Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Excercise Before Breakfast

Options
dickie150692
dickie150692 Posts: 15 Member
Hey guys!

This is to the peeps that have tried it. Over the years I've heard that losing weight, is a lot easier when exercising before breakfast in the morning. When I were younger and I did it, I'm sure my weight dropped off faster thinking back. I'm just curious to see if anybody else thinks that it's true or if it's a load of bull?

Feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I do my workout before eating simply because I don't like working out immediately after eating. It's personal preference and doesn't affect how fast weight loss happens.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning runner. Nothing beats getting out early in the fresh air. Best way to start your day!!

I do weights at night. And still get a great workout in.
  • nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Definitely a fan of fasted workouts
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening after dinner. I am not a morning person so exercising early ain't happening. Probably the best answer is do what works for YOU. I doubt there is a "best" method.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Weight loss still comes down to calories.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Can't do it. The few times I tried I felt like I was walking trough molasses. I became so sick I couldn't finish my workout and I didn't notice any great advantage unless weight loss by nausea is an advantage.

Having said that, I believe it's a personal preference and doesn't affect weight loss.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I do my workout before eating simply because I don't like working out immediately after eating. It's personal preference and doesn't affect how fast weight loss happens.

This.
    If I work out right after a meal, I will want to throw up.
  • renevate
    renevate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have my morning coffee but usually don't eat until about 8-9am so I'm not sure if coffee counts as "food". If I don't exercise early (before breakfast) I don't exercise at all - work, home and life gets too busy after breakfast and then I have no energy at the end of the day. I don't find it makes much impact on my weight loss, but being younger did help the weight loss. Now that my body is a bit wiser, I struggle more to lose weight. That is just how it goes.
  • mrswizz395
    mrswizz395 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find I get dizzy if I exercise before breakfast (usually cycling about to start running) any tips to stop this?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I've done both but I don't think it matters. I used to do 6am spin classes, and you really wouldn't want breakfast before those. I generally can't face food until about 10am anyway, but I don't think it matters regarding weight loss.
  • shaken2010
    shaken2010 Posts: 167 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mrswizz395 wrote: »
    I find I get dizzy if I exercise before breakfast (usually cycling about to start running) any tips to stop this?

Low blood sugar?? Don't know what you could do.
  • shaken2010
    shaken2010 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've done gym classes in the evening and worked out in the morning. I prefer mornings, its too hard to do after work
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I try working out before breakfast on my days off, but usually become hypoglycemic and have to stop until after I eat something.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I think this issue is one of the best examples of different bodies having different preferences, if it works for you, it's the right thing to do.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My preference is in the afternoon or last thing at night as it doesn't affect my sleep. I do not have the energy in the morning to work out ...I am sluggish. The earliest I can workout is prob about 7am which doesn't fit in with my work schedule.

I prefer to stick to a schedule that I can be consistent with.
  • ChiliBeans
    ChiliBeans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes a difference for weight loss, but when I do feel motivated to go to them gym in the morning - especially a boot camp class, I often feel me a champ for the rest of the day. Boot camp is an early class though, 6-7 so getting there, especially in the winter is quite the hassle and I have to rush to get to work, which means no breakfast, but I guess I'm usually not hungry after working out...but for the rest of the day I feel great.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's my experience too (although I think it's personal). I feel best when I work out in the morning.

It's also something that typically makes it easier to get the exercise in for me, although currently I'm doing some group trainings that are in the evening, so alternate.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have to put a cup of coffee in me before a workout, but other than that, I've been doing workouts before breakfast for 12 years now.