How to hit protein goal?!

Options
Hi guys, I'm semi new to this

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to give us any other stats or background....

Eat more meat. If you're going over your calorie goal to get it, eat more lean meat. Also greek yogurt, cottage cheese.
  • bysiobhan
    bysiobhan Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry I thought I wrote more than that :o Obviously emojis don't work here :( I am a vegetarian and never seem to be able to eat enough protein and constantly eat more carbs. It's not that I crave them or binge on them, it's just that I eat more fruits and vegetables than any other food. I'm currently tryin for a macro split of 50p/30f/20c, in order to lose weight and gain lean muscle. I am 163cm and 60kg. Thanks o:)
  • sammieyem
    sammieyem Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    that's easy! Protein shakes and quest bars will be your best friend.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Set macros 15c/20p/65f. :)
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Egg whites, canned tuna, protein shakes, greek yogurt, and chicken are all high protein, low carb ingredients that I use almost daily.

Protein powder is by far the cheapest option when considering how long it will last you.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    everyday consistency is the key to it
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The Oikos Greek yogurt Triple Zeros are da bomb, delicious and 15 grams of protein. I like the chocolate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bysiobhan wrote: »
    I'm sorry I thought I wrote more than that :o Obviously emojis don't work here :( I am a vegetarian and never seem to be able to eat enough protein and constantly eat more carbs. It's not that I crave them or binge on them, it's just that I eat more fruits and vegetables than any other food. I'm currently tryin for a macro split of 50p/30f/20c, in order to lose weight and gain lean muscle. I am 163cm and 60kg. Thanks o:)

There's no reason to go that high on protein.

You are recomping, so eating close to maintenance or at a 250 or so deficit, ideally. The range for protein even for someone doing that is typically around .8 g/lb of healthy body weight. So take your weight and it's about 105 g. Even if you go up to 1 g/lb it's around 130 g. That's 520 calories -- if you are eating close to maintenance or even at about a 1 lb deficit (high for your goals) that's going to be more like 25-30% of calories.

Seems a lot more doable for a vegetarian.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    bysiobhan wrote: »

There's no reason to go that high on protein.

You are recomping, so eating close to maintenance or at a 250 or so deficit, ideally. The range for protein even for someone doing that is typically around .8 g/lb of healthy body weight. So take your weight and it's about 105 g. Even if you go up to 1 g/lb it's around 130 g. That's 520 calories -- if you are eating close to maintenance or even at about a 1 lb deficit (high for your goals) that's going to be more like 25-30% of calories.

Seems a lot more doable for a vegetarian.

^^This. You don't get extra credit for eating more grams of protein than your body is going to use, just because it means you're hitting some arbitrary percentage-breakdown. And you won't build muscle because you're eating a certain amount of protein -- you also need to be doing strength training that progressively challenges your muscles (generally, this means heavy lifting), allowing adequate rest between training sessions so your body can repair and (hopefully) add mass to your muscles in response those challenges, and eating a calorie surplus, maintenance, or small deficit (with decreasing results to be expected as you move from surplus to maintenance to small deficit -- and if you're already have a low BF%, it's extremely unlikely you will manage to build muscle at even a small deficit).

And practically speaking, getting 50% of your calories from protein as a vegetarian would require extremely restricted eating, as there are relatively few vegetarian foods that derive 50% of their calories from protein. Not even skim milk or whole eggs would qualify. You would have to get well over half of your calories from a fairly short list of foods, such as egg whites, nonfat greek yogurt, seitan, some green vegetables, nutritional yeast, plain whey protein, plain partially defatted peanut flour (maybe PB2 would work as well; I don't have any in the house, so I'm not sure how much sugar is added to throw off the macros)...

I eat all of the things on that list, but I don't think I could stand eating as much of them (and, more to the point, as little of everything else) as would be required to hit 50% protein.