My protein shake is too caloric

Options
Rit1603
Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
Hi I noticed my protein macros were always very low and never met the requirements so I decided to add homemade protein shake. my favorite is this choc shake which is so smooth and really a pleasure to me BUT too caloric!

Sunwarrior organic vegan protein powder
Coconut milk
Raw cacao powder
Banana
Brazil nuts
Flaxseed
Stevia drops
By weighing all ingredients it comes out 1 serving at 450 calories so most of time i eliminate the brazil nuts and use water instead and goes down to 333 calories although it looses that dense feeling.

Any other nice mix you can suggest, at 350? Consider the protein powder scoop is always 100 calories it's not easy to stay low!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't go putting all the nuts and stuff in mine. I can do two cups of almond milk, ice, stevia, cocoa powder, strawberries, xanthan gum, and 60-70g of greek yogurt and powder for around 250. I also really like using pumpkin. A whole 122g serving is only 50 calories and can really thicken up a shake. A whole banana really adds a chunk of calories.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in the stevia drops? I would suggest using an overripe banana and see if that alleviates the need for the stevia drops.
  • arditarose
    Options
    How many calories are in the stevia drops? I would suggest using an overripe banana and see if that alleviates the need for the stevia drops.

none
  • Rit1603
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't go putting all the nuts and stuff in mine. I can do two cups of almond milk, ice, stevia, cocoa powder, strawberries, xanthan gum, and 60-70g of greek yogurt and powder for around 250. I also really like using pumpkin. A whole 122g serving is only 50 calories and can really thicken up a shake. A whole banana really adds a chunk of calories.

Wow good recipe! What is the use of xanthan gum? Never used it .
  • Rit1603
    Options

Stevia no calories
  • HStheBusyBee
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »

Stevia no calories

Just completely ignore me then haha
  • Rit1603
    Options
    I really want to keep that gooey feeling because with this i don't feel the urge for sweets or chocolate and that's a big deal for me, I adore chocolate.
  • arditarose
    Options

Stevia no calories

lololol. You're like...you should take out the zero calorie thing and keep the 120 calorie thing.
  • HStheBusyBee
    Options

Stevia no calories

lololol. You're like...you should take out the zero calorie thing and keep the 120 calorie thing.

tumblr_nbqwn1GVOM1sycjgmo1_500.gif
  • arditarose
    Options

Wow good recipe! What is the use of xanthan gum? Never used it .

Xanthan gum is a thickening agent. It has like 5 or so calories depending on how much you use.

Maybe you could try using a little less banana, and the gum. Or try the pumpkin instead. I do a really nice pumpkin shake with snicker doodle powder, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon, walden farms syrups, sometimes 10g of oats, cocoa powder, stevia..I've even added ground coffee and it was surprisingly good. None of my shakes are ever over 300 calories. I try to keep them to 250.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds are great nutrition wise, but tend to be high calorie; may want to use less or cut out altogether (1 tablespoon is roughly 50-60 calories)
    (or add in flax on days where you actually need/use more calories)
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm going to be honest. Banana calories have always pissed me off. I LIKE bananas but I've never been willing to accept banana calories. Not enough bang for my buck, personally.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    2 scoops protein powder, and a bit of water. I don't get the rest of the stuff in there unless you are trying to make it higher calorie.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    half and freeze the banana and quit the nuts, maybe try a PB2 powder if you want a nutty flavor. The frozen banana will add thickness
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest. Banana calories have always pissed me off. I LIKE bananas but I've never been willing to accept banana calories. Not enough bang for my buck, personally.

i feel the same.. if i do eat a banana in my smoothies i put like 50 grams for sweetness. Bananas really piss me off ha.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    2 scoops protein powder, and a bit of water. I don't get the rest of the stuff in there unless you are trying to make it higher calorie.

agreed... for me a smoothie and a protein shake are different for me. I mix my protein powder with water... and make smoothies with fruit, yoghurt, veg ect.
  • arditarose
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

i feel the same.. if i do eat a banana in my smoothies i put like 50 grams for sweetness. Bananas really piss me off ha.

I get really mad when people tell me to eat mashed up frozen bananas for ice cream. I'm like....why? I even eat weird low calorie ice cream but a banana can have more calories than freaking Edy's Slow Churned. Ah it grinds my gears.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    To get a thick shake, I add a couple of ice cubes and use frozen fruit. Also, a quarter cup of ricotta cheese makes it really thick and rich. With cocoa powder and a frozen banana or frozen strawberries you have yourself a real taste treat. My favorite combination: cup of water, couple of scoops protein powder, two ice cubes, 1/2 to 1 frozen banana or 3/4 to 1 cup frozen berries, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1/4 cup reduced fat ricotta, some stevia if you need it a little sweeter.

My smoothies/shakes tend to run around 300 calories when I have one; pretty hard for me to find a recipe that's really satisfying that's lower in calories.
  • writerchickplus5
    writerchickplus5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a lot going on with that shake! I would watch the protein powder-some of them have arsenic and metals in them. Just a little fyi.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a lot going on with that shake! I would watch the protein powder-some of them have arsenic and metals in them. Just a little fyi.

Haha yes it is a very nice tasting one! But i will definitely check about the powder. It is organic and vegan it is brand sunwarrior organic vegan non gmo plant based protein i think is a good product but i will che k again

I guess i have to ditch some ingredients there's no other way!