Is eating rice a good idea?

Options
Nertak
Nertak Posts: 34 Member
Since dieting I have been spending a lot more on food then I used to. I was thinking of incorporating rice into my diet since its really cheap. Is this good idea or is rice just dead calories?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I think rice is fine, but I don't have issues that would preclude it. If you want rice and it fits into your goals, eat some.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Looks like it has some iron and a little bit of protein, so I wouldn't call it "dead." Like above, if it fits and you want it, go for it.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'll allow it.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I don't find it very filling on its own, but it's a great addition to many dishes.

I like to cook a serving of rice to go with some chicken soup. Gives me a pretty good amount of food for ~300-400 calories total.

~Lyssa
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Nertak wrote: »
    Since dieting I have been spending a lot more on food then I used to. I was thinking of incorporating rice into my diet since its really cheap. Is this good idea or is rice just dead calories?

White rice used to be a daily staple for lunch, 2 cups a day.
    I started to count calories and I decided to replace white rice with a mix of brown rice and quinoa for nutrition sake. These days is 0.5 cup of quinoa and 0.25 cup of brown rice.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I like rice and there's nothing wrong with it, but, I find I get hungry rather quickly after a rice dish. Potatoes are cheap too and I find them more filling and longer lasting.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Whit rice, brown rice, quinoa and etc. are all okay in moderation. Just make sure you stay within your nutrient limits. If you're concerned that you might go over, put the rice in your diary first, then adjust everything else to fit. Also, that's a good way to incorporate snacks into your diet; load it first...
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    we eat a lot of rice.. mostle risotto (im italian so its our mac and cheese), fried rice with veggies smd eggs, rice pilaf, and mexican rice. I love all the rice and all the carbs.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I eat what I want but I weigh and measure everything I eat. I personally wouldn't eat more than a 1/2 cup of rice per meal, depending on the type of rice you use. But of course you should eat it if you want it. :)
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    <3 me some rice. I agree with above posters, if it fits, add it in. I usually eat it 3-4 times a week myself.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Our government health care puts out a magazine, Apple. It has a low salt chicken and rice recipe that hubby is still raving over. About an hour in the oven, one pot, very simple. Coming from a health magazine it even feels virtuous.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    There are about 40,000 varieties of rice growing throughout the world so... what are we talking?

Anything in moderation is fine. I choose to avoid white rice myself because I find that (for the amount of calories in a serving) it does not keep me full or satisfied for very long.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Supposedly you shouldn't eat rice too often as it naturally contains Arsenic, you can google for more info and there's stats on what's a 'safe amount' of different types of rice and rice products for adults and for children.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Dieting would mean eating less food, so you'll spend less money; rice is not empty calories and you don't have to cut out anything you like. Balance and moderation in all things :)
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I ate rice all throughout my weight loss; mostly brown rice.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Rice, beans, and potatoes are all great foods for stretching a budget. Brown rice had more fiber and vitamins than white rice. If you are looking for healthy rather than filler I would go with beans and legumes. Lentils cook in about the same time as white rice.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Rice and quinoa are high in carbs. Might be a good idea to put the rice in your diary first, then build the rest of your diary to keep you within limits.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Rice is a great grain - probably my favorite. Don't be afraid to add it to your diet.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Supposedly you shouldn't eat rice too often as it naturally contains Arsenic, you can google for more info and there's stats on what's a 'safe amount' of different types of rice and rice products for adults and for children.

How in the world does China have so many people if this is true?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have brown rice almost every day. It has fiber. It has nutrition. It has no sodium. While white rice is easier to prepare and more people are accustomed to it, it has no fiber and no nutrients while having no sodium. It's only value is in driving up your carb macro and helping you get a sugar high and subsequent crash. But, hey, maybe that's what you want.