Beginner advice

Options
KBH90
KBH90 Posts: 11 Member
I'm going to join the gym tomorrow but I'm not sure what equipment I should be using. I am female and weigh 17 stone and 4lbs. It's disgusting I know but I want to change and get healthy.

I know cardio is the best thing but am I able to go into the weight training area and use those machines? I was thinking half an hour on cardio and half an our on the weight training but I have no idea if I'd look silly or out of place doing that.

Any recommendations on where to start?

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Definitely incorporate weight training. Everyone starts somewhere. No need to feel silly. Bodybuilding.com has some good intro weight training programs. I think your 30 min to 30 min sounds fine, but adjust depending on your fitness. Good luck!
  • josephanthony88
    josephanthony88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't worry what people may say, haters gonna hate , and when your looking the way you want too , someone somewhere, will still try to hate.
  • josephanthony88
    josephanthony88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BTW how much is 17 stones ?
  • KBH90
    Options
    Thanks!

230 lbs / 107.955 kg
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Usually when you join a gym, the membership comes with time with a trainer to show you how to use all the equipment. I would take advantage of that if you've never been to a gym before.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes to the gym to get their workout on, all shapes and sizes.
    Disregard what anyone says or thinks and get your workout on!
    If you need help with any of the machines, don't be afraid to ask someone for help. It is better to ask so you don't hurt yourself.
    Good for you!
    ;-)
  • MichaelRpal
    MichaelRpal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best thing is whatever gets you moving (motivated). Weight training can get you moving and build muscle, which some would strongly recommend over cardio (bigger muscles can help burn a few more calories just by their very existence). But cardio's good too (especially the heavier you weigh; you can take advantage of your own body weight and get some strength training in that way); might help stretch out muscles you didn't know you had, or help get your cardiovascular system pumping -- breathlessness never helps, so a little endurance training might be helpful.

One thing to consider is which -- cardio or strength training -- to do first. Depending on what you do or how strenuously you do it, you may have less energy and/or start feeling muscle fatigue in the second half of your routine. Of course you could always change it up every day or week; AB then BA and so on.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    It might seem like your negative view of yourself ("It's disgusting I know...") is helpful in motivating you to get fit, but you are better to focus on the positives, like your drive to get to the gym and work. Time to start feeling empowered! Plus, what message does that send to someone else here above 230lbs?
  • KrystalErin0429
    KrystalErin0429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I first joined my gym, one of the fitness directors showed me how to use all the weight machines and helped me come up with a strength training routine. You should ask at your gym!
    Def incorporate strength training with cardio!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    The more lean muscle you have, the more efficiently you will burn fat. I suggest doing weight training first, then do cardio.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Plus, what message does that send to someone else here above 230lbs?

i thought the same thing...i started at 250...
  • KBH90
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I'll balance both cardio and weight training, I feel alot better going now. Induction on Tuesday!

Apologies, I didn't think about how my comment could affect other members here.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book for introducing people to lifting weights.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider is which -- cardio or strength training -- to do first. Depending on what you do or how strenuously you do it, you may have less energy and/or start feeling muscle fatigue in the second half of your routine. Of course you could always change it up every day or week; AB then BA and so on.

This is a good point. I think it's usually easier to lift first and then run/do cardio than the other way around. For me at least, cardio diminishes my lifting performance more than lifting diminishes my cardio performance, if that makes sense.

• tdeaux
    tdeaux Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book for introducing people to lifting weights.

Yes! I second this! It gives great advice on diet and exercise with no BS.

Cardio and weight training along with a healthy diet are really key.

If you're not sure how to use something, I YouTube it while I'm at the gym :) and trust me most people are not paying attention to you because they are too worried that everyone is paying attention to them