Pre-Diabetes, Anyone Successful in Heading Off Diabetes?

Options
I have bloodwork done every year because I'm on Lipitor. I've been bad and gained back previously lost weight over the past two years, and my latest blood test results indicate that I'm prediabetic. It's scary since my mother, who died in her 50s, was a diabetic and there's more history of it in my family.

I know some people can head off diabetes and even drop below prediabetes levels, with diet and exercise, but it still scares me given the family history. I could really use some motivation in the form of success stories! Has anyone been able to get back to normal blood test results after hitting the prediabetes level? I'm going to be diligent in diet and exercise, but at age 51 I worry that I'm too far gone to totally undo the damage. It would really help to hear some successes.

Replies

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had been pre-diabetic for several years, but hadn't gotten to the point of medication yet. I ignored it, thinking it was inevitable at my age, conveniently ignoring the fact that my weight was probably the culprit. I hovered around 230 pounds for many of those years.

Last November, I had gotten down to 173 pounds, and my blood tests revealed that I was no longer pre-diabetic. This was from weight loss only, by counting calories. I was walking for about a month in the summer, but that is all the exercise I have gotten (hoping to start again soon). I was also on two blood pressure medications and a statin for high cholesterol. The doctor took me off of one of the blood pressure medications because my blood pressure was too low, again due to weight loss. He said that if my numbers continued to improve, he would probably take me off the statin and the other blood pressure medication at my next checkup in May.

I am 60 years old, female, 5'6.5" tall. From a recorded high of 238 pounds, I'm now down to 157, with about 20 more to go. It is never too late.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You are not too old.
    I feel better than I did when I was 25. Thanks to this place.
    (still have more healthy to go).
    Tips
    - Get a digital food scale from walmart, target or bbbeyond. Worth the $20.
    - Focus on healthy, and don't get tangled up on fads.
    - Protein, fiber foods, and lots of water pulled me through.
    - Log everything.
    - Don't shower unless you exercise at least 10 minutes beforehand (I've gone many days without showering). Even leg lifts count.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was pre diabetic in my early 40's and dropped below with diet and exercise. My latest blood work has me back at the pre diabetic range. I think it is because I was slacking in my exercise. I am being more strict again and hope to lose a few more pounds and increase my exercise a bit. This winter I plan to join a gym because that is when I tend to slack. I am almost 50 and plan on getting back in range soon. We can do this.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I just found out last week that I'm pre-diabetic.

I've cut down my carbs and sugars cold turkey and am physically feeling better. I go back in (I think?) 3 months for another A1C test. My biggest things is my weight...and...well...love for everything carb-y.

Finger's crossed. Feel free to add me!
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's good to see these success stories! I go back in three months for follow-up bloodwork, so I'm using that as motivation to make my lifestyle changes NOW. I'm a walker, and I also have plenty of exercise DVDs from my prior weight loss, so I have no excuse not to exercise even when it's too hot outside (summer's here early in FL). I'm close to 190 at 5'3" so I've got a ways to go, but it starts with that first step and my health is a big motivator.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The levels of glucose are different for diagnosing prediabetes, depending on where you are. In the UK, 42 mmol/mol is the lowest limit. Last year, my HbA1C was 42. At my follow-up test 4 months later it was 44 - despite losing close to 2 stone (28lb) between tests.

I was referred to a diabetic nurse and dietician, who recommended a low GL diet. I got my latest result just 2 weeks ago, and it was 34 mmol/mol so I'm safely back in the 'normal' range. My GP said I can't lose the prediabetic diagnosis just yet though, as there are strong genetic links for me plus I'm sometimes put on steroids which raises my BG levels.

ETA I'm older than you OP, so don't let that stop you :-)
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have my own personal success story to share, but my grandfather was diagnosed with full-blown diabetes in early-1990's (and he was so unhealthy, the docs gave him less than 5 years to live). Well, that scared him more than a little, and he turned his life around with diet & exercise (mostly diet, he wasn't huge on the exercise bit; he gave up carbs & sugar). Within a couple of years he was off all medication and by 2000 wasn't even considered diabetic or "pre"-diabetic anymore. He died in 2009 (from cancer) but had no further issues with diabetes whatsoever! It can definitely be done!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @HomeatWDW as you can see there is good success at preventing and reversing Type 2 Diabetes since typically it is due to one's eating lifestyle. Below is a video of an MD that reversed his type 2 diabetes. The second link is a blog on the subject. Best of success.

https://youtu.be/zjUdtK6ukqY

dietdoctor.com/diabetes
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I have done it--in spite of family history of both type I and II and being on a medication that pushes people into diabetes. My A1C has been at or below 5.0 for several years.

I tend to get 1-2 hours of exercise per day unless I am ill or injured. Usually an hour is casual (walking, social dancing) and an hour is more intense--gym workout, fast lap swimming, etc. I eat a moderate-carb diet heavy in vegetables, between 50-100G carb/day and get a lot of protein.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was just one number away from having to start medication for type 2 Diabetes, but I managed to change my lifestyle to include healthier eating habits, and more exercise. As a result not only did I dodge the need for the medication, but I was taken off two blood pressure medications as well as my cholesterol medications. I will say at first its not that easy but the more you stay with it the more it becomes habit.
  • masdec7
    masdec7 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My husband is a full type 2 diabetic. Recently with healthy eating plan and CICO eating, his meds are slowly being reduced. He is in his mid 40's. My father, mid 60's, is doing the same healthy eating plan (he actually introduced us to it) and his meds have been drastically reduced also. You can revers this!
  • hdrj22078
    hdrj22078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to cut out cereal, bread and beverages with sugar. I was told I was prediabetic in Jan. 2015. That scared me I'm 38 and have several in my family that are diabetic. So I started watching everything I ate. I felt better then I had in years. Unfortunately I gained 9 pounds of the 23 I lost back this past winter. So hopefully I can get back on track and lose alot more.
  • bragaj17
    bragaj17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm watching carbs, fats and sodium because I refuse to be put on metformin, a statin and lisinopril. I currently take one medication only, and only because it keeps me alive. I'd like to think that with healthier choices, I can keep it that way!
    I'm due for labs shortly, and I've been tracking since 2/1, so I'm hoping to see a downward trend in my fasting glucose and LDL.
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    I would love to get off of statins. I've been on them for decades because of my family history of young deaths due to heart attacks. My current doctor thinks it's possible. My main problem there is triglycerides and I know my diet plays a big role. He wants me to watch that and to also take a fish oil supplement. For the prediabetes, in addition to diet and exercise, he mentioned specifically avoiding carbs in the evening. Not sure how that helps, but I'm currently staving off the temptation of a croissant downstairs that's calling my name. I'm going to take the dog for a nice, long evening walk instead. Thanks for all the inspiration!
  • naiyachan54
    naiyachan54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My father was pre-diabetic several years ago (at the time, much older than you if that helps). He lost weight and has kept a healthy diet, and his blood sugar has been normal ever since! Essentially, he is "cured" but he has to watch it and keep the weight off. There is hope, if you lose weight now and get in shape, you likely won't ever become diabetic. Try to think of it positively; you are being given a second chance as it were, to get and stay healthy. :)
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    I'm definitely using it as motivation. I'm doing better with exercise than eating, but the eating habits are slowly but surely changing too (it's a great thing to remind myself about when I'm craving a carb snack at night). We have a book of paleo slow cooker recipes that we just got, not because it was paleo but because they looked so good. I think that will help with dinners.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Yes! Check out Dr. Sarah Hallberg. She has a youtube channel as well. She's on the cutting edge, but sooner or later (hopefully sooner) it will be common knowledge. The ketogenic diet is highly effective both for preventing and treating diabetes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    Thanks for the ketogenic info. I poked around online and also found some good info. on Paleo Leap, all backed up with links to studies and a good layout of the pros and cons. It's very interesting, as I'd never heard about that type of diet before.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic with a diagnosis 6 weeks ago. I am on metformin. My numbers were very high.

It did motivate me to lose weight and be stricter with my calorie input. I limit my carbs and avoid as much sugar as I can.
    The result-now down 10% of my total body weight. I've gone from obese to overweight.

Cause isn't just lifestyle. My sister-18 months older-and heavier than me had tests in the normal range.