Slim fast?

Options
Has anyone had any success with the slim fast products?

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Honestly- the shakes taste gross to me and are kind of expensive. I have not had much experience with others but TBH I no longer use such products because I will never keep it up long term and I am looking for sustainability. Teaching myself to cook, focus on protein, and shop from the perimeter of the store have all been things to help me- and I find it to be cheaper, which is a plus for me as well :)

Sorry, I don't have more advice to share here- I recommend checking out the Food and Nutrition Message Board if you have questions for nutrition. Additionally, I like the Recipe section too- they have some good smoothie/shake recipes that are likely cheaper and more nutritious than Slim Fast shakes.

I wish you good luck with your journey!
  • Naboo325
    Naboo325 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Many moons ago I tried that, and yes they work, but at the end of the day.....once you get off the shakes, you haven't learned anything about eating healthier and nutrition and most people will gain any lost weight right back. (I did). It's an easy fix for someone looking to lose a couple of pounds, but for something significant and long term, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • misfits_shotgun
    misfits_shotgun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My late wife used it back in the mid 90s and she lost 30 lbs doing a one in the morning and one at lunch the eating portion size meal at supper. Just rennet to eat healthy food and it will stay off it worked great for her. Sorry I don't remember how long it took for her to lose it but it seem fast to me. I started going to the gym in November of last year and I was doing one slim fast drink in the morning up till last month and I have lost 22 lbs but I work out 3 days a week another 2 hours a day. As for the taste I used the powder and mixed with skim milk hope this helps
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ok great thank guys. Today is my first day trying it I've had it for breakfast and lunch today. I think I might just use it for breakfast only since I don't really eat/ remember to eat breakfast and it's quick and easy. I have the vanilla it has a ok taste but kind of chalky. But we'll see
  • Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just know that if you don't normally eat breakfast you don't have to force yourself to now. Meal time had no impact on weight loss. Just cico
  • mndimichele
    mndimichele Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the 321 plan with Slim Fast. It has been working pretty well for me. I have been doing it for 61/2 weeks now. Taking weekends off to restart my metabolism and I have already lost 14 lbs. I do a shake at breakfast. I work night shift, so my husband and I have a good meal together around 500-600 calories at lunch time. Then for dinner I have a meal bar. In between all that I eat fruit/nuts/veggies and sometimes treat myself to the Slim Fast Snacks. The real key is drinking a lot of water through out the day. Hope this helps.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was so hungry when I tried that I lasted about one day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I used it way back when. I did lose weight. HOWEVER that weight loss was temporary.

I'm fat because my portions are too big (also too much snacking). Slim Fast does not address portion control because it "replaces" regular food. I need to measure and log food that I will be eating during maintenance....not just replace them short term.
  • kwiatrtdy2
    kwiatrtdy2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used them a couple of years ago for about 3 months- following the 321 plan- and they did work wonders. The only thing I found though is that they're not that filling but still quite heavy on sugar and calories. I've switched now to supermarket own brand with less calories, which gives me a few hundred extra calories for real food. Certainly not a long term solution, as I got sick of being permanently hungry. They are really good for kick starting change and breaking bad eating habits though. Gives you a blank slate in terms of changing your diet to be more healthy.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert, but i can't imagine that the ingredients in those are very pure....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!