Ectomorph Cutting :|?

Options
Current Weight: 140 lbs.
Height: 5' 11

I currently have an excess amount of facial fat (primarily the jawline / neck area; if you still consider that the face), and a smaller amount in the cheeks and forehead.

Currently I've been on a caloric surplus to help gain muscle; it's been slow but working. Late December 2015 I weighed around 118, I've gained around 20 pounds since.

An old friend of mine is returning home early to mid May and I want to be like "my old self".

I let myself go after I graduated highschool (the last time I saw him), was eating whatever I saw, which was usually entire bags of chips, pop tarts, soda/pop, you get the jist; junk food. I was most likely eating well below my maintenance calories and was probably eating an excessive amounts of sugar, fat, and sodium (definitely sugar and sodium). Which, I'm guessing, caused my face area to gain more fat that expected. I was oblivious to it all, too.. trying to look my best, if you will, for this old friend. :) it's been 2 years!!

Anyway, I'm planning on possibly "cutting" for a few weeks in April (and the rest of March) while on a low(er) Calorie diet, maybe doing cardio daily (or every other), then begin gaining weight once more after I lose some of the face fat (and whatever else is lost! :/ )

I have it very easy when losing weight.. (tbh it's a curse..) and I'm wondering what you think will happen?

I've read that an individual needs to lose quite a lot of weight to see a difference in the face..

I'll be eating a similar diet to the one I'm currently on (organic/paleo), consuming a lot of greens and nothing processed, just with fewer calories (about 20% less than my maintenance?)

I've also read that the "fat" in your face (from poor diet & lack of nutrition) can be lost while gaining weight, for ectomorphs, too. Because most of the fat held in the face is all water weight and eating a 1,500 mg (and lower) sodium diet with clean food will slim it down as I bulk.

Any opinions?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Depends - if trying to lose fat, then very important to restrict carbs, keeping below 100 grams/day.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Ectomorphs don't exist, and fat in your face is just like fat anywhere else, from excess calories no specific foods.

Fat is fat and water weight is water weight, if you think it's just bloating from water weight you could lose that within a week but if it's fat you're gonna need to reduce calories and that could take a while depending on if your face is a stubborn area for you or not.
  • Sangraw
    Sangraw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Alright thanks :)
  • Sangraw
    Options
    Should I ask a nutritionist for advice? Or some other Healthcare professional.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose? You're already at the thin end of your healthy bmi range. Your old weight of 118 is severely underweight (bmi of 16.4). At most, you should lose only a few pounds. Honestly, you may just have round cheeks, and I fear that if you really can only perceive yourself as attractive at a fairly emaciated weight, you may have some body dysmorphia issues you should work through.

Have you been evaluated for an eating disorder?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you are already at the very bottom end of a healthy weight for your height, you should not lose weight. It is unlikely that you have excess fat on your face. And yes, it would be a good idea for you to see a doctor or a registered dietitian regarding this (not a nutritionist - anyone can call themselves that). Best of luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Sometimes genetics dictate where some hold fat. Many of my Korean friends seem to have more fat on their cheek areas even though they aren't over weight.
    And as mentioned, somatotypes (ecto, meso, etc.) don't exist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sangraw
    Options
    Actually turns out it's dehydration. O: Thank you all for the feedback.. can still continue working out and maintaining a healthy weight. :)
    stormyview wrote: »
    How much weight do you want to lose? You're already at the thin end of your healthy bmi range. Your old weight of 118 is severely underweight (bmi of 16.4). At most, you should lose only a few pounds. Honestly, you may just have round cheeks, and I fear that if you really can only perceive yourself as attractive at a fairly emaciated weight, you may have some body dysmorphia issues you should work through.

Have you been evaluated for an eating disorder?

I was when I weighed 118, didn't. Just poor self care back then. Was more being oblivious than poor self care, but it's all deat with.