Different scales, different weights

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I started out weighing myself on my parents bathroom scale, which is about 30 years old and probably not that accurate, but I have based all my measurements on here from it. A couple of times I have got myself weighed on one of those big machines at Boots that takes your BF% as well, and measures your height. This always comes out about 4 - 5lbs heavier than the scale at my parents, which is annoying for a start, but also it measures my height as 5'4" which I know is wrong, as I have always been 5'5" and am taller than my 5'4" friends (both of them!). So I don't know if I can trust that either. Also on that I always have to weigh myself clothed as it's in the middle of the shop!

Do you weigh differently on different scales, and if so how do you decide which to trust?

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I am a scale a holic and I weigh myself of two different scales. I have my bathroom scale that I can weigh first thing in the morning, and my gym scale. I watch the trend on both of them. I know about how much my exercise clothes weigh so I know how much more the gym scale will say. The most important thing (if you are relying on scale weight to judge progress) is same time of day, same scale, and same level of clothes . . .

I am starting to realize, however, that the scale is a pretty big downer for me since it is not giving me an overall picture of my successes. I rely on measurements, pant sizes, and how much I am improving at the gym!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Pick one scale and go with it.

That said you can test a scales accuracy by grabbing a known weight (10lb dumbbell say) and weighing yourself, and see if the weight without it is a 10lb difference or not.
  • TinaBina313
    TinaBina313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To me, the most accurate scale is the ones at the doctors office. Maybe you should try weighing yourself in a different at your parents place; it could be how the ground is leveled in that room
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you have one watch, you know what time it is.
    If you have many watches you know approximately what time it is.
  • bjean5
    bjean5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had same issues with an old bathroom scale I bought several years ago. The numbers are always different from the numbers I get on my check ups which is really frustrating. Never used a home scale since then and have been going by the numbers I get at the clinic scale - they have a similar scale sort of tucked in one corner in one of the waiting rooms for anyone to use. I usually weigh myself when I have to go and pick up my meds.

The most reliable scale I've heard of is the health-o-meter balance beam scale which is very similar to the one they have at the doctor's office. The price is a bit on the high side - $ 175.00 and UP.

Best to you and good luck :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Being 4-5 lbs heavier on a scale at a store with clothes on later in the day than when you weigh yourself on the other scale makes me think your parents' scale is fine. I'm always heavier at my doctor's office because I have clothes on and have probably eaten a meal compare to first thing in the morning naked on my own.

So, pick one, use it consistently and no worries. :glasses:
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you have one watch, you know what time it is.
    If you have many watches you know approximately what time it is.

hmm I quite like this way of thinking