights available!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    You may need to add resistance to gain strength. Typically beginner strength programs progressively add weights or other resistance every week.

One program that is very effective is SL5x5. It is a compound barbell lifting program that has you do 5 sets of 5 reps three times a week. You can notice strength gains fast on this program. This is laid out for you in a free app.

You can also find many bodyweight programs (i.e., Nerd Fitness and YAYOG) that add resistance through progressive movements like single-leg/arm or change of levels like higher step-ups or handstand push-ups.

Suspension trainers (TRX) can also help you gain strength.

ETA:

Weigh your healthy foods to make sure you are meeting your calorie goal. You may be gaining weight (perhaps muscle) on a calorie surplus but, as others will chime in, loss (fat and muscle) occurs in a deficit.

And, as mentioned above, full body or compound moves are best because they work multiple muscles (including "abs and arms") in less time.

Running is great for legs but, for me, I would not neglect full-body work (includes legs, core, arms...). One move that has helped my running is barbell hip thrusts. It has helped my form as well as helped me to engage the glutes (part of the core) to do the work resulting in less fatigue (I am not a distance runner--usually less than 4-mile runs).
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I'm sorry, but I don't recommend a beginner doing a 5x5 program. If you need suggestions, feel free to message me.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I don't recommend a beginner doing a 5x5 program. If you need suggestions, feel free to message me.

It is a beginner program. I am a 55 yo female. No problem with this program. The program starts with the bar. In my case, I started with the female 35# bar. Some have started with Dumbbells. As long as you follow the program as prescribed, you can achieve your beginner strength goals.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »

Just no. SL5x5 is designed specifically FOR beginner lifters.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    SL 5x5. You start at a low weight and progressively increase the weight bit by bit. It is designed to putting on the most amount of strength and muscle in the shortest amount of time for the novice - this is because only a novice can keep increasing the weight session to session, meanwhile an intermediate increases the weight weekly, and the advanced increases the weight even slower than that (5/3/1 or GZCL is monthly).

Read this to give you a good idea of what you should expect.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Another person recommending strong lifts 5x5
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    wingwmn wrote: »
    I'm actually studying to be a dietitian, so I'm very comfortable with what I'm eating! I've cut out virtually all junk food and track my calories, always under my target goal. I have 10 lb weights available!

Oh, well since you are studying to be a dietitian you already know that the calories you are taking in needs to be tightened up. Measure and weigh and account for everything. A calorie surplus of "healthy food" can still cause weight gain.

How much weight are you trying to lose?

Alternating days of abs and arms sounds awful (that being your full lifting routine). Look at stronglifts. Don't be afraid of lifting. Don't make up your own program. Leave it to the experts. Good luck!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Uh everyone recommending Stronglifts without paying attention to what OP actually has available....

OP strong lifts is a fine program but you really need a barbell to do it. The exercises can be adapted to use dumbbells but 10 pounds will most likely be too light. If you want you can invest in a barbbell and rack/bench or get a gym membership with these things, otherwise I would find a different program.

A few people have mentioned some body weight programs which would probably be best for you given you only have 10 pound dumbbells. Another option would be find a dumbbell program but even with that you might have to invest in some more dumbbells.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    If you don't want to join a gym, then bodyweight training is going to be the way to go. You Are Your Own Gym and Nerd Fitness are good guides. If you join a gym, everyone has recommended Stronglifts. I've also heard good things about New Rules of Lifting For Women, but I'm not sure if it's a beginner program or not. Good luck!

Also, if you don't want to join a gym, look into investing in a suspension trainer.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    gerfbrady wrote: »
    Im very interested in this too. Any beginner lifting programs that i should look at?

For the ladies, check out Thinner Leaner Stronger. For the guys, check out Bigger Leaner Stronger. Highly recommended (I'm starting to feel like a broken record on here!). But I recommend it because its been great for me.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Another vote for SL5x5 but you will need to join a gym. 10lb dumbbells are fine for adding a little weight to a bodyweight program but as you said you wanted to start a strength training program you will need to add progressive weight.

As others have said - you need to weigh and accurately log your foods as calorie surplus is calorie surplus regardless of whether it comes from chocolate or vegetables and it will cause you to gain weight!

Also, if you are studying to be a dietician then I suggest you do a proper literature search regards increasing metabolism!
  • heatherharget
    heatherharget Posts: 21 Member
    I joined the bodybuilding site.. lots of programs for women and beginners as well as tons of in- between-