Is eating rice a good idea?

Replies

• toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    I eat it every day. It is a cheap, easy carb.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Supposedly you shouldn't eat rice too often as it naturally contains Arsenic, you can google for more info and there's stats on what's a 'safe amount' of different types of rice and rice products for adults and for children.

Arsenic content depends on where it is grown and the water source for growing it.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    First time I've heard of the arsenic problem. Well, so much for my rice milk ... From what I'm reading the consensus seems to be there's no short term danger in eating rice, but long term effects are unknown as are the environmental variables involved. Brown rice is unfortunately worse than white and California basmati is the lowest in arsenic content per the Consumer Reports link below.

https://www.food.gov.uk/science/arsenic-in-rice
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm319948.htm

Here's a researcher who's looking into the arsenic compounds in rice:

http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2016/jan/organic-arsenic-rice-012616.html
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    makingmark wrote: »
    Supposedly you shouldn't eat rice too often as it naturally contains Arsenic, you can google for more info and there's stats on what's a 'safe amount' of different types of rice and rice products for adults and for children.

How in the world does China have so many people if this is true?

and to think they have a one child law on top of it (they are allowing some families to have two now)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Brown rice is too much of a hassle, so we eat bulgur instead, and actually prefer it to brown rice.

I don't really eat white rice unless it is coconut rice with poke or something. White rice is too pasty tasting in general to me.

Everything in moderation.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    i prefer potatoes. and since I grow alot of them they're my favorite. but You can but like 10 pounds of rice for $5 at the canned food store we go to so we do eat some. And it keep well.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I have mixed feelings about this. There are all kinds of naturally occurring stuff in the foods we eat. Fish at the top of the food chain have heavy metals in them because, well, they're eating from the top of the food chain. Licorice, rhubarb, the green part of potatoes, and many other plants we eat have bad things in them. Mangos are in the same family as poison ivy and can cause contact dermatitis. Various crops can pick up heavy metals from the soil.

In other words, you can get "organic" foods from your local Whole Foods or health food store that contain things that are bad for you. My perspective is, none of us are getting out of this alive, and as long as you eat a variety of things you'll keep your "dosage" of bad things low enough so it won't be much of a concern. Worry too much about this stuff and you'll drive yourself crazy.

I had some brown rice just now with dinner. I don't eat it every day, and I don't plan on cutting back on an occasional mango, bar of licorice candy, potatoes, or top predator fish like tuna or salmon.
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    I eat rice twice a day, I'm fine... I eat red/ white rice, I've also tried black rice, it's delicious!
  • Huge1993
    Huge1993 Posts: 14 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    none of us are getting out of this alive

Absolutely brilliant.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Eat rice all the time....typically a cup a at lunch....alternately two cups at dinner....
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I eat rice a lot - I generally prefer the taste and texture of brown rice, but white goes well with some meals.
    I usually measure out a half cup serve, that's enough for me and is not much more than 100 cals.

I don't consider any food "dead calories", if there are calories you are getting energy, which is one of the reason's to eat. Of course, you want to ensure you are getting good nutrition too, which you can do by eating a variety of foods.

Don't overthink this.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    I like rice and there's nothing wrong with it, but, I find I get hungry rather quickly after a rice dish. Potatoes are cheap too and I find them more filling and longer lasting.

This is me too. I like rice (all kinds), but it has a very low satiety level for me. It works better if I add a protein/veggies with it.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member

Yet society has been eating large amounts of white rice for decades and we're all fine. It's all about the dose-I suspect the dose for this would have to be outrageous in order for it to do damage.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

And fish contains mercury... dosage is key. Also, that is the reason why we have livers and kidneys, to filter that kind of stuff out of our systems to not harm us.

I eatz all the rice!!!
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    I eat rice a few times a week, but I don't make it a large part of my meals. For example when I make fried rice at home my recipe if 50% rice 50% vegetables. If you are adding meat you can go even lower, like 30% rice 20% meat 50% vegetables.

Also I know healthy eating can seem expensive, but you can save a lot of money by making things yourself from scratch. For example, it's a lot cheaper to buy a bag of beans and cook them yourself than to buy canned beans. On the flip side there are some things which are cheaper to buy already made, for example pancake mix and spaghetti sauce (depending on the brand).

Another way to save on healthy eating is to cut back on meat. I noticed that my shopping bill is almost cut in half since I have been having more meatless meals and meals where the meat is more like the side than the main dish. Meat is expensive and lean meat is even more $$$. For example when I make sloppy joe I replace half of the meat with brown lentils.

You can also look up tips for buying more fatty meats and making them lean through the way you prepare and cook them. For example I read a few articles that said if you buy 80% lean ground beef and brown it on low heat for a longer time it helps the meat release more of its fats and you can reduce the remaining fat even more by rinsing the meat with hot water after it's cooked, some might worry that this might take away from the flavor, although to me meat doesn't have much flavor anyway.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    yes
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Not sure how it is cheaper to buy pancake mix. All it is flour, baking powder, egg or egg white, water/buttermilk/milk/non-dairy milk. I don't bother adding sugar to mine. I mean, why? You are going to drown it in sugar anyway. No one has ever missed the sugar in the pancake.

I make my own buttermilk from culture. Takes like 1 minute to actually do anything (add store bought live culture buttermilk to a quart Ball jar 3/4 full of milk) and then you just wait a day for it to clabber at room temp somewhere. Put in fridge and use when needed. When you need more buttermilk, add more milk and leave out for another day. I haven't bought buttermilk in months now because you can keep generations of the bacteria alive indefinitely as long as you regularly feed - just like sourdough starter or yogurt.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    My family eats a lot of rice. We are all healthy and fit. Don't buy into the woo about white rice. Just fit it into your calorie goals.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    I'll allow it.

LOL!!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I love rice, but I prefer mixing it with other grains like rye, farro, kamut, quinoa etc. for variety. If you're near a store which has bulk bins then it can be cheaper than buying pre-packaged.