Lifting

Options
Will lifting bicep weights affect my weight loss programe? I am eating
in a calorie deficit.

Replies

• amandatcv23
    amandatcv23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No, but make sure you're eating enough to carbs and protein to support muscle gain. If you're lifting heavy it will help burn fat
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Very little. Working Legs will do much more.
  • mbird2132
    mbird2132 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are skipping leg day? Shame.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    No, but make sure you're eating enough to carbs and protein to support muscle gain. If you're lifting heavy it will help burn fat

Gaining on a deficit is not an option!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a good full body program rather than just doing bicep work.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mbird2132 wrote: »

Why?

• jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I agree on full body and also be aware that other than "newbie gains" you will not build muscle while in a deficit.
  • dcoitino77
    dcoitino77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If your weight lifting then you should take in enough calories in order to have enough energy to follow through your work out regimen. Weight lifting also burns fat quicker than brutal cardio. The heavier the weight that you can manage of course the more you'll burn and for longer period of time. Google it you'll see Bodybuilder.com
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Why?

latest?cb=20110316150317

That's why.

Seriously though, the body needs to be balanced. You should be working all of your muscle groups, not just your upper body. Just know that gaining muscle while eating at a deficit is highly unlikely.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A full body lifting routine will actually improve your fat loss. When we diet we lose weight in the form of fat and lean mass. Following a full body lifting routine will help you retain that lean mass, meaning you'll lose mostly fat. Working legs can actually provide a testosterone boost and since those muscles are bigger they will provide a better calorie burn compared to just biceps or chest.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    A full body lifting routine will actually improve your fat loss. When we diet we lose weight in the form of fat and lean mass. Following a full body lifting routine will help you retain that lean mass, meaning you'll lose mostly fat. Working legs can actually provide a testosterone boost and since those muscles are bigger they will provide a better calorie burn compared to just biceps or chest.

Biceps are one of the smallest muscle groups trained. Pretty much a waste to train in isolation.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Why?

latest?cb=20110316150317

That's why.

Seriously though, the body needs to be balanced. You should be working all of your muscle groups, not just your upper body. Just know that gaining muscle while eating at a deficit is highly unlikely.

Lol this^ op do a full body lifting program to help maintain muscle and have the weight loss come more from fat then muscle. Bodybuilding.com has a lot of programs you can check out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - you are coming to the end of your golden years for lifting, don't waste your gym time doing bicep curls.
    Research the difference between compound lifts and isolation lifts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - you are coming to the end of your golden years for lifting, don't waste your gym time doing bicep curls.
    Research the difference between compound lifts and isolation lifts.

exactly I've been lifting for 3 years and have yet to touch the curl bar that was bought for me.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

I am just working on my biceps. I am a
    male,25 years old,86kg

You're gonna look funny with big biceps and no triceps or shoulders...
    You should for sure look into a well rounded lifting program.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Check out stronglifts 5x5 for a good, free, whole body beginner lifting program that will get you real results rather than just a muscle imbalance.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    caurinus wrote: »
    Check out stronglifts 5x5 for a good, free, whole body beginner lifting program that will get you real results rather than just a muscle imbalance.

+1
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Working a muscle without working it's antagonistic muscle group and the muscles that support it is not a good idea and can result in injuries.