Daily weigher - gained 3 pounds???

Options
I've somehow gained 3 pounds overnight. How is that possible? I know our weight can fluctuate but still 3 pounds is a lot and it doesn't seem to be going back down. Has anyone experienced this before and how long can it last? I did go over my calories 2 days ago by around 400 calories but I was still eating at maintenance so shouldn't have had a gain... I don't understand and feel a bit crappy at the moment :/ will I ever get this weight off?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've seen much bigger fluctuations in much less time. If you are going to weigh every day, use something like trendweight.com to help level out the fluctuations.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Take pleasure in persevering. That is what separates those who keep pushing forward from those who throw in the towel. I have gone up and down as much as 5 lbs. It can be because of sodium in a meal that has you retaining water, or a meal that had fiber that you are still processing. Don't stress. :-)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
    Once I saw someone that had high salt chips and alcohol the night before.
    (still kept under calories).
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I've had 6lb over night once before TOTM. Water weight. Whooshed back out over a couple of days. I can fluctuate 3lb from morning to evening based on stomach contents alone. The general direction of travel is what matters.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 5 - 6 lbs after eating chinese due to the sodium. If you're weighing daily then expect these types of fluctuations due to water retention, sodium intake, totm, hormonal changes etc
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I've had 6lb over night once before TOTM. Water weight. Whooshed back out over a couple of days. I can fluctuate 3lb from morning to evening based on stomach contents alone. The general direction of travel is what matters.

Yep I hate TOM. He only visits a couple of times a year....and I hope he loses my address entirely SOON.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've had a 5lb weight increase then it would drop 6+ lbs a week later.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've seen much bigger fluctuations in much less time. If you are going to weigh every day, use something like trendweight.com to help level out the fluctuations.

Must have a WiFi Scale in order to use that app... :-(
  • lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    CollieFit wrote: »

Yep I hate TOM. He only visits a couple of times a year....and I hope he loses my address entirely SOON.

That TOTM thing, I totally agree it can wreak havoc with your weight loss. I retain water during that time like crazy. And being in perimenopause just adds the fun of unpredictability. So three pounds is perfectly plausible. I am a daily weight logger too so I have learned what makes me fluctuate. Don't be stressed over the gain, it is the overall trend that matters.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of weighing yourself daily not having to worry about normal day-to-day fluctuations?
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Debbjones wrote: »

Or a fitbit synced to MFP. I enter my weight on MFP and it automatically shows up in Trendweight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    I've somehow gained 3 pounds overnight. How is that possible? I know our weight can fluctuate but still 3 pounds is a lot and it doesn't seem to be going back down. Has anyone experienced this before and how long can it last? I did go over my calories 2 days ago by around 400 calories but I was still eating at maintenance so shouldn't have had a gain... I don't understand and feel a bit crappy at the moment :/ will I ever get this weight off?

If a weight gain of 3 pounds is going to bother you, stop weighing daily. I have seen as much as a 6 pound increase, pretty much all of it was water weight. There is nothing unusual about those sorts of weight variations from day to day. It is water weight, but it will still take several days to go away. Drink lots of water, that will help.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was up 2lbs this morning, higher sodium than usual yesterday. It'll be gone by tomorrow... hopefully.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm up 1.5 pounds because bulking without lifting. I'm doing something wrong I think!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It could be anything: sodium, TOM, ovulation (I hold water during ovulation), muscles holding water, etc. I doubt it's fat though. Trendweight is really helpful, but if you're logging your weight in MFP or Fitbit they both will show you a graph of how you're losing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »

Or a fitbit synced to MFP. I enter my weight on MFP and it automatically shows up in Trendweight.

Yes, that is how mine works too. MFP sends to Fitbit, Fitbit sends to Trendweight.
  • AmyMahan2016
    AmyMahan2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel...I put on 10lbs. In 2 day (4 lbs. Saturday &6 lbs.today) ....I weight daily on the wii...water weight is what everyone is telling me
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'd gained 6 lbs overnight from eating at a buffet the day before. I pigged out to the max! Took 2 days to lose all and more! It's 1 step back and 2 steps forward.

I was at my lowest weight this morning, but still bingeing as I'm writing this. I don't care if the scale shows 10 lbs gained tomorrow morning. I have oodle of willpower and opportunities for workout!! :) hehehe

So, don't stress!
  • Tashlovesfood
    Tashlovesfood Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I am very close to TOTM so it could be that but also I had a meal out on Saturday ( burger with rice) and although the calories were on their website and fit my macros I worried that it could have done the damage. It's so difficult when you have to eat out!! How long does it take for water weight to go away? Xxx
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options

You can use a free fitbit account, you don't need a fitbit, and sync it to trendweight. no scales or devices needed. :)