Rice suggestions

Options
aabdul22
aabdul22 Posts: 1 Member
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out on this. So I usually eat brown rice/jasmine rice with chicken and vegetables. My mom always says that the rice is dry and my whole meal is basically dry, and it is true. How can I make rice that includes other ingredients that will make it moist? I do try to stay away from added sodium or fats, since I get most of my fats from other foods. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out!
Thanks!

Replies

• overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Do you add anything to the water when you cook the rice?
    I will sometimes boil brown rice with a cup of chicken stock added in for flavor. I also sometimes add a tbsp. of olive oil or unsalted butter to the water.
    Try taking it off the heat 2-3 min before it is done and let it set on the counter. Overcooked rice is really dry.
    Another option, take the rice off the heat 5 min before it is done and add in fresh or frozen veggies. Stir gently and recover. Place back on the heat for the last few min.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You could just make something with sauce to go on top of it like beef and brokoli, chicken and brocoli, terayaky chicken, or my favorite morisqueta wich warm salsa with beans and rice and chees its really good its really good
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Try some sort of fat in the rice? Oil, butter, fat from cooking meat or the chicken? Or sauce.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The instruction I have for cooking brown rice say you can use broth for more flavor. Maybe that would help.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes to cooking it w broth, can you also add onions and tomatoes when you cook it? Adds good flavor and they both have water in them.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yes, do a topping for the rice... most indian recipes are actually very moist, and meant to be served on/with rice. I have a good chicken curry recipe if you are interested.

Alternatively, you can put rice in soup in place of noodles...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I only use rice in meals that have some kind of sauce.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Stir in some salsa.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Does the chicken or veggies have sauce? Usually for flavour, you can add broth or seasonings to your rice
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Cook the rice till the liquid in the pan has become quite thick. Then cover and turn off the heat. Let steam to finish. Moist, delish rice. Or get a pressure cooker. Perfect rice every time...unless you don't time it right. :) If you use a pressure cooker (if you've never used one before) get a new one. They can be dangerous if you don't know how to check the seals/operate them safely...but they really do make awesome rice really fast. All this talking about rice now has me plotting a batch of rice pudding with raisins and cinnamon. :) Thanks for the inspiration and hope that helped.
  • JenRainbow1
    JenRainbow1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to struggled with brown rice until recently.
    Rice is only dry if you're not cooking it correctly. I follow the packet and only buy easy cook rice. Mine says 75g per person and 500ml of water. Then 30minutes in the microwave (I have a cheap microwave rice cooker/steamer which I cook my rice in). Or if boiling it's 400ml of water, boil, cover and simmer for 28-30 minutes.
    Jamie Oliver also shows you how to cook white rice easily.
    The veg don't take long to cook.

I usually make a stir fry. I cook the rice and then stir fry meat and veg.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the tips people are sharing. You can also add can tomatoes or rotel tomatoes, onion celery, bell pepper and cajun seasoning for some flavor. Start with sauting the onion, celery and peppers. Add the rice and stir until rice is well combined then add the tomatoes measuring the liquid from the can as part of your water or broth.

Here is a tip for dry rice. Put it in the refrigerator and make fried rice the next day. You will add veggies, egg and soy sauce that will put moisture back in. My family make breakfast or yellow rice. Basically it is just egg and rice.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/what-to-do-with-leftover-rice.html

Or you can add leftover rice to broth or soup. Some culture eat rice for breakfast congee is what they call it.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I forgot about Furikake seasoning! This was in my in box this morning: mypinterventures.com/homemade-furikake/

You sprinkle it on warm rice to add flavor. I haven't made the homemade version I bought mine at an Asian Grocery.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Seriously try the Arroz congri recipe on skinnytaste.com. it will change your life.
  • ajhwbh
    ajhwbh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a $20.00 rice cooker from walmart. Perfect rice every time.
  • 891996Aa
    891996Aa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Butter helps greatly. You just need tobuse like a table spoon for a whole 1 or 2 cups of uncooked rice and that should do the trick for fluffy rice. As far as flavor you should do chicken stock preferably one you have made so you actually know the amlunt of sodium this contains. If not i find it that sometimes diluting some of the store bought chicken stock cuts down plenty of sodium intake. Use plenty of spices here and get creative. I like to sautée ginger and garlic past with some veggies and then add my rice but i go easy and i mean extremely easy on oil and butter
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @aabdul22

I tagged you in my brown rice recipe thread. Making brown rice on the stovetop does not really work well. The bottom cooks too much and the top doesn't cook enough. Adding sautéed onions and peppers gives it more moisture and a nice flavor too. Sauté, then add to rice and cook.