How to build my legs

Options
I'm having a hard time "building" my legs. I do legs 2 times a week, lifting relatively heavy (making it to 8 reps, 3rd set is a struggle). I have very skinny legs, with little to no shape. I'd like suggestions on how to make them bigger/shapely.

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in a surplus?
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
  • Allydgal
    Allydgal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad I was told to stick to my macros, which I'm struggling to do AND eat enough per day... so let's go with No lol
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Allydgal wrote: »
    @TavistockToad I was told to stick to my macros, which I'm struggling to do AND eat enough per day... so let's go with No lol

Eat to your goal first, then worry about the macros. No surplus, no muscles!

Pre logging might help?

Presumably you're already doing the full fat dairy, nut butter, avocado, bagels, pizza?
  • Allydgal
    Options
    LOL cutting things like bagels and pizza except for one day a week. If I am going to eat dairy it'll be full fat yes.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Allydgal wrote: »
    LOL cutting things like bagels and pizza except for one day a week. If I am going to eat dairy it'll be full fat yes.

Why if you're not hitting your calorie goal?
  • Allydgal
    Options
    I think I'm focusing more on the macros than the calories, which is an error.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got the lifting part down.

Now work on the macros/cals part of the equation. Then you just need lots and lots of patience and consistency.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Looks like the calorie surplus has been covered. Rep range looks reasonable for your goal. What sort of work are you doing? Most lifting programs tend to under-hit the calves.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Making one of the leg days a little higher volume taking the reps to the 12-15 range wouldn't be a bad idea either.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    What types of LB workouts are you currently doing? Are you doing a program or working with a trainer?

Results take time...I do strong-lifts..but sometimes veer off that a bit and change it up. I'll also do some higher volume drop sets...
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Unless you are at a 10% to 20% surplus of your TDEE, it becomes very difficult to put on muscle. It's like trying to accelerate a car with no gas - it simply cannot go. Similarly, a body that does not have the appropriate nutrition to grow will not be able to, even when you are pushing it with workouts. You NEED the caloric surplus and the .8g to 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight to build your body.

Remember, you are fuelling yourself. And if you enjoy bagels and pizza, that's fine! Carb up before and/or after your work outs, as long as you are hitting your caloric surplus and getting adequate protein. After that, it's just consistency.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat in a surplus and lift progressively
    I've been seeing great results from my setup

-Low bar squats 4x5
    -Bulgarian split squats 3x12(so much pain)
    -Lying hamstring curls(toes pointed out)4x10
    Single leg hamstring curls(toes pointed in) 3x12
    -seated calf raises 4x14,12,10,8
    Leg press calf raises 4x10

And occasionally leg press for extra volume
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    What lifts are you doing? Squats, dead lifts, good mornings, lunges?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My skinny legs grew by over 2" just from running and yoga, from about 18" to 21-22", all lean mass as far as I can tell. It took a couple of years and seems to have stabilized, I wouldn't mind having them smaller but love having more power. I think you maybe aren't eating enough to get anything bigger...to gain muscle you have to gain mass, your weight will increase, that can't happen without eating more.