Please explain: HOW do you make it fit your calories?

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I don't eat that kind of crap. Sorry. I get my calories from nutrient dense foods. I eat healthy fats. And get full fast. Besides your body better uses whole food calories for energy then things that are overly processed that can get turned to sugar and fat.

I don't think anybody here on MFP eats crap.

I think there is a percentage of fecal matter that's allowed in ppb in processed chocolates and stuff. So I mean- technically I think we actually do.

#yourewelcome

Oh hell, so now when I say I eat a lot of crap, I really mean it? But...but...but...CHOCOLATE!

And chocolate also has insect parts! Yum. :p

I hate you all.

(Where's the oreo thread?!) :)
  • knittogetfit
    knittogetfit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've started planning indulgences around having people over or going out with friends. That way I know if we open (or order) a bottle of wine, it will be consumed that night among several individuals. For baked goods, I have always packed up the leftovers and sent to work with my husband, even before getting serious about losing weight. Getting the sweets out of the house ASAP is key. For bread, I either buy petite loaves at the local bakery or freeze it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't eat that kind of crap. Sorry. I get my calories from nutrient dense foods. I eat healthy fats. And get full fast. Besides your body better uses whole food calories for energy then things that are overly processed that can get turned to sugar and fat.

I didn't think they did either but the food database says otherwise. :o

rvoe02yucll2.png

Wait, so if imitation food is considered crap, what do we consider imitation crap?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just simply don't buy cake or pie anymore unless it is a birthday or some other occasion. I don't bake sweets all that much either. I'd rather buy bars of good quality chocolate or Bark Thins, make flavored Greek yogurts, or have low fat ice cream for dessert. I'll make sugar free pudding occasionally. I don't really miss baked goods to be honest. For whatever reason, cake just isn't that good anymore. I still like pie, but the ones I like are around 500 cals a serving, so yeah, don't do that more than once or twice a year. Cookies are only worth it for the homemade or bakery quality ones. Even then, I avoid because those are 200+ calories PER COOKIE. Agh!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I can't complain about my wine "going bad" and I often have bottles in the fridge for months after they've been opened. I keep them sealed with the pressurized stoppers. You can also buy several types of wine in smaller 4 packs, these are considered single serve bottles but would be perfect for the weekends if that's when you drink. As for the calories of wine I often mix a couple ounces of wine with a couple ounces of seltzer still makes me the social drinker but I don't have to worry about the affects of the wine as much and I consume half the calories.

I don't usually buy chips and dip but when I make homemade dips I often times eat them with veggies. For example buffalo chicken dip is amazing with celery. Spinach dip is better with pretzels or red peppers in my opinion. I also use my spinach dip in place of sour cream on mexican or southwest foods.

I don't often make "cakes" I tend to make cupcakes, the trick is to not frost the cupcakes, the cakes themselves should freeze/thaw very well. You can also alter the ingredients to cut down on fat and calories by using pumpkin, sweet potato, applesauce or canned pie filling instead of the oil, eggs and majority of the water if using boxed mixes.

I find I'd rather have a bowl of cinnamon roll flavored cereal (Special K makes a great one) than the fresh baked cinnamon roll.

Another thing is learn to make your own versions. Cream cheese icing is simple to make and you can really cut out some calories with a bit of effort.

The homemade bread, oh I fully enjoy this BUT it's a rare treat. We always eat the ends of the bread when it's fresh and then we tend to slice it and make into french toast which gets frozen and taken out in single serve sizes.

Pie is one I will order out when I know it's going to be good and most times just bring it home and take a bite a day.

Hopefully all these ideas have helped you, lots of people had great tips.

Don't be afraid of the freezer. By the way grapes freeze/thaw beautifully so instead of having to shovel in 3 pounds of grapes you can eat some and freeze some in individual serving bags and pull each day.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Lots of people say you can eat any food you want as long as it fits within your calorie goal. I understand the concept but How, in reality, do you do this? Please be specific. For example:

Potato chips & dip. If you eat 10 chips and a spoonful of dip, do you throw out the rest?

Get a small bag. I don't eat dip. Or eat them when you have other people around to finish them off. At times throwing them away does happen.
    A package of cinnamon rolls. You have one or split one, do you let the rest go to waste? Even if I planned one per day, which I don't necessarily want to do, they would go stale first.

Freeze them. Do it right away and not only will they keep quite a while, but they will thaw pretty much as fresh as they were when they were frozen
    A glass of wine at home-do you keep the unused portion of the bottle on hand for weeks or months, then throw it out when it gets too old?

Yes although it won't keep for months, but a few days yes.
    A cake or pie-you have one small piece that you want, then throw out the rest?

Did you normally eat a whole cake or pie between the two before you started to count calories? Usually cakes are eaten in group settings, if there is too much left over, either send it home with someone, freeze it, or throw it away. Both cake and pie freeze well also.
    A loaf of homemade bread, you have one or two slices then the rest goes stale?

Keep it sealed in a plastic bag like store bought bread and eat it over several days like most people eat bread.

Overall I think you are looking at the difficulties and over thinking them.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Oh and one more thing doritos! I will not give these up I have however altered how I eat them. They are now crushed up on the top of a taco salad, small bag gets purchased, they immediately get crushed and then used to top 2 fairly large salads.
  • rileysowner
    Options

Good for you. I am glad that works for you. It doesn't work for everyone, and frankly, I like to enjoy what you call "crap". It tastes good and satisfies me in ways that nutrient dense food never will. How do I know that? Well I went the route you are going. Lost a lot of weight that way. Eventually I missed those foods I loved the taste and feel of, and since I had never learned to eat them in proper portions because of my focus on thinking nutrient dense foods would be all I would eat, when I couldn't resist any longer I didn't eat them in reasonable amount, but ate them like I did before and spiraled down further and further to gain back what I had lost. It is not that I don't eat nutrient dense food now, but I enjoy with that, the other foods I like as well, and I am learning how to fit them in and what a serving of them looks like, and how I can be satisfied with that.

Your post comes over as arrogant and superior as if there is no way to fit in enjoyable foods while still being healthy. That is simply wrong, and no, those foods don't turn into fat when a person is in a calorie deficit, and that nutrient dense stuff will turn into fat just as quickly if you eat at a calorie surplus.
  • rileysowner
    Options

I think there is a percentage of fecal matter that's allowed in ppb in processed chocolates and stuff. So I mean- technically I think we actually do.

#yourewelcome

Allowed doesn't actually mean it is present, it just may be.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Oh and one more thing doritos! I will not give these up I have however altered how I eat them. They are now crushed up on the top of a taco salad, small bag gets purchased, they immediately get crushed and then used to top 2 fairly large salads.

Do they still have the 100 calorie bags of Doritos and Fritos? I miss those!

Sure it's easy to portion out your own but who wouldn't sneak a few extra whilst doing so? :)
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I tend to indulge more when I have company over - usually for a holiday meal - and then send them home with the leftovers. Unfortunately, I ate too many leftover potato chips after my guests went home on Saturday. I wound up throwing out the remainder and the leftover corn chips. I live alone, and I knew I'd wind up eating all the chips for breakfast the next morning if they weren't in the trashcan! I don't want to waste food, but I want to lose weight. Oh, the sacrifices we have to make! <back of hand to forehead>
  • glassyo
    Options

Good for you. I am glad that works for you. It doesn't work for everyone, and frankly, I like to enjoy what you call "crap". It tastes good and satisfies me in ways that nutrient dense food never will. How do I know that? Well I went the route you are going. Lost a lot of weight that way. Eventually I missed those foods I loved the taste and feel of, and since I had never learned to eat them in proper portions because of my focus on thinking nutrient dense foods would be all I would eat, when I couldn't resist any longer I didn't eat them in reasonable amount, but ate them like I did before and spiraled down further and further to gain back what I had lost. It is not that I don't eat nutrient dense food now, but I enjoy with that, the other foods I like as well, and I am learning how to fit them in and what a serving of them looks like, and how I can be satisfied with that.

Your post comes over as arrogant and superior as if there is no way to fit in enjoyable foods while still being healthy. That is simply wrong, and no, those foods don't turn into fat when a person is in a calorie deficit, and that nutrient dense stuff will turn into fat just as quickly if you eat at a calorie surplus.

You sound like you need some poop and bug ladened chocolate. :)
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    For example:
    Potato chips & dip. If you eat 10 chips and a spoonful of dip, do you throw out the rest?
    I don't buy potato chips anymore, since they're not filling enough to be worth the calories for me. For a similar snack, I pop my own popcorn on the stove now, because it's really cheap, the raw kernels don't go bad/stale for a long time, for me it's filling enough to be worth the moderately small amount of calories it has (thanks to how it's full of fluffy air and filling fiber), and I can add as little or as much butter as I'd like.
    A package of cinnamon rolls. You have one or split one, do you let the rest go to waste? Even if I planned one per day, which I don't necessarily want to do, they would go stale first.
    I've never been one to buy this many delicious sweet things at once, except for a rare party. I wouldn't buy this.
    I know ice cream isn't 'healthy,' but since it's frozen and easily measured, I keep it on hand, and I sometimes have a shot glass full (one fluid ounce) for dessert.

A glass of wine at home-do you keep the unused portion of the bottle on hand for weeks or months, then throw it out when it gets too old?
    I have cheat days every weekend. I am a lightweight though so even having the cheating wine is only 2 or max 3 5 oz servings for me. If it takes more than you can calorically afford to get drunk, maybe drinking should be saved for cheat days if you use them, or reduced entirely. Sad but true...
    A cake or pie-you have one small piece that you want, then throw out the rest?
    I never had a habit of buying this, I do like baking though. I only bake them for parties/holidays, and those days I save as cheat days. I wouldn't buy it now for normal days since it wouldn't fit into my counting plan.
    Oh also cake freezes well! I have had a slice of frozen home made cake a few times after a really vigorous cardio day when I also happened to not be hungry for a big dinner.
    A loaf of homemade bread, you have one or two slices then the rest goes stale?
    I'm not an anti-carb zealot, but I don't buy bread anymore since it's generally not worth the calories. I like burgers, so I buy burger buns, and I've found that the store-bought ones last for weeks, even past the expiration, if kept in the fridge. I wouldn't make bread anymore except for special occasions.
    Although as someone else pointed out, pre sliced bread DOES freeze well!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Snack size ziplocks for the chips.
    Another ziplock hack; pour hummus or black bean dip in, flatten it, and score with a chopstick. Freeze. Snap off a single square at a time.
    The salad comes out at every meal until done.
    Dinner leftovers are packaged in mason jars for the next day. The meal can be re-purposed with a side salad or put in a wrap.
    I buy a big block of cheese at a time, cut it in to individual portions, re-wrap, and freeze.
    Wine is for cooking.
    Skinny chai tea or an apple cored, filled with walnuts and Stevia, and microwaved. No need to buy an entire tray of pastries. You can also buy a single pastry at the bakery. Let temptation live there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts, to most of you who were kind enough to be helpful. Pretty much now I don't eat most of that stuff at all, especially at home, because I haven't figured out how to make it fit into my 1700 and maintain the level of nutrition I desire. I don't have a lot of wiggle room to eat a few hundred "empty" calories every day for a week to use up something that I want only a taste of one day. I can't eat 1200 one day so I can splurge on 500 extra calories the next. By "can't" I mean my body does not respond well to large swings in calories, lots of sugar or junk at once, etc. It's just not worth it to go there for me. You can agree or disagree with this approach, but I'm not here to argue or discuss that. It's one of my "givens".

I've never really cared for frozen baked goods because they seem to dry out, especially if reheating something like cinnamon rolls (and do you freeze the frosting separately, how do to that for one roll? If you frost it before you freeze it and wrap tightly to keep it fresh, what a mess when it thaws!) But I could try again.

A few asked what we did "before". Yes, two of us could eat a pan of brownies in a few days, a bag of chips and dip in one evening, maybe two. After a few days they get stale, IMO. The same thing with bread. It's never as good as the first day!

Of course, all of this is in addition to the mental/psychological aspect of not eating the food when you know it's in the house, but that's a different issue and not what I'm asking about. I think I'm at the point where I can handle that aspect a bit better than initially, which is why I'm asking about the practical side of the question.

And to those who think this is not a valid or serious question, please stay away.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    A typical bottle of wine only equals around 5-6 glasses of wine. If two of you are working on it, it will last in the fridge with any kind of stopper for 3 days. You can take it out of the fridge a bit before you will be drinking so it will get closer to room temp if you prefer it that way.

As others have said, most if not all of the items you mentioned will keep for at least a few days, well-sealed and refrigerated if needed, and longer if frozen.

It certainly helps if you are a repeat eater. In other words, I will be in the mood for something and so eat it every day for several days. A bottle of wine, a bag of chips, some cinnamon raisin bread, etc. As someone who lives alone, good quality sealed storage containers, freezer bags, and chip clips are invaluable. I only throw stuff out if after a few days I get tired of it and can't bring myself to finish it off, but that rarely happens because I hate to waste!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts, to most of you who were kind enough to be helpful. Pretty much now I don't eat most of that stuff at all, especially at home, because I haven't figured out how to make it fit into my 1700 and maintain the level of nutrition I desire. I don't have a lot of wiggle room to eat a few hundred "empty" calories every day for a week to use up something that I want only a taste of one day. I can't eat 1200 one day so I can splurge on 500 extra calories the next. By "can't" I mean my body does not respond well to large swings in calories, lots of sugar or junk at once, etc. It's just not worth it to go there for me. You can agree or disagree with this approach, but I'm not here to argue or discuss that. It's one of my "givens".

I've never really cared for frozen baked goods because they seem to dry out, especially if reheating something like cinnamon rolls (and do you freeze the frosting separately, how do to that for one roll? If you frost it before you freeze it and wrap tightly to keep it fresh, what a mess when it thaws!) But I could try again.

A few asked what we did "before". Yes, two of us could eat a pan of brownies in a few days, a bag of chips and dip in one evening, maybe two. After a few days they get stale, IMO. The same thing with bread. It's never as good as the first day!

Of course, all of this is in addition to the mental/psychological aspect of not eating the food when you know it's in the house, but that's a different issue and not what I'm asking about. I think I'm at the point where I can handle that aspect a bit better than initially, which is why I'm asking about the practical side of the question.

And to those who think this is not a valid or serious question, please stay away.

In my experience, frosting freezes and thaws very well. I'll typically cut the cake (or whatever I'm freezing) into individually servings, wrap with foil, and then pop them into the freezer. I will pull them out the day I want to eat them . . . I never notice any issues with drying out.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

#yourewelcome

Oh hell, so now when I say I eat a lot of crap, I really mean it? But...but...but...CHOCOLATE!

And chocolate also has insect parts! Yum. :p
    This is honestly why I'm not worried about someone spitting in my food.

The poop, not the insects. I've always wanted to try insects.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Higher than most TDEE makes it pretty easy..
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    LOL @dearestwinter...My favorite on that list has to be "Bites of Crap" I'm hiding at my desk at work still giggling over that one.