third shift worker

Options
I am pharmacy tech who works third shift (7 days on and 7 days off). Ever since I started working this shift (going on two years) I feel like my health is declining and I have no motivation to go to the gym and work out. My goal is to lost 20-30 lbs so I am able to feel comfortable when it comes time when I get pregnant. (I'm 28 yrs old)

Any advice?

Replies

• shawnamomma74
    shawnamomma74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I worked third shift for 15 years and I just got bigger and bigger. It is hard on your body. My advice is get on another shift as soon as you can. In the mean time, don't eat junk when you come home, before you go to bed. I think that was my problem. I'd want to eat and I should have just gone to sleep. Stay away from pop. If you need the caffeine have some green tea. Good luck!
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    There is an official night shift thread, good peeps, and lots of support. I work nights as well, but I have the ability to work out at least three days a week at work, so I don't have any suggestions, but others on the thread might. Count your calories... stick to a deficit and you will see results.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1171754/the-official-nightshift-thread#latest

• Bettina82
    Bettina82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I worked night shift for 11 years So I know where you are... I really lacked self control at 3 am!
    After I had my daughter 4 years ago I started watching what I put into my body. I wanted to feel good and get healthy. It helped me to get into a routine on my days off. Is there any way you could switch shifts? I started days in December and I am a different person! I don't know how I did nights for 11 years :D good luck and you can do it!
  • marielm87
    marielm87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been in night shift for the last four years. I work three 12 hour shift. I could use some motivation and help since I'm starting up again for the millionth time.
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    Options
    I have worked nites for the majority of the last 20 years. I don't eat hardly anything from work. I eat dinner before coming in and maybe sometimes will get a snack, but I just don't get hungry during work hours. I eat when I get home from work and workout 30-45 min after, then shower and sleep. Everyone is different, just been the way I am forever it seems.