Sick of "starting over"....anyone else?

Options
Anyone else do really great for a few weeks then fall off the wagon and come back then hit repeat?
Having a very hard time staying committed and its making me depressed then that makes it even harder lol!!!
Really want this weight off! tired of being uncomfortable in my own skin.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    the best way to not have to start over is NOT TO QUIT.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yup. I did it back in October after a bad cold. By the time I felt better I was off the wagon. I started over in January and have been going strong since, just don't give up.
  • karleykelsey32
    karleykelsey32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it boils down to the fact we don't feel we deserve this for whatever reason. We need to make ourselves a priority. Today is a another day to try. :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 3 years....lol. The important thing is that you do always start over. @karleykelsey32 for me it's more on the spectrum of life kicking my *kitten*. I feel like if I worked 10 hours, took care of the toddlers, and managed to keep the house in a state where it doesn't look like it was vandalized then I've earned whatever the hell I want to eat or drink....No one ever said "I've earned myself a trip to the gym to reward me for my hard work today."lol
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I never think of it as starting over. Whenever I hit a period of my old eating habits, I just reminded myself i had a long term goal to reach and to get back to it. If it's going to be a permanent lifestyle change, be kind to yourself and remember it takes a time for the new habits to stick.

Always keep what you want in mind and take it one meal at a time. Eventually, you'll get there.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    A couple of simple tips. Don't set your weekly weight loss goal too high. If you feel deprived and like you're "on a diet", that invites those big falls. Don't try to completely overhaul your diet overnight for the same reason. If this is truly going to be a lifestyle change for you, you'll have plenty of time to tweak and make improvements. And try to lose the "all or nothing" thinking. I read in someone's blog once that this process doesn't require perfection- more like 300 days of awesomeness and 65 days of failure. Don't let one bad day cause you to think there's no point in trying the other 6 days of the week. Relax and take your time. :)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    EVERY DAY is an opportunity to start fresh...philosophy aside... it took me about 4 years for the exercise bit to truly take hold... and as I travel this road I find that life simply gets in the way of our best intentions... Last June, just as I was starting to see some genuine gains in my weight training... I tore a bicep doing some home improvements... so I put that work on hold.. and am just in the past 2 weeks getting back into the lifting routine... THEN... in Sept I picked up some kind of respiratory bug that kept me off the cardio for almost 2-1/2 months... as the cliché goes it isn't how many times you get knocked down as long as you keep getting up... SO... just think of your "re-starts" as an opportunity to get it right... before long... that start point will be so far in the past you won't worry about it
  • myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the problem of starting over.. In general I am healthy during the week and not so healthy on weekends. So I spend 5 days trying to lose weight which I gain back on weekend. :D
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Instead of always trying to be "really great" how about start with being being "pretty good". Situations change, life happens and best laid plans fall apart. If you can't measure your food exactly or eat exactly what you planned or miss one workout, it is not a fail. Log, track and stay under calorie to the best of your ability in the circumstance. Pretty good works too.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    A couple of simple tips. Don't set your weekly weight loss goal too high. If you feel deprived and like you're "on a diet", that invites those big falls. Don't try to completely overhaul your diet overnight for the same reason. If this is truly going to be a lifestyle change for you, you'll have plenty of time to tweak and make improvements. And try to lose the "all or nothing" thinking. I read in someone's blog once that this process doesn't require perfection- more like 300 days of awesomeness and 65 days of failure. Don't let one bad day cause you to think there's no point in trying the other 6 days of the week. Relax and take your time. :)

~~~ NAILED IT!!! ~~~ None of us have a microchip in us (as far as I know anyway). Think about it this way---have you ever been up high on a roller coaster? Such a strong structure, even at its highest point, yet it still has just enough flexibility to allow for changing conditions. GET IT?
  • jennnco
    jennnco Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Totally relevant topic for me right now! I'm trying to view my fitness state as a journey and a process as opposed to beating myself up every time I miss step and then completely fall off the bandwagon
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    Anyone else do really great for a few weeks then fall off the wagon and come back then hit repeat?
    Having a very hard time staying committed and its making me depressed then that makes it even harder lol!!!
    Really want this weight off! tired of being uncomfortable in my own skin.

@Katie_Y89 I did the yo yo thing for 40 years and wrecked my health to the point I had to make stop it or not be able to care for myself so it makes me happy to see younger people not waiting so long. In my case I had to find a macro that stopped my cravings for carbs and that enabled me to stop eating when I got full. Before I never got mentally full long after my stomach was full.

In my case 1.5 years I stopped sugars and grains cold turkey hoping to manage my joint and muscle pain for 40 years without Rx meds. It worked for the pain in just 30 days but also my weight dropped to 200 for the first time in 22 years and I have maintained that weight for the past year eating all I want of my current macro. Basically I replaced the sugar and grains calories with calories from fats like eggs, nuts, coconut oil, cheese, Heavy Whipping Cream, etc.

Work to see if you can find a macro that stops all of your cravings. Below is a raw Google search for example of how you can research the subject. The web/social media has a lot of info on the subject but I do NOT advice getting health advice from social media. However with some effort you will be able to find some research papers on most any factor of diet. Remember we all can be different so what may be good advice for one could be deadly for another.

Best of success.
  • mascre07
    mascre07 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm constantly starting over. It really is a big downer.
  • Meg035
    Meg035 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    I never think of it as starting over. Whenever I hit a period of my old eating habits, I just reminded myself i had a long term goal to reach and to get back to it. If it's going to be a permanent lifestyle change, be kind to yourself and remember it takes a time for the new habits to stick.

Always keep what you want in mind and take it one meal at a time. Eventually, you'll get there.

Great advice! I'm in the same boat. I am disciplined for a few weeks, then life happens. It's best to just think of it as a minor blip and move on! If you want it badly enough, them you'll find a way to make it happen! Also, don't view yourself as a victim. You are in control!!!! Don't stand in your own way!
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For me personally, if I have one bad day, then make sure then next day is really good, that one bad day doesn't amount to anything in the grand scheme of things. But if I have one bad day, then let the next day go too, and the day after that, then I lose progress.

If you tell yourself that one day of bad eating won't make you gain ten pounds, try to remember that one day of good eating won't make you lose ten pounds.
  • PhillyDDT
    PhillyDDT Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif