Does anyone NOT count calories? How do you figure out how much of something to eat?

Options
Hi, I've been counting calories for about 2 years now, sometimes I skip adding some food here and there but I mostly plan out all my food every day on MFP.

I find it annoying to weigh food and to always have to refer to my phone in order to check how much of something I need, or to edit the quantity.

If theres anyone on this forum who stopped counting calories, can you tell me what is your method of knowing how much food to eat. I am always eating different things and sometimes I get take out lunch such as salads so memorizing portions isnt efficient. Any advice on this?

Thanks

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I don't log very often anymore. I counted my calories for about 18 months, 6 years ago, while I lost weight then during the first six month or so of maintenance.

For the past few years I have relied on portion sizes apropriate for me, knowing the approximate calories in most food I eat, and feeling sated.

I log for a few weeks here and there during the year to re establish portion sizes, and to alter my NEAT if life has changed.

If you are confident with portions and weigh yourself frequently enough to monitor your intake it is doable when you are losing, just not as precise.

Cheers, h.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I can eye it out pretty good now I mainly just track Macros at this point but I do weigh myself every morning
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 50 pounds and have been in maintenance for 17 months. I stopped counting calories last summer. Logging and weighing got boring, and redundant, because by using MFP for 18 months I had already learnt how to eat - what kinds of foods works for me, what proper portions looks like, what hungry and full feels like. I had also started a spreadsheet meal plan/food log; the original purpose was to eat myself out of the fridge before a vacation, but I continued to use it, as it was easier and quicker to plan meals there than in the food diary and I could see several days at one glance. I created color coded "slots" for fruits, vegetables and nuts. Experimenting with number of meals, I could see a structure starting to form - I noticed I liked breakfast to be either this or that, same with lunch, plus a couple of additional options; dinner is just meat/fish+starch+vegetables or soup/casserole; evening meal is when I prefer to calm down with nuts and/or cheese. I eat quite similar from day to day. After I started weekly dinner themes, I rotate through all my dinners so that I get en even better rythm and balance.

I still weigh calorie dense and uncountable foods like milk, sandwich spread, rice, pasta, peanut butter, nuts. For planning purposes, I also weigh vegetables that I chop, and things like frozen peas and yogurt. Foods that come prepackaged, either from the factory (portioned items) or from nature (apples, pork chops, potatoes) - I'll just pick one (or some) that looks the right size. I don't eat lots of "convenience" foods; most is made from scratch - ordinary foods, nothing fancy, but tasty and easy. This is a plan I want to stick to.

I know that if I stick to this plan, I will maintain my weight - or, actually, slowly lose, but I'll have "treats" now and then, and the size and frequency of those push my weight upwards. I weigh every day, and when I approach the top of my set range, I cut back on the treats. That makes my weight go back down again. It's fascinating to be able to regulate my weight without counting calories. Sometimes all those years of struggling with food and being overweight or afraid of gaining weight, feels like a just bad dream. (No, not really :# I've worked hard for this.)
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I dot not log and weight, but I eyeball things, and keep a mental tally of approximately how many calories I eat and burn off. If the scale ever starts going up instead of normal fluctuation, I can start logging again, pr make other adjustments.
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    By listening to your body (eat when truly hungry and stop when you feel satisfied not so full to you can barely move) and portion control
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When I last hit maintenance I continued logging for a few months and then just ate what I wanted. This wasn't a binge since I had acclimated to eating less for months.

Then the only thing I watched was the scale. I had picked a three pound weight range above my ideal weight and if I stepped on the scale and weighed over that range (even by a pound) then I would just eat less for a week (one less cookie, always leaving food on the plate, etc.) until I dropped back into my range. If I didn't drop back within a week then I had to go back to logging for a bit.

Of course maintenance eventually failed when I didn't bother stepping on the scale for a year.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm approaching my 3 year maintenance anniversary (April), and up until a few months ago I'd have said not counting was working well for me. I was a pretty big advocate of intuitive eating (especially for maintenance). However while it worked in the short term, the further away I got from my initial weight loss phase, the easier its been to lose focus and let more and more things slip in. This morning I finally admitted that not counting calories just doesn't work for me, for the long term. Back to counting/tracking as of today, and working on losing the maintenance creep I've gained. Not tracking may work for some, and it worked for me short term, but I now know it doesn't work for me for the long term.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When i was my lightest 55kg i never calorie counted. I just reduced amount of everything i ate which was a healthy home cooked meal with plenty of vegetables. I never ate processed foods..so there ya go. I am going back to that way now and it works.
    I want to be at the stage where i never need mfp again and im getting really close now.

I think that's something a lot of people on MFP strive for.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just count calories for a year. After that's over, you can eyeball almost anything.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.
    I am really bad at intuitive eating. I often dont actually feel hunger signs, and if I undereat (even by a little) I end up eventually being really fatigued and 'blah'. But at same time If I eat too much the scale goes up. This is why I am stuck counting calories and cant seem to figure out how to do it without mfp.

Im trying to figure out how to know what is a good portion. Maybe using measuring cups, spoons would be a better option, and just making sure I dont go over a certain amount ? For example grains maybe should be limited to not more than 1 cup, something like that.

I dont want using a food scale and mfp to be a lifelong method for me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Here is a descent article covering this topic...

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just count calories for a year. After that's over, you can eyeball almost anything.

I counted for over two years, stopped counting and fast forward a few months- here I am again, with weight creep going on. I envy those who can stop counting/tracking and maintain long term, but I'm curious to see how many can actually do that?
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Here is a descent article covering this topic...

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide
    Thats very helpful thanks.
  • OneTwentyThree
    edited March 2016
    Options

I counted for over two years, stopped counting and fast forward a few months- here I am, with weight creep going on. I envy those who can stop counting/tracking and maintain long term, but I'm curious to see how many can actually do that?

I think when you stop counting you need to still be mindful of what you are eating and the portions. I think the reason some gain weight is because they start being more lenient with types of food and portions.
    From personal experience when I stop counting, I still eat healthy but I am completely lost on whats the right portion for me. So i think the key to stop counting calories is to learn portion control.. Which i am terrible at :/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I counted for over two years, stopped counting and fast forward a few months- here I am again, with weight creep going on. I envy those who can stop counting/tracking and maintain long term, but I'm curious to see how many can actually do that?

This^

I've been "eye-balling" for 50+ years. I also thought I could get away from logging (after 2+ years) .....nope.

OP - some people are going to be able to manage this feat. Others will never manage it (raises hand).

If you really want to stop counting then look for a different method. Example: the "No S" diet. No seconds, no sweets, no snacks, except on days that begin with S (Saturday, Sunday, special days). Intermittent fasting could be an option (eating window, or strict 500 or 600 calorie days here and there) to keep things in check.

Make sure you keep moving. Always. Don't quit exercise after the weight is gone. This will give you some wiggle room.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    If you find it cumbersome to count, why not take a couple of weeks as a trial period and see how things go? I would guess there are a number of people on MFP who don't count and are still successful. I am not one of them unfortunately :(
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would also vote for the No S Diet - it was one of my inspirations and I use some of the principles, eating meals (but four instead of three) and reserving snacks and sweets for Special days. Mostly :D I think if my diet was more "junky", I'd have to track.

You always have Rosemary Conley's portion pots for colorful portion control without shelling out money to BB.
    "Precise portion" plates etc following the "plate model".
    Some of these look nice but I prefer to either eyeball or weigh.

IMO "intuitive eating" has become the holy grail. I'm ambivalent, to be honest. Lots of people can't eat properly without being mindful/aware. These terms are a little fuzzy, and are both opposites and the same. The trick, I think, is to learn what your body really needs, not just how much you can stuff into your stomach. I started with the hunger scale, and bloggers like Isabel Foxen Duke has taught me a lot.
  • OneTwentyThree
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would also vote for the No S Diet - it was one of my inspirations and I use some of the principles, eating meals (but four instead of three) and reserving snacks and sweets for Special days. Mostly :D I think if my diet was more "junky", I'd have to track.

You always have Rosemary Conley's portion pots for colorful portion control without shelling out money to BB.
    "Precise portion" plates etc following the "plate model".
    Some of these look nice but I prefer to either eyeball or weigh.

IMO "intuitive eating" has become the holy grail. I'm ambivalent, to be honest. Lots of people can't eat properly without being mindful/aware. These terms are a little fuzzy, and are both opposites and the same. The trick, I think, is to learn what your body really needs, not just how much you can stuff into your stomach. I started with the hunger scale, and bloggers like Isabel Foxen Duke has taught me a lot.

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I seen the BB portions on tv before and have been trying to remember what it was called. I think this would be easier for me especially as life gets busier. I feel like my life (work,school) involves enough math already without the calorie calculations lol. Sick of counting but at same time my body is impossible to figure out what it needs 'intuitively'. Thanks im going to check out those portion plates also and the blogs you mentioned.

Diets such as 's diet' dont work for me because im generally a healthy eater my only problem is figuring out the right portion and exercising consistently. I have digestive issues so I dont really eat snacky foods, junk, anything with gluten or processed food (usually).

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    When i was my lightest 55kg i never calorie counted. I just reduced amount of everything i ate which was a healthy home cooked meal with plenty of vegetables. I never ate processed foods..so there ya go. I am going back to that way now and it works.
    I want to be at the stage where i never need mfp again and im getting really close now.

I think that's something a lot of people on MFP strive for.

I know I'm looking forward to that day!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't think intuitive eating would ever work for me. All I did most of my life was intuitively eat my way up to just under being supermorbidly obese.

I don't need MFP, but I do need to keep track and be mindful of what it is I am putting in my mouth at all times. It would be nice to just be able to eat whatever, not care and still lose or maintain weight, but that's just not reality.