Tummy ache from Cantaloupe?

Options
Yesterday I cut into a big ole cantaloupe and cut myself some chunks, sprinkled some sea salt on it...like I have always done...and not 2 minutes after I finished my serving, my stomach started cramping and hurting like crazy! I'm talking full on, doubled over cramps and pain!
I have been eating cantaloupe for ages and never had this happen before!
Anyone know what's happening? Melon belly? But why all of a sudden?
TIA

Replies

• melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    maybe you ate slower digesting foods before? melons are the fastest digesting foods for humans, so it catches up to the rest of the stuff in your digestive tract and because its got high water and fiber, it will keep pushing down to get past the slow digesting foods and this causes bloating and cramps. many high carb vegans / fruitarians eat melon first thing of the day for optimal digestion :)
  • LarasLosingIt
    LarasLosingIt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I will keep that in mind...if I ever touch cantaloupe again! Right now I'm not touching another piece! That pain is something I never want to expirience again!
    Thank you! :)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I cut into a big ole cantaloupe and cut myself some chunks, sprinkled some sea salt on it...like I have always done...and not 2 minutes after I finished my serving, my stomach started cramping and hurting like crazy! I'm talking full on, doubled over cramps and pain!
    I have been eating cantaloupe for ages and never had this happen before!
    Anyone know what's happening? Melon belly? But why all of a sudden?
    TIA

This happens when I eat some fruits that are under-ripe. Green bananas do it to me too.
  • LarasLosingIt
    Options
    it was fully ripened and yes, of course I washed it...although I didn't eat the rind itself, just the fruit inside.
    I have been eating Cantaloupe for 30 years and never had this happen.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • LarasLosingIt
    Options
    Thank you Janet! That's good info. I was super cold and had chills all night but no fever. I was thinking food poisoning at one point. It was scary. I tossed the rest of it in the trash.