Coconut Oil

Options
2»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this too. I bought some organic pure CO and I have used it occasionally to cook with BUT for the past 3 years I have relied solely on FryLite so bringing real fat back into my diet is against everything I have taught myself to do. That said, FryLite is probably full of chemicals and is processes within an inch of it's life so I don't know what is the better option!

Coconut oil is definitely healthier than that frylite stuff..

Coconut oil is definitely healthier than Frylite (which appears to be sunflower oil)?
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2
    vs
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/572/2
    ?
    The coconut oil is mostly saturated fat, while sunflower oil is mostly mono or poly unsaturated fat based on the oleilic content. Unless Frylite is a partially hydrogenated cooking oil, I'd say it is probably healthier.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    mskmadd wrote: »
    artery clogging so i don't use in coffee or cooking

@mskmadd welcome to MFP forums. Glad to read about your earlier successes. Sorry to hear about your health issues that currently remain.

I too once had a false concept about coconut oil being unhealthy and I needed meds due to my old eating lifestyle. From the forums I was able to learn I could manage pain, acid reflux, blood pressure and reduce my risk of heart disease by moving to a new eating lifestyle in my case to live Rx med free.

Below is an article that covers some of my new eating lifestyle of the past 1.5 years that has in my case enabled better health without the need for Rx meds. This eating lifestyle however may be totally wrong in your case but of interest to others.

At the age of 63 I came to realize I was eating in a way that was rushing me in the direction of a premature death. Now at the age of 65 my general health and all my lab results are better than at the age of 45.

Best of success as you work to find the eating lifestyle that solves more and more of your health related issues you mentioned above.

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-5-artery-clogging-foods-that-can-save-your-life/

• Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I use it on my skin, haven't cooked with it yet though.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It makes great popcorn!

Other than that it's just another calorie-dense oil to be used incredibly sparingly.
  • besdais
    besdais Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses - and the jury STILL seems to be out! I am going to keep using it in my coffee for awhile and see if I notice a difference. I love the taste of it anyway, but I don't like spending my calories on it. Interesting to hear all the different thoughts on the subject, though!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

@mskmadd welcome to MFP forums. Glad to read about your earlier successes. Sorry to hear about your health issues that currently remain.

I too once had a false concept about coconut oil being unhealthy and I needed meds due to my old eating lifestyle. From the forums I was able to learn I could manage pain, acid reflux, blood pressure and reduce my risk of heart disease by moving to a new eating lifestyle in my case to live Rx med free.

Below is an article that covers some of my new eating lifestyle of the past 1.5 years that has in my case enabled better health without the need for Rx meds. This eating lifestyle however may be totally wrong in your case but of interest to others.

At the age of 63 I came to realize I was eating in a way that was rushing me in the direction of a premature death. Now at the age of 65 my general health and all my lab results are better than at the age of 45.

Best of success as you work to find the eating lifestyle that solves more and more of your health related issues you mentioned above.

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-5-artery-clogging-foods-that-can-save-your-life/

You use to be correct. Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat. Evidence is pretty good that if you're using it to replace poly and mono unsaturated fats, you're increasing CVD risk.
  • brinkbodin
    brinkbodin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It helps me with my chronic heartburn. When I eat it every day, after about two weeks, heartburn disappears like it never existed. When I stop eating coconut oil, heartburn returns. Coincidence? Don't know. Don't care. I just do what works.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You may want to try using coconut milk (the kind in the can) in your coffee since you like the taste. It would have fewer calories and add a creamy consistency. I don't drink coffee but I have friends who love to add it to theirs. Just be sure to shake it really well first. I don't recommend the coconut milk in the carton (So Delicious brand, for example). All the ones I've tried taste how sunscreen smells.
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking and lotion. I use the Carrington Farm Flouverless liquid kind because it's just more convenient. I love it. I don't use it in smoothies per se , but when cooking/ baking meat that's all I use
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It sounds unlikely, I know, but I've discovered that if I swish coconut oil back and forth around a toothache, it relieves the pain. I usually swallow the oil afterwards, but I have the option of spitting it out, too. I also use coconut oil as a prewash treatment to my hair.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

You use to be correct. Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat. Evidence is pretty good that if you're using it to replace poly and mono unsaturated fats, you're increasing CVD risk.

@senecarr we know you are bluffing because you could not find any valid data to back up your mistaken position. :)

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    brinkbodin wrote: »
    It helps me with my chronic heartburn. When I eat it every day, after about two weeks, heartburn disappears like it never existed. When I stop eating coconut oil, heartburn returns. Coincidence? Don't know. Don't care. I just do what works.

@brinkbodin below is one link that supports your personal experience. Below it is just pro and con links.

earthclinic.com/acid-reflux/coconut-oil.html

https://google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=coconut+oil+for+heartburn
  • ssmetter
    ssmetter Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Look up oil pulling, or swishing
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    1913900_477419992445508_5674945661517721722_n.png.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=5c91f0b127368da32bdb76565090ce7d&oe=574B35BA
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    1913900_477419992445508_5674945661517721722_n.png.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=5c91f0b127368da32bdb76565090ce7d&oe=574B35BA

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!