Anyone else work out at home?

Options
Hi! This is my first post on MFP, but I've been with this site for nearly three months. My weight loss started with a promise to go two months of eating only healthy food and snacks while at work, and eating what I wanted after that (all of my coworkers are super healthy). Then I found this site and began to see how bad some of by favorite foods were.

I now eat better, work out, and feel better than I have in a long while. That said, the scale no longer rewards me in the mornings, nor does my measuring tape (I mind the tape far more than I care about the scale). I'm doing all the right things (workouts with bursts of intensity, changing up my routines daily, lower salt and sugar, 8-12 cups of water a day, an HRM to keep track of my calories), but it is a little frustrating and disheartening.

So I'm looking for others who work out at home. I only have time to work out in the mornings, and I can't make it to the gym at 5:30am, but I don't want to give up exercising for that reason. Since I work off of DVDs and such, it's easy to get bored, so does anyone have tips, or fitness instructors they love? Workout routines that really seem to work? I'm really trying to tone up rather than shed pounds (though shedding isn't bad either!).

Replies

• ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I get sick of the same old dvds too...Netflix has some good ones on instantly, and a lot of great ones that you can get in the mail.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred is good bc it lasts about 27 minutes. I have kit at home, so dont ned to go to the gym any more, maybe you could buy some too?
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    the only option for me is to work out at home... netflix is my best friend <3 and i like the dance off the inches videos...
  • candaceshe
    Options
    So hard to workout at home! I think the key is to find some that are fun- I love Cardio Barre and Brazilian Butt blast! I want to try zumba sometime too- that one looks interesting
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I get some great workout videos at the public library (Richard Simmons older ones are a hoot). Sometimes I don't do the videos, just watch them while I use stationary bike or walk/jog in place. The Leslie Sansone Walk DVD are EXCELLENT.
  • Indy_mom
    Indy_mom Posts: 15
    Options
    I have fun hoola hooping on the wii fit, and it burns lots of calories :)
  • Grimlock1030
    Options
    Yeah, insanity and p90x is what I use. If you stick with it you will get the results. I've lost 9 lbs in two weeks. Check out YouTube to see them.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Turbo Jam series...although I keep hearing that Turbo Fire is awesome, so I ordered that yesterday! I do workouts both at home and at our local rec center, but I'm with you...when at home, the DVDs are the way to go!

Oh, I also agree with Stagma...the Leslie Sansome DVDs are great...especially the ones containing "boosted walking"!!
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We've created a mini gym at home. If you have the space and can afford some second hand equipment, I'd highly suggest it. We have a treadmill, elliptical trainer, and a bowflex. Along with several DVD's, exercise balls, free weights, etc. The more you have available at home, the better. You can throw in a workout quick and easy without the drive time anywhere else. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Keep going, don't get too frustrated, the results will come. I just finally broke a plateau I've been in for nearly a month now! Not sure what I did different, but something kicked in. ;) Good luck!
  • 1440Fierce
    1440Fierce Posts: 28
    Options
    I work out at home. I recently just moved to a small isolated community in northern canada. Which enables me to work outside with some privacy (which is nice, as long as I have enough bugspray, that is :glasses: )

I highly suggest P90X! You see and FEEL results fast, within the first week or two. It comes with three programs, I'm using the Lean program, which focuses more on weight loss and cardio. However, if you've been working out for a while. I suggest 'Classic'.

Tae Bo is pretty good, too (fun) :smile:
  • NishaFa
    NishaFa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do P90X, Insanity, and Zumba. I love the results I am getting from them.

There are so many workout dvds out there and not all work for everybody. I have a huge library of workout dvds that I have purchased throughout the years. My hubby tells me I can open a fit club in the home with all the dvds and workout equipment I have. However, I finally found some that work and are truly fun. It will take time but please don't do what I did and waste all the money trying to find what you like. I suggest going on youtube and doing a search for workout videos there and you can find a sample workout and see if you'd be interested before you buy it.
  • amcgowan10
    amcgowan10 Posts: 17
    Options
    Crossfit has some good workouts to do with little or no equipment that are short. I especially like "Annie" but I replace the double-unders with tuck jumps.

The workout is:

50 tuck jumps
    50 sit ups
    40 tuck jumps
    40 situps
    30 tuck jumps
    30 sit ups
    20 tuck jumps
    20 sit ups
    10 tuck jumps
    10 sit ups

and you do it as fast as you can! If you aren't dead after that, I give you all the credit in the world.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My usual morning is up at 4am, coffee, working out by 4:30. Weights 30 minutes, elliptical 60 to 90 minutes, weights 30 minutes. Or Treadmill instead of elliptical. I mix up what I do with the weights and use different settings on the elliptical. I can't stand the videos (too perky) in the mornings so it's just working out.

For weight equipment I have a bench and free weights. I also have one of the most effective machines I've seen the "power tower" it's mainly for ab exercise, pullups, and pushups. But it give a huge workout when done right. With no weights and nothing to adjust I find I'm more likely to use it that things I have to set up between sets.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do, in the am and I have done a lot of different programs you have to find one that works for you. I have done the 30 day Shred, and many of Jillian Micheals other workouts. I have done Insanity, P90X, and Turbo Jam, Zumba and now I ma doing Turbo Hire! Good luck and here is to hoping you find success!
  • stacybee14
    stacybee14 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home too, and like you, I do it early in the morning. I also occasionally put my kids in the double stroller and go for a brisk walk, but I never go to a gym or anything.

As for DVD recommendations, Cathe Friedrich is my very favorite instructor. I think she's so much better than any of the other instructors on my other DVDs - she's kind of ruined my DVD library, since it's hard for me to go back to the "other guys" now! My husband and I just started her STS strength training program, and I have a bunch of her step workouts too. She also has some cardio workouts that don't require a step, but I don't own any of those. You can go to her website, www.cathe.com, to check out video clips and such.

Best of luck to you!
  • Bjninja
    Bjninja Posts: 44
    Options
    How did you like P90X? I've been thinking about it, but I've seen a lot of people get sick doing it, so I'm a bit worried.
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    I'm doing Dance Your *kitten* Off right now. I like it so far--I'm always moving and I like how I feel after I finish it. It's about a 45 minute long DVD too, so you get plenty of exercise!

I've been thinking about doing P90X but I'm afraid of hurting myself...I have bursitis in my right knee. Any advice?
  • EmilyDezo
    EmilyDezo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always work out at home and I do a lot of Denise Austin workouts. You may check your local library because at times they have workout videos for checkout.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Do you have Time Warner cable? If so, use their On Demand (it's free) Exercise Tv. You can do a different workout every day. I love it because I can change my workout based on my mood. I can do yoga in the morning and if I have 10 minutes later in the day I can do a 10 minute workout, or I can do a cardio workout in the morning or a sculpting workout, etc. I really like the variety. You can also go to exercisetv.tv and download videos cheaply or for free.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    hello yes i workout at home doing richard simmons ' dancing to the oldies" and i love it . I also do wii fitness at home its a wonderful game console ; with lots of activities to do.