Please explain: HOW do you make it fit your calories?

Options

Replies

• Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I have two teen boys. I take what I want, then step away before I lose a hand. :p

I love this^
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at people who can fit a slice of pie every day in a 1400 calories diet! For me it's a 'once a month' thing top, even at 1900 calories I can't fit more than 200 calories worth of treats or I end up hungry (and that means no bready thing either).
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, Plan, Plan, Plan. I agree that whole fresh food is better than anything packaged. I do make a 'paleo' muffin - blueberry, apple walnut, pumpkin spice, etc. - that's grain- and sugar-free, that helps my GF and me fill that 'baked goods' craving. Seems to work for us.

But overall I agree with others here, that planning ahead is the key.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I try to purchase in reasonable quantities, make good use of my freezer
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is if you know anyone who opens a bottle of wine has any left over, un-friend them immediately...

I'm sure you mean well, but making mocking jokes about moderation in drinking supports the idea that it's OK to use peer-pressure and social bullying to get people to drink more than they should or more than they want. Yes, people are responsible for their own behavior, but that shouldn't be an excuse for bullying and peer pressure.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I don't eat that kind of crap. Sorry. I get my calories from nutrient dense foods. I eat healthy fats. And get full fast. Besides your body better uses whole food calories for energy then things that are overly processed that can get turned to sugar and fat.

I don't think anybody here on MFP eats crap.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I try to eat super nutrient dense meals. Like lean protien and a crap ton of veggies. I don't snack during the day. Then, at night, I can see what I have left and have some wine or a beer and some snacky stuff, mmmm....snacky stuff. Nothing goes bad in our house. If I leave a half a bag of chips or an opened bottle of wine someone polishes it off eventually.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I don't eat that kind of crap. Sorry. I get my calories from nutrient dense foods. I eat healthy fats. And get full fast. Besides your body better uses whole food calories for energy then things that are overly processed that can get turned to sugar and fat.

@Serah87 I agree, lorrpb threw this thread out there for suggestions and specifically asked for no sarcasm or attacks. As a very successful member of this community, I believe her post was meant to help others deal with these types of issues not as a means to tell anyone else how to eat.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    I have not read every entry, so I don't know if someone has mentioned this already: If I do want to have a particular treat (like hot cross buns the other day on Good Friday), then I will sometimes pre-log the treat at the beginning of the day (even if I'm not eating it until later on in the day). Having the treat pre-logged then allows me to work the rest of my daily calories around it. I may have to eat a bit less avocado or skip my dark chocolate or have a smaller portion of XYZ if I want to fit the treat in.

Hope this helps!
    I do this too - just thought it was worth repeating. I also do it if I know I am going out to a particular restaurant.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm amazed at people who can fit a slice of pie every day in a 1400 calories diet! For me it's a 'once a month' thing top, even at 1900 calories I can't fit more than 200 calories worth of treats or I end up hungry (and that means no bready thing either).

I don't eat pie every day. I usually make pie a few times a year and give some of it away so I end up with half a pie. Then I'll eat that over a few days. For a few days every few months I'm happy to sacrifice some calories from my primary meals for the pie. And maybe I even have pie for dinner one day ...

Then again I don't have a huge problem feeling satisfied on fewer savory calories so it's pretty easy for me to have ~200 calories a day to spare.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just exercise so I can eat what I want or sacrifice eating one thing I love for another. I would eat all the bread all the time if I could get away with it but I like eating chocolate too so, instead of getting a sandwich, I'll just get the protein and either a salad or....just the protein. :)

I did have an 800 calorie piece of cake a couple weeks ago which was weighed and logged and had to not eat other things I normally would have eaten but also made it last the whole week (not really sure how I did that!).
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Most of those things stay fresh for a few days.

I also eat less packaged food and shop less in volume.
    Use the freezer to break packs into smaller quantities you can prepare as needed.
    Or buy smaller packages?

Or, I'll prep and freeze food.

But yes, some wastage does occur. With planning, I try to keep it to a minimum.

This. I if I buy a tube of cinnamon rolls or biscuits or whatever, I freeze the half I'm not cooking at that moment. I freeze a lot of foods, and buy smaller amounts of things, and make a point of not buying or cooking stuff if I'm not going to finish it. (This means I eat a lot of leftovers for lunch.)

That said, I'm also a big fan of calling my ex-husband or roommate over to the pantry and saying, "I have X, Y, and Z and it needs to be eaten before it goes bad. Want in?" Or I have friends over for snacks. Communal eating is a great way to spread the snacks without anyone having to go overboard. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out if this is a serious question or not.

Like- how do you not realize how to save food and portion it out for the week?

The only thing I can't make really stretch is wine- my red wine goes icky after a few days- so I usually drink a bottle in 2-4 days.

but now that @Penthesilea514 posted that Vacu Vin- I might have to invest.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

sometimes it's a trade off.

I like to make the analogy
    I have 25$ this week.
    I can buy a lipstick- or I can buy food.

If I buy the lipstick- then I have no money for food. what's the option? Go hungry- or go into debt using my CC.

Same with the diet- only lipstick = pie.

You can either go hungry- or you can go into debt.

Sometimes I go hungry- sometimes I use the CC.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I think there is a percentage of fecal matter that's allowed in ppb in processed chocolates and stuff. So I mean- technically I think we actually do.

#yourewelcome
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I think there is a percentage of fecal matter that's allowed in ppb in processed chocolates and stuff. So I mean- technically I think we actually do.

#yourewelcome

:D
  • DearestWinter
    Options

I didn't think they did either but the food database says otherwise. :o

rvoe02yucll2.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options

#yourewelcome

Oh hell, so now when I say I eat a lot of crap, I really mean it? But...but...but...CHOCOLATE!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    If I want a cake I will make a mug cake. Any treat really I will just make a smaller serving from scratch. I won't waste and I'm too lazy to make it 99% of the time I'm craving it
  • DearestWinter
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

#yourewelcome

Oh hell, so now when I say I eat a lot of crap, I really mean it? But...but...but...CHOCOLATE!

And chocolate also has insect parts! Yum. :p